Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Privacy of living in

gado said:
I'm looking for a bit of advice really. . . . . . .

Having been out in the feild basha'ing up for the past week, doing all that wary, cam cream stuff. We return to barracks, looking foreward to a hot bath and a night in our own beds (with a vodka or two thrown in). Only to find that since we had been away, one of the RQMS'/RSM'S had aquired a master key for our rooms & had had a really good rumage through all our stuff! Not only the military stuff, but my underware draw had been gone through along with my jewlery box.

Is this allowed?

Yes. but only if your room is searched by men.

The main problem i have is there is no proof. I know stuff has been moved about and rumaged through, but I have already spoken with the Adj and I can't prove anything!

That means that nothing happened & it's all in my mind! I can't make an official complaint to the RMP's so I don't have a leg to stand on!

There is no drugs issue. That wasn't what they were looking for. Maybe I could understand it if it was.

I am sliighlty confused. You said that

one of the RQMS'/RSM'S had aquired a master key for our rooms & had had a really good rumage through all our stuff!

Sp presumably you know that to be so? If you know that to be so you must have some evidence?

Take it to the RMP, you don't need anyones permission to do that.

Or, you just suspect it to be so and have no evidence?

Your adjutant cannot tell you what you can or cannot report to the Military Police. However, it is difficult to see what the RMP can do if you have no evidence that anything happened. They aren't going to shake down everyone on camp on the notion that some person or persons may or may not have rummaged through your smalls.

You say that it was not just you this was done to, so your Adjutant can hardly argue you are all imagining it.

I'd say go to talk to the Adjutant again, tell him you are not happy and that if he won't do anything you intend to report it to the RMP. You can always point out that if he knows nothing about someone having access to your room you have fears for your safety. And do report it to RMP if he won't or can't help. Just don't expect much from them if you can't give them much.

Walk over to the monkeys and tell them that 100 quid has been stolen from your locker. Bet your bottom dollar that no f*cker will go into your room after that little baby.

gado said:
Is this allowed?

Your CO has the power to conduct a search of your room under certain circumstances without a warrant - but these powers can only be used when 'the CO is unable, or it is impracticable, to obtain the assistance of a Service Policeman or a Constable of a UK Police Force.'

The powers of a CO are explained in 'Commanding Officer's Code of Practice - Search Powers' which should be available in your unit RAO; for simplicity I have included a link:

http://www.army.mod.uk/linked_files...iles/Commanding Officers Code of Practice.doc

Even if there was no access to a policeman you should reasonably be expected to have been warned that it would happen and receive a written search record. That is notwithstanding the burden to prove reasonable grounds for suspicion (which should be decided pre-search not post-search).

I am not an advocate of being a trades-unionist but you can put an end to this sort of thing going on by making a reasonable complaint to your CO. NB - Be sure that you know who did it before you name names.

It is not right and I am sorry that this has happened to you.

One of those motion activated web cam recording thingys for computers would probably render some useful footage. Nothing quite like footage of the badge sniffing your gussett or examining your jack hammer collection to keep you off cr@p jobs forever.

primroseandblue said:
One of those motion activated web cam recording thingys for computers would probably render some useful footage. Nothing quite like footage of the badge sniffing your gussett or examining your jack hammer collection to keep you off cr@p jobs forever.

You talk from experience?

The main problem i have is there is no proof. I know stuff has been moved about and rumaged through, but I have already spoken with the Adj and I can't prove anything!

That means that nothing happened & it's all in my mind! I can't make an official complaint to the RMP's so I don't have a leg to stand on!

There is no drugs issue. That wasn't what they were looking for. Maybe I could understand it if it was.

If you feel that someone has been in your room you should report it to the proper authorities. Chain of command and if no joy go to RMP.

You may find someone else has had same thing and not reported it. May not be anyone 'in authority' but some tea leaf or underwear fiddler who has access.

Get it on record and then if it happens again, report again but state that some cash or similar has gone missing. Should focus the mind.

Set a trap.............a big f*cking bear trap. You'll soon find out who's been in your knicker drawer.