Priti Patel the new Home Sec wants to hang crims, lots of them.

Its going to take years for the skills and experience that have been lost to be regained along with the numbers. Infrastructure and fleet also needs investing in, more custody spaces, nicks that are falling apart etc
And as you say it needs to be matched with additional funding and staffing in the CPS, courts, prisons and probation if it’s going to have an impact on crime levels.
Be nice if Dick or someone of her level has the moral courage to explain that improvements will take years not months.
Definitely. All of that.

And so it begins:

Swamp draining continuing, Sir Philip Rutnam (yeah I had to look him up as well) perm sec to the Home Office has resigned saying he was constructively dismissed. Pritti and Bojo will be happy he's gone and some of the other serpents will be looking to their laurels.

"One of my duties as Permanent Secretary was to protect the health, safety and well-being of our 35,000 people. This created tension with the Home Secretary, and I have encouraged her to change her behaviours." Perhaps it's not her behaviour that needed to change old boy.

Swamp draining continuing, Sir Philip Rutnam (yeah I had to look him up as well) perm sec to the Home Office has resigned saying he was constructively dismissed. Pritti and Bojo will be happy he's gone and some of the other serpents will be looking to their laurels.

"One of my duties as Permanent Secretary was to protect the health, safety and well-being of our 35,000 people. This created tension with the Home Secretary, and I have encouraged her to change her behaviours." Perhaps it's not her behaviour that needed to change old boy.

Sounds a bit 'precious' to me, perhaps he should analyse what the words Civil Servant actually mean ?

Sounds a bit 'precious' to me, perhaps he should analyse what the words Civil Servant actually mean ?
Indeed: though it's hard to judge with any fair analysis a 2-dimensional 'flat' report, I'm left with the impression that the good ex-PS is a bit upon himself, having realised that he, too, has a Boss :cool:

Indeed: though it's hard to judge with any fair analysis a 2-dimensional 'flat' report, I'm left with the impression that the good ex-PS is a bit upon himself, having realised that he, too, has a Boss :cool:
He could have taken the payoff but hasn't.

One should remember that politicians come and go, the civil service is forever. The government wants them to actually take action and they've resisted:

"Bernard, I have served eleven governments in the past thirty years. If I had believed in all their policies, I would have been passionately committed to keeping out of the Common Market, and passionately committed to going into it. I would have been utterly convinced of the rightness of nationalising steel. And of denationalising it and renationalising it. On capital punishment, I'd have been a fervent retentionist and an ardent abolitionist. I would've been a Keynesian and a Friedmanite, a grammar school preserver and destroyer, a nationalisation freak and a privatisation maniac; but above all, I would have been a stark, staring, raving schizophrenic."

" . . a 2-dimensional 'flat' report . . . ". It has been "chuntering" away, for over a week !! ;) .

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Have you not listened?

ETA:

I know that resigning in this way will have very serious implications for me personally. The Cabinet Office offered me a financial settlement that would have avoided this outcome.

Sir Philip Rutnam's resignation statement in full
This is magnificent. He claims to have had nothing to do with the obviously coordinated briefing campaign against the Home Secretary, all of which was in his favour, then decides to repeat the attack lines in his public resignation statement. What a great way to make it clear that you had nothing whatsoever to do with it...

This is magnificent. He claims to have had nothing to do with the obviously coordinated briefing campaign against the Home Secretary, all of which was in his favour, then decides to repeat the attack lines in his public resignation statement. What a great way to make it clear that you had nothing whatsoever to do with it...
He's making a public statement and willing to test his claims in court.

'Vicious and coordinated', eh?

The poor man.
"I have been accused of orchestrating a briefing campaign against the Home Secretary. That is not true. I will now repeat all of the accusations made in the briefing campaign against the Home Secretary."

He's making a public statement and willing to test his claims in court.
I assume he means an employment tribunal as opposed to a court. It'll be very interesting to see this go to tribunal and what evidence each side produces.

I’m no friend of the Civil Service but Patel sounds like a nasty piece of work and the very worst kind of bullying ‘leader’.

She needs to remember that she’s a servant too.

I assume he means an employment tribunal as opposed to a court. It'll be very interesting to see this go to tribunal and what evidence each side produces.
A tribunal yes, it'll still be tested under points of law.

There were clearly two briefing campaigns, it depends how close he was to the one coming from the CS side.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
His problem is to directly link Priti Patel to the attacks on him, without being linked to the attacks on Priti Patel. That may be a rather difficult balancing act.

Several other senior CS have been moved aside or resigned. What the CS is now finding out is that the government ultimately hires and fires. And that trying to obstruct a government run by a conviction politician with a clear agenda to deliver is ultimately not a good career move.

I think one or two more high profile heads will be lopped off. At that point, resistance to government initiatives will be more muted and covert - it will not cease altogether. It will also not have escaped the more ambitions CS just below the top level that (a) this government still has 5 years to run and (b) the best way to achieve promotion in that time is to actively help deliver government policy.

And all this before Cummings has started the ball rolling on serious reform of the CS. Sir Humphrey will be spinning in his fictional grave.

Wordsmith

PP is the one who will come off badly from this, he has pretty much finished his career. She will now have to listen to numerous accounts of bullying from people who consider her behaviour unacceptable. If you look back, accounts of her behaviour stretch back to about 2015.

This won’t be pretty for her. Nobody really cares whether an unknown CS was not up to the job, they do care about the great and good behaving like ALLEGED tyrants.

Standby for the MSM drip feeding lurid allegations of her behaviour.

Latest Threads