Private Finance initiative for Search & Rescue

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by fuggyred, Nov 5, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Bill Rammell (Minister of State (Armed Forces), Ministry of Defence; Harlow, Labour)

We intend to continue with the PFI project for search and rescue, which will provide an effective way forward. A decision was taken last year that we could operate on the basis of 24 crews. As soon as it became clear to me that that was not possible, I immediately instructed that we move back up to 28 crews, which I know the right hon. Gentleman welcomed. I also know that a number of Members have particular concerns about the issue. It is extremely complicated.

Speaking in the HoC 2/11/2009

2. meridian

meridian LE Good Egg (charities)

i dont know why we can't get the Coastguard to do SAR like they do in the majority of countries.

The RN and RAF don't do it in it's entirety now anyway, just seems like a cobbled together solution and is bleeding scarce resource from the forces although I can see some trainining benefit for aircrew

I can't quite see the point of RAF mountain rescue either, should be a fire service / police job

3. Too complicated for Rammels intellect to deal with, but then I guess he struggles to tie his shoelaces in the morning.

PFI - a great scam to make you pay for it tomorrow.

4. Well that is SAR sunk then - if you'll pardon the pun.

5. Hmmmm I worry about this. The Nimrod report has shown us what happens when core business gets outsourced and PFI'd.

6. I think the RAF only have 2 teams now at Valley and Kinloss, all the other teams are volenteer as is the RNLI and all cave rescue teams
    I think they might try and get SAR out sourced to charitys like the air ambulance services

7. Delete: "It is extremely complicated"

Insert: "It is complicated because a load of lobbyists and Consultants such as KPMG have blinded me with complete fanancial bollox, I've been buttered up by the bidding company concerned and when I lose my seat at the General Election this spring I will obviously take up a place on the board that so many of my Honourable (sic) colleagues have done, so there"

8. We already do...in their trusty contractor-operated helos! Curse you financially motivated contractors for rescuing people!

9. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Woot! Give that man a chocolate biscuit (on expenses of course) :wink:

10. Firslty, it's cause, just like with the RNLI, its cheaper than creating something like HMSAR and coming up with a budget.

Secondly, because the SAR experience was always with the military. The pilots for the coast guard are civvy contractors, some, ironically, are ex-mil SAR crews. Even when the PFI comes in, most of the crews will remain military because that's where the experience is.

The aircrew shortages are yet again another symptom of piss poor funding and neglect by the government over the course of the last 15-20 years both Labour and Tory. The SAR crews are as overworked and overstretched as the rest of the military and just like the rest of us, have been voting with their feet.

11. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

My understanding is that the Royal Navy and RAF SAR provision is primarily an insurance for their own aircrew. Civilian casualties and emergencies are useful for practice! That's why (for instance) the Portland and Lee SARs went over to HM Coastguardwhen the RN pulled out from those bases. I would imagine it is the Coastguard bit which is now to be farmed out.