Private Eye article - No government help for SSAFA!

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by g2_loony_bin, May 1, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Taken from Private Eye No. 1209 2 May - 15 May 2008:

2. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

Sadly for PE it's a bit half-informed. That's a shame because I usually admire them as a news source that's reliable.

I believe this is part of an ongoing SSAFA campaign to raise funds to keep the two houses going, and there was a post about it on Tuesday-ish. I'll try to find it, but I'm a bit useless at searching arrse.

Recently I attended an event where a military doctor from Selly Oak explained about the man lying in a dirty bed thus:

Some of these patients are in a lot of pain, and are managing their pain relief themselves. To have your bed changed when you soil yourself is a very painful experience. The patient at the centre of the storm had asked nursing staff not to change his bed every time this happened, because it was a lesser evil than the pain of being moved when the bed is changed. The person making the complaint didn't raise it when he was on the ward, but chose to raise it with the press afterwards. Had he mentioned it at the time, this would have been explained.

All this seems plausible to me.

But I still think that the Government should be funding the houses that SSAFA are running, not charitable donations.

3. Does any reader of this site seriously expect the repellent Brown, or the equally repugnant Browne, to give a single toss about such matters?

4. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

I'm a god!
    Quoted in Private Eye.
    No woosey Telegraph or Times for me :D
    http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=89128/start=0.html

5. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

Thanks, o lord.

We are not worthy, and all that stuff.

6. As do I, they are not infallible, but they do provide some cracking commentary on the state of things.

I couldn't really post half the article, that would be unfair, the main reason for my posting of it was the SSAFA situation (my second bold) and not the treatment of soldiers within the hospital which has been excellent at times, you cannot discount that.

7. oldbaldy

1. Battlefield Tours

Hang on.
    Will people think I'm Ian Hislop. We are both bald & both have an interest in WW1. :?

8. Hmmm....

Square Basher is amongst us....

Shhhh....

9. Square Basher is not the only Private Eye (See what I did there) who is a member of Arrse ;)

Yes the article is slightly misleading and emotive to my mind, but then again, it does bring the matter to the fore.

Will the Private Eye Arrse reps be attending City Salute?

10. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

But unlike you he is not old enough to have served then!

= Time to get the beers in!!

On a more serious note, whilst not entirely accurate, the article does hammer home the most important point of why are the goberment not funding this!

11. oldbaldy

1. Battlefield Tours

And he's a short arrse.
    OB, Right Flank, 1SG :)

12. Were you at Eton too?

13. Trust me on this, Old Baldy is much bigger than that dwarf Hislop and with regards to the City Salute is there a start time yet? Every time I look on the web it doesn't give one.

OB, do Central Office know you are leaking info to Private Eye?!!!

14. oldbaldy

1. Battlefield Tours

http://citysalute.stage.ln-trust.com/event_info/index.aspx

OB, Personal assistant to JD :D

15. They must have just added that! It wasn't there earlier today! Anyhow, cheers assistant.