Private Eyes Act of Remembrance

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Proximo, Nov 6, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Noted ARRSEr Ian Hislop is taking the act of remembrance onto the chav loaded streets of Britain:

Good man - not entirely surprising - but I don't think we could ask for a more acerbic proponent of what the 11th of November is all about.

The full story is here
  2. I remember his defence of the statue of Napier on HIGNFY a few years ago, when Red Ken wanted it taken down.

For a short arrse, he's a good bloke IMHO, and this programm will hopefully find a wider audience due to his involvement, rather like I imagine the Clarkson VC programme did last year.

Kind regards

3. Looking forward to watching this tonight
  4. Could be a good chap to get involved in the campaign for a State Funeral, for the last surving World War1 chaps
  5. Is it going to get shown on BFBS?
  6. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

It doesn't involve the moronic ball-kicking game, nor is it an antipodean soap-opera with low production values, so probably not one for BFBS.
  7. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Good programme, I was shocked to see the broken memorial stone found in a skip in Marleybone. I hope CH4 might get it repaired and replaced somewhere with the Bank of Scotland's help.

It was suprising how many plaques are about we never even see or know about.
  8. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

9. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

Looking at the 'Lost Generation' website, I wonder how many War Memorial hospitals have been renamed to something more PC?
  10. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Our's is still the War Memorial.

Also wards in a Cardiff hospital have the names of Somme battles, i.e Mametz etc.
  11. I was quite shocked to see Ian Hislop's first visit was to the war memorial in Hull my Great Uncle Louis' name is on. This looks set to be an excellent series - we hear a huge amount about Generals etc but too little about the ordinary people affected by war. Maybe it will stir councils and local people to look after these memorials.
  12. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

13. Slightly off thread, but for what it's worth I can recommend Private Eye as an excellent and informative read.

It is not all humour with some serious commentary on newspapers, politics, media and news items.

The send up of Mr T. Blair as a parish vicar has me in tears each issue.

Been a subscriber for several years and best use of a few quid I have ever made
  14. Good lad Hislop - at least with him at the helm we wont get the ubiquitous band of Z-listers jumping on a band wagon and chavving up the cause.

Probably in 2008 just after the first screening of the Queens Mother's state funeral.
  15. I missed this programme. Was it any good?