Private income and the HCR

Discussion in 'RAC' started by gillyjk, Dec 18, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. Alrigjt guys,

    I'm currently at Harrogate and hoping to change cap badge to blues and royals, only issue I have is I hope to commision before I'm 25 as this is one of my aspirations after my platoon commander and sergeant recommend I leave and re apply as an officer. I wasn't interested in the direct entry route and was told I could commision before I was 25 in the junior ranks with my Gcse's. Do you have to have a private income in the HCR in order to commission or is this just a rumour? Also I'm in week 15 so anyone know if Im likely to get the change?
  2. But it will help.
  3. You are extremely unlikely to be able to commission back into the HCMR having come from the ranks, one notable individual tried it recently and was fobbed off by all Cav regiments. He was however, a tool, so go figure.

    As to private income, your mess dress bill comes in at approximately £6,000 (the grant covers around £2,000) including all the 'extras"; black tie, suits and accessories. Your sword will be another ~£1,500 and then the cost of living and entertaining in London is steep. Whilst not all Officers in the mess are rich, another recent entrant (uber tool) inherited £100 million on his 18th birthday.

    Your call.
  4. You get a free horse though
  5. And you will be a babe magnet!!.
  6. OK, you seem to be somewhat misinformed in a number of ways.

    1. No you do not need a private income to join any part of the Army.

    2. As you may or may not know, there are three routes to commissioning as a regular army officer.

    a. The first is to go to Sandhurst straight from civilian life (having passed AOSB, etc.), the second is to be recommended as a junior soldier (normally LCpl/Cpl) and then passing AOSB, etc. and going to Sandhurst to do the same course as those people who join straight from civilian life. Both of these routes mean the individual will do the full Sandhurst course (44 weeks) and (provided they pass) will come out as a newly minted 2Lt. In both cases the officer is described as being "Direct Entry" or DE.

    b. The other route to commissioning is where a senior rank/WO (SSgt-WO1) becomes a "Late Entry" officer. In this case he or she will go to Sandhurst for about 4 weeks and pop out as a Capt. LE officers are generally employed in different jobs and roles to their DE colleagues, such as as QMs, MTOs, RCMOs, etc.

    3. While LE officers normally commission back into the regiment or corps that they served in as a soldier, this is commonly not the case for DE officers who have served in the ranks and commissioned from LCpl/Cpl. There are exceptions, but generally soldiers in the Infantry and HCAV/RAC do not commission back into the same regiments. Therefore, if you where to join the Blues and Royals (RHG/D) as a soldier and then go to Sandhurst and commission at the age of 25, you would be extremely unlikely to go back to the Household Cavalry. You might go to one of the other RAC regiments (there are a few ex-ranker DE RAC officers knocking about), but most tend to go to other parts of the army.

    4. You mention GCSEs. You should be aware that the minimum academic qualifications required to become a DE officer (via either commissioning route) are 2x A levels and 5x GCSEs (grades A-C, of which one must be in English Language and another in Maths). These are the absolute minimum just to be considered and most officers greatly exceed these standards. What this means is that if you ever want to be an officer, you really need to get some A-levels as a minimum so that you qualify down the road.

    A couple of pieces of more general advice. Firstly, if you want to be an officer you would be best off staying in school, getting your A-levels and then going to university and getting a degree (and of course getting stuck into some female students!) There are officers who join straight from school with no degree, but they are few and far between and most people just do not reach the required standard of maturity at that age. Although some serving soldiers do get recommended for officer selection, it is no where near guaranteed that you will be recognised as a potential officer and put forward. If I'm honest, I don't think the HCAV/RAC is as good at putting quality soldiers forward as potential officers as other parts of the army and therefore if you do want to go along this route you might be better off joining RA, RE, R SIGNALS, AGC(RMP), RLC, etc.

    I would recommend talking it through with your recruiting staff and trying to pin down exactly what you want out of the army, whether it is service as an officer or as a soldier and then figuring out how best you can get there.
  7. Not strictly true my Cav friend... If you are recommended for Commission from the ranks the minimum you require is GCSE A-C equivalent in English and Maths.

    Even if you do not have these you can be assessed by a friendly ETS Officer and as long as your functional skills are at that level you can get a waiver to attend AOSB briefing.
  8. ... unless you don't happen to own a medium-sized English county.
  9. I wasn't aware of that, but am perfectly happy to be corrected. I would still ask how often these waivers are issued...

    My point remains though, if you want to be an officer, you are better off staying in education and going to Sandhurst direct simply because relatively few soldiers are recommended for AOSB/commissioning (certainly in the RAC).
  10. I had missed the point about being at Harrogate. That being the case, you are absolutely right.

    I am assuming that they do not do A-levels at Harrogate...?
  11. Junior Soldiers at Harrogate get functional skills qualifications in English, Maths and ICT (Computers). What level they get to in a year of training depends on them but most achieve level 2 which is equivalent to GCSE A-C. (This also qualifies them for CLM as well).

    Not sure about numbers of OCdts who have had waivers given due to lack of qualifications although I know they do exist. In my (limited) experience most ex rankers are only educated to GCSE level.

    Brave-Coward's point about Commissioning from the ranks is a fair one though. I wouldn't bank on it. Its far too dependant on the whim of whatever OC/CO you have at the time, if they don't like you/don't see enough of you/can't be bothered to help you then you might as well forget it even if you have better leadership skills than Rommel.