Priti Vacant?

I'm guessing that Miss Patel does not agree with much that is going on in Cabinet. I doubt that she is alone in this.
The fact that she has decided to conduct an independent campaign speaks volumes about the condition of the Prime Minister and the Government. It is a most unedifying situation.
I agree with that.
Westminster always resembles a bear pit and isn’t for the faint hearted, but the current feeding frenzy is ridiculous and smacks of a Government in turmoil.
At a time the country needs strong and stable Government (quite catchy that, but strangely familiar :smile:) we seem to be suffering from own goal after own goal, to the obvious delight of the Opposition (who are in no position to adopt the moral high ground) and the good old BBC.
What on earth is going on?! Theresa needs to come out of her bunker and bang a few heads together, but she is unable to do so because of her own fragile situation.
What a farce. I truly despair at the sheer ineptitude of many of our Political class. Pygmies doesn’t come close.

Last edited:
I'm guessing that Miss Patel does not agree with much that is going on in Cabinet. I doubt that she is alone in this.
The fact that she has decided to conduct an independent campaign speaks volumes about the condition of the Prime Minister and the Government. It is a most unedifying situation.
Actually, all it reveals is her gargantuan ego and gravity defying (until the plane gets into Heathrow...) arrogance. If she thinks she knows all the ins and outs, and that she can do a better job than TM she is entirely at liberty to launch a leadership election.

Until she becomes PM however she doesn't have the right to set Defence and Overseas Policy, and if she can't work within the parameters set by the PM then she can, of course, resign...

I'd also suggest that anyone so utterly moronic as to think that a) such policy freelancing was a good idea given the complexities of UK interests in the region, and that b) she wouldn't get caught in fairly short order, disqualifies themselves from the demanding role of picking the discarded fag butts out of the DFID bogs, let alone from being a potential PM...

WTF was Patel thinking?

Can't be too long before May is forced to pull the plug on this shambles of a government.
Indulge me in some tin foil hattery for a moment.

Is there any mileage in BoJo knowing he'd screwed up mightily with the journalism Iran thing so he leaked the PP thing to see her screwed as the cuckoo in his nest at the GO (assuming PP was at least neutral to PMTM) and take the heat off him?

And now he's gone for broke and leaked the PMTM knew what PP was up to in Israel thing?

Dunno. I don't see clearly who benefits but this does have the sticky mitts of a leadership powerplay to it.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
A rather large assumption. Looks more like a minister with delusions of grandeur getting too big for her boots.

We'll soon find out about the condition of the PM - if she's got even the vestige of a backbone, it'll be 'Minister overboard'

If Patel had any sense, she'd resign in order to avoid being fired. A fulsome apology from her would take a lot of the heat of out the situation.

But something tells me she'll have to be fired. The days when minister resigned as matter of principle have long gone.

Wordsmith

A rather large assumption. Looks more like a minister with delusions of grandeur getting too big for her boots.

We'll soon find out about the condition of the PM - if she's got even the vestige of a backbone, it'll be 'Minister overboard'

If Patel had any sense, she'd resign in order to avoid being fired. A fulsome apology from her would take a lot of the heat of out the situation.

But something tells me she'll have to be fired. The days when minister resigned as matter of principle have long gone.

Wordsmith
And then spend a lifetime with charity work (Profumo).

Wordsmith
Quite - 1982 was probably the last time.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
On R4, 1pm news prog:

Ms Patel claims to have better Mid. Eastern and African contacts than the FCO; she worked in PR before election as an MP.
Yeah right. PR person from PR firm has better contacts than the FCO. There's a strong whiff of bovine manure.

She's obviously trying to cling onto her job.

And about to be turned into "yesterday's minister" by PMTM.

Wordsmith

For some reason -

She knows she's in trouble - first the JC tale that the meetings were known about (bad move - saying the PM is a liar is not a job saving technique with any success), now the Telegraph quoting friends who say that she could cause a lot of trouble on the backbenches...

I have a sense that Ms Patel was planning to launch her leadership campaign based upon her competence as a minister, but now...

Was Heseltine fired? Or did he jump?
Stormed out of a cabinet meeting and for maximum effect, issued his resignation to the press as he headed out of Downing Street (one account had it that No.10 in effect saw his leaving the cabinet room as a toys out of pram moment, rather than his formal resignation, so they carried on unaware that a new SofS was required at Defence)

Yeah right. PR person from PR firm has better contacts than the FCO. There's a strong whiff of bovine manure....
she's prettier than Trump, and she's more articulate than Trump, but theres more than a whiff of the same outspoken delusion of brilliance from PP.

good riddance, she's spectacularly shot herself in the foot.

Let's face it, she's not even popular with her own party so populism is a long way away.
I honestly can't think of a Conservative Party leader that has been popular with their Party faithful, at least not since MARGARET THATCHER

Just thought I'd put that name in capitals so you have to wash your eyes out with bleach :)

Last popular Conservative Party leader is giving you a ticking off for being a Corbyn fan
download.jpg
:

Maggie's in the mud. Give a shite.

But you're right. She's the last genuinely popular leader, within the true definition of popular. Even Blair, in my eyes, was being tolerated by large swathes of his voters.

My knowledge of parliamentary procedure is not what it should be, but for all of this talk of General Elections I thought the Tories could depose her and have a PM elect without one?

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
My knowledge of parliamentary procedure is not what it should be, but for all of this talk of General Elections I thought the Tories could depose her and have a PM elect without one?
The prime minister is any MP (or Lord) that can command a majority in the H of C and be authorised by the queen to form a government.

It's happened before. Apart from PMTM, Brown inherited the reins of power from Blair without going to the country.

About the only benefit of PMTM's bungled GE is that if the Tories change leaders, it'll only be once in this parliament. I don't think there's a precedent for changing leaders twice in a parliamentary session. Which is what would have happened without the GE.

Call Me Dave --> PMTM --> O.N.Other.

The opposition would have made hay about riding roughshod over democracy.

Wordsmith

Latest Threads