Private Chest Xray

HQ have asked me to have a CXR to be cleared for immigration to go to America on my elective. It just cost me £83.50 as It had to be done privately .As apparently this reason for having a CXR is not covered by NHS.

Can I claim for this to be re-imbursed since the Army asked me to get this done?

thanks

chocolate_frog said:
Couldn't your medcen have arranged this?
Unfortunately not, since I am not under a medcentre at the moment and come under a NHS civilian GP. This is because im a final year medical student with a full medical cadetship.
Perhaps HQ should have arranged for me to go to a medcen, but I had no choice in the matter.

medic-matt said:
HQ have asked me to have a CXR to be cleared for immigration to go to America on my elective. It just cost me £83.50 as It had to be done privately .As apparently this reason for having a CXR is not covered by NHS.
Can I claim for this to be re-imbursed since the Army asked me to get this done?

thanks
that sounds like ballocks to me, I have done these in the past, where did you go?

edited to add if anyone else needs one I'll do it for £60 :D

Techtechtech said:
medic-matt said:

thanks
that sounds like ballocks to me, I have done these in the past, where did you go?

edited to add if anyone else needs one I'll do it for £60 :D
I went to my civilian GP in Manchester to arrange a referal and I was sent to the BMI Alexandra Hospital in Cheadle, Manchester. If this should have definately been done on the NHS, let me know and I'll wipe the floor with them! :x

Thanks

Immigration CXR's are not done on the NHS. They are classed as Category 2 Private x-rays and are £60 upwards.

actually no, I presumed that you had access to the military system. we don't charge soldiers but we do charge civvies. £83 is a little steep though, ours is about £68.

Also, although the Army actually did the asking, I suspect the Canadians were the ones who decreed the CXR was necessary so its not really th'Army's fault :D

Techtechtech said:
actually no, I presumed that you had access to the military system. we don't charge soldiers but we do charge civvies. £83 is a little steep though, ours is about £68.
Ok, thanks anyway. I'm registered with the medcen at RMAS, which is quite a journey from Manchester. Oh well, this time next year I'll be in my MQ and should hopefully avoid things like this.

You could always keep the receipt (in case of audit) and chuck in a claim on JPA anyway. The worst they are going to say is 'rejected'. If it's for Forces reasons and not just for a private jolly, I should hope you can claim it back.

I'll undercut tech x 3, come & see me & we'll work something out ;-)