Private Healthcare - other options to BUPA?

Discussion in 'Finance, Property, Law' started by Mr_C_Hinecap, Jan 21, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm looking into some private healthcare cover - for many reasons. BUPA appear to give healthy discounts to us Armed Forces types - I was wondering whether anyone had any experience of them, or any other alternative products? Cheers.
  2. I was looking for some earlier this year........just before I fecked myself up big style

Most appear to be straightforward "Insurance"

Below has a a big range of products but having it all tabulated doesn't really help generally, the only difference is the monthly wack. Would be nice to have consumer reports on each company

I'd advise anybody, sproggy tom or creaky old LE to have some, generally the price of a quiet night out a month

I had to fast track my treatment to get back to work and it cost me over two grand basically to have a chin with a consultant, X-rays and blood tests etc, I would have got treatment for free on the NHS but it would be months rather than days

If you experience both NHS and private and compare you will never stop paying your premiums
  3. How being forces affects you I have no idea............................
  4. I have had bupa for 7 years now,cant fault them.

I have used them a couple of times for knee ops,what would have been a very long wait on a nhs list took 2 weeks with bupa.

Hospital was like a posh hotel room,and could not fault room service either :D
  5. Theres also PPP who ob balance appear reasonable and cover you world wide....friends have used them and have no complaints.....and no I dont work for PPP. :D
  6. Anyone know if it's cheaper to join when you're still serving?
  7. The reason I'm asking about BUPA is they give a 47% discount to serving personnel against one of their rates. I've sent off for the information pack so can only compare once I have a good read.
  8. Mr C Hinecap

You could also consider health cash plans as a cheaper, alternative way of managing the cost of everyday health care.

The difference is that with private medical insurance policies if you have a medical complaint or illness you automatically get private treatment, which is paid for by the policy. Whilst a health cash plan enables you to have medical and dental treatments, whether private or NHS, which you pay for and then reclaim some of the cost against the policy, dependent on the level of cover you select.

To give you an idea of cost Forces Financial will be launching a new Health Cash Plan for forces families based in the UK on the 1st February with premiums starting from £15 a month. Details will be available in branches and on the Forces Financial website soon.

Forces Financial is a trading name of Stuart Harvey Insurance Brokers Limited who is authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority. Registration number 301858. Registered Office: Globe House, 24 Turret Lane, Ipswich, Suffolk, IP4 1DL
  9. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Private healthcare is the way to go. I don't live in the UK so can't really comment on the NHS. In the last 5 years though I have needed a brain scan, nothing wrong in the end, but instead of taking weeks I was on the table in 20 minutes. I also had to have a small operation to remove a lump in my groin, found out 1600 Monday, had the op 1100 Tuesday. Works for me.

It costs me about 100 euros a month I think and covers things like new glasses every two years as well as the usual stuff.

If you want the peace of mind of knowing you will be treated quickly and indeed very well go for it, after as has been said its about the cost of a night out.
  10. BUPA hospitals are worth the money on their own, and normally paid for in full. Should you ever need an operation, check the rates of the surgeon and anaesthetist with BUPA - as they will only pay so much towards their cost and many surgeons / anae-etc have not signed up to the BUPA rates. Any disparity is paid by the patient.

Also you'll probably have a set figure toward 'outpatient' consultations and tests. My recent blood tests cost £345 (!), and tipped me over my annual limit of £1500, so I owe them £100- still worth it though.

My excess is £200 so if things are looking like you're heading to pay some of the bills, and it's more than (in my case) £200 - try and work your treatments into the next financial year and start anew.

I wasn't always a BIFF by the way.