• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Private Eye article - No government help for SSAFA!

Taken from Private Eye No. 1209 2 May - 15 May 2008:

SQUARE BASHER said:
Despite a string of complaints about pain relief medication arriving hours late, soldiers being left to lie in their own faeces and inevitable outbreaks of MRSA, the NHS hospital at Birmingham Selly Oak remains the first port of call for troops wounded in combat in the 'Stan or the Sandpit.

It is well known that visits from loved ones can raise morale and speed recovery, and a scheme is now underway to develop accomodation for the families of those being treated at the hospital.

Given what Gordon Brown said in his first speech as prime minister - "we honour all those who in distant places of danger give so much to our country", describing health care as "a fundamental right", is the government funding the new accommodation? No. It has been left to a charity, The Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Families Association (SSAFA) to find the cash.

Already struggling to find enough wheelchairs for amputees and enough rooms to rent for families who have just been told that a loved one has been seriously wounded in combat, SSAFA is now begging on the internet for funds. "We still need to raise a substantial amount of money," it says, asking "anyone in a postion of influence within the defence industry or other major company" for help.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Sadly for PE it's a bit half-informed. That's a shame because I usually admire them as a news source that's reliable.

I believe this is part of an ongoing SSAFA campaign to raise funds to keep the two houses going, and there was a post about it on Tuesday-ish. I'll try to find it, but I'm a bit useless at searching arrse.

Recently I attended an event where a military doctor from Selly Oak explained about the man lying in a dirty bed thus:

Some of these patients are in a lot of pain, and are managing their pain relief themselves. To have your bed changed when you soil yourself is a very painful experience. The patient at the centre of the storm had asked nursing staff not to change his bed every time this happened, because it was a lesser evil than the pain of being moved when the bed is changed. The person making the complaint didn't raise it when he was on the ward, but chose to raise it with the press afterwards. Had he mentioned it at the time, this would have been explained.

All this seems plausible to me.

But I still think that the Government should be funding the houses that SSAFA are running, not charitable donations.

Does any reader of this site seriously expect the repellent Brown, or the equally repugnant Browne, to give a single toss about such matters?

oldbaldy

LE
g2_loony_bin said:
Taken from Private Eye No. 1209 2 May - 15 May 2008:

SQUARE BASHER said:
Despite a string of complaints about pain relief medication arriving hours late, soldiers being left to lie in their own faeces and inevitable outbreaks of MRSA, the NHS hospital at Birmingham Selly Oak remains the first port of call for troops wounded in combat in the 'Stan or the Sandpit.

It is well known that visits from loved ones can raise morale and speed recovery, and a scheme is now underway to develop accomodation for the families of those being treated at the hospital.

Given what Gordon Brown said in his first speech as prime minister - "we honour all those who in distant places of danger give so much to our country", describing health care as "a fundamental right", is the government funding the new accommodation? No. It has been left to a charity, The Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Families Association (SSAFA) to find the cash.

Already struggling to find enough wheelchairs for amputees and enough rooms to rent for families who have just been told that a loved one has been seriously wounded in combat, SSAFA is now begging on the internet for funds. "We still need to raise a substantial amount of money," it says, asking "anyone in a postion of influence within the defence industry or other major company" for help.
I'm a god!
Quoted in Private Eye.
No woosey Telegraph or Times for me :D
http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=89128/start=0.html

Grownup_Rafbrat said:
Sadly for PE it's a bit half-informed. That's a shame because I usually admire them as a news source that's reliable.

I believe this is part of an ongoing SSAFA campaign to raise funds to keep the two houses going, and there was a post about it on Tuesday-ish. I'll try to find it, but I'm a bit useless at searching arrse.

Recently I attended an event where a military doctor from Selly Oak explained about the man lying in a dirty bed thus:

Some of these patients are in a lot of pain, and are managing their pain relief themselves. To have your bed changed when you soil yourself is a very painful experience. The patient at the centre of the storm had asked nursing staff not to change his bed every time this happened, because it was a lesser evil than the pain of being moved when the bed is changed. The person making the complaint didn't raise it when he was on the ward, but chose to raise it with the press afterwards. Had he mentioned it at the time, this would have been explained.

All this seems plausible to me.

But I still think that the Government should be funding the houses that SSAFA are running, not charitable donations.
As do I, they are not infallible, but they do provide some cracking commentary on the state of things.

I couldn't really post half the article, that would be unfair, the main reason for my posting of it was the SSAFA situation (my second bold) and not the treatment of soldiers within the hospital which has been excellent at times, you cannot discount that.

Square Basher is not the only Private Eye (See what I did there) who is a member of Arrse ;)

Yes the article is slightly misleading and emotive to my mind, but then again, it does bring the matter to the fore.

Will the Private Eye Arrse reps be attending City Salute?

oldbaldy said:
Hang on.
Will people think I'm Ian Hislop. We are both bald & both have an interest in WW1. :?

But unlike you he is not old enough to have served then!

oldbaldy said:
I'm a god!
Quoted in Private Eye.
No woosey Telegraph or Times for me :D
http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=89128/start=0.html
= Time to get the beers in!!

On a more serious note, whilst not entirely accurate, the article does hammer home the most important point of why are the goberment not funding this!

Trust me on this, Old Baldy is much bigger than that dwarf Hislop and with regards to the City Salute is there a start time yet? Every time I look on the web it doesn't give one.

OB, do Central Office know you are leaking info to Private Eye?!!!

oldbaldy

LE
jack-daniels said:
with regards to the City Salute is there a start time yet? Every time I look on the web it doesn't give one.

The sunset pageant will take place in St Paul’s Churchyard on 7 May 2008. The event will run from approximately 20:00 to 21:00, with the son et lumieres continuing until around 22:00.
http://citysalute.stage.ln-trust.com/event_info/index.aspx

OB, Personal assistant to JD :D

oldbaldy said:
jack-daniels said:
with regards to the City Salute is there a start time yet? Every time I look on the web it doesn't give one.

The sunset pageant will take place in St Paul’s Churchyard on 7 May 2008. The event will run from approximately 20:00 to 21:00, with the son et lumieres continuing until around 22:00.
http://citysalute.stage.ln-trust.com/event_info/index.aspx

OB, Personal assistant to JD :D
They must have just added that! It wasn't there earlier today! Anyhow, cheers assistant.

Henry_Tombs said:
AT55 said:
oldbaldy said:
Hang on.
Will people think I'm Ian Hislop. We are both bald & both have an interest in WW1. :?
Were you at Eton too?
I think Hislop went to Ardingly.
Boris must have been joking when he told me that. I think all he was trying to do was to claim Hislop minor was at Slough Comprehensive with him. The man is a fool but harmless as long as he never runs anything more complicated than a whelk stall. Btw, has anyone heard the results of the elections?

Latest Threads