Priti Patel the new Home Sec wants to hang crims, lots of them.

If PP goes, so must one or more of the CS heads. There is no other way of loosing PP and keeping everyone else. To do so would show they have whip hand, and not you.

From the Julia Hartley-Brewer show. Former SPAD for Patel points out that a previous Home Secretary (Amber Rudd) had to resign after "lying" to the House over Windrush. She "lied" by quoting figures provided by the Home Office that the Civil Service knew to be false, although Rudd didn't. Heads should have rolled for that but didn't, so it looks like the Civil Service think that they can get rid of any elected official that they don't like.

I once shared an office with 2 people who regularly complained that the (and therefore my) boss bullied them.
The actual complaint was that he required tem to do the work that was in their contract.
They generally did very little and eventually won because the boss left for another job.
I hope Priti Patel wins.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Genuine question: are the senior CS actually sackable?

I was under the impression that it was the CS' ability to outlive and see off ministers that gave them the death grip on the ministries.
If they carry on like this, sniping against any minister that annoys them, I see reform or privatisation of the CS on the cards.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
If they carry on like this, sniping against any minister that annoys them, I see reform or privatisation of the CS on the cards.
Which is something like Cumming's intention. He doesn't think the CS is fit for purpose in its current form. Hence the plethora of leaks coming out about 'incompetent' ministers. That's senior CS desperately trying to stop the axe falling on them.

Wordsmith

I once shared an office with 2 people who regularly complained that the (and therefore my) boss bullied them.
The actual complaint was that he required tem to do the work that was in their contract.
They generally did very little and eventually won because the boss left for another job.
I hope Priti Patel wins.
Not uncommon in local government.

Theresa Villiers claimed this morning on R4 that the briefing against her was down to misogyny. Sad if that is the true reason.

From the Julia Hartley-Brewer show. Former SPAD for Patel points out that a previous Home Secretary (Amber Rudd) had to resign after "lying" to the House over Windrush. She "lied" by quoting figures provided by the Home Office that the Civil Service knew to be false, although Rudd didn't. Heads should have rolled for that but didn't, so it looks like the Civil Service think that they can get rid of any elected official that they don't like.

I havent watched your Youtube link, but what you quote sounds like a neat piece of disinformation. Reporting at the time was that Amber Rudd resigned over a perceived mismatch between her denial to the house that there were targets for deportation, and what she had said about her robust deportation plans in a private letter to the then PM a few months earlier.

Sad, maybe, but entirely believable.
I have worked with 3 female managers and one female director.
All were head and shoulders above their male counterparts because they had to be. Brilliant to work with.
I have also suffered under one female manager who was appointed because of the size of her chest.
Utterly useless, prejudiced in favour of her female workers and took almost a years sick leave three months after starting before they got rid of her.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
I have worked with 3 female managers and one female director.
All were head and shoulders above their male counterparts because they had to be. Brilliant to work with.
I have also suffered under one female manager who was appointed because of the size of her chest.
Utterly useless, prejudiced in favour of her female workers and took almost a years sick leave three months after starting before they got rid of her.
Ditto. The worst manager I worked for in 40 years was female. Known as Hitler with PMT. Utterly horrible, spiteful, bullying, vindictive and famous for trampling on colleagues as she mounted the greasy pole using their labours.

No tears were shed when she lost her job when the company changed direction.

But my best two managers were also female, supportive, fair, clear-sighted, knowledgeable, clever in technical and political skills.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
This is a debating forum, not The CJS. A reputable publication has reported a matter, definitely of public interest.

If you don’t want to discuss it feel free not to.
It may be reputable, but it's not beyond pursuing an agenda.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Latest from the Telegraph.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/02/24/boris-johnson-brexit-news-latest-priti-patel-us-trade-mi5/
Boris Johnson has confirmed he has "full confidence" in Priti Patel, as colleagues lined up to defend the Home Secretary over hostile briefings. The Prime Minister's official spokesman said:"The Prime Minister has full confidence in the Home Secretary and the vital work that she is doing to make our streets safer and to take back control of the UK's borders."
Seems the leakee has p*ssed off both Patel and BoJo.

Might not be the smartest of career moves as it'll just increase the determination of BoJo to lop off a few heads.

As Cummings now has SpAd's in different departments giving him backdoor feedback, the right suspects might well find themselves in the cross-hairs.

Wordsmith

Latest from the Telegraph.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/02/24/boris-johnson-brexit-news-latest-priti-patel-us-trade-mi5/

Seems the leakee has p*ssed off both Patel and BoJo.

Might not be the smartest of career moves as it'll just increase the determination of BoJo to lop off a few heads.

As Cummings now has SpAd's in different departments giving him backdoor feedback, the right suspects might well find themselves in the cross-hairs.

Wordsmith
BoJo has to, to encourage the others. It's gone public domain in a big way that can't solved with a quiet chat in private - which could have been done if the papers hadn't got hold of it. A sacrificial lamb might do, but it will have to display that being the mandarins favourite is no protection. A previous chancellor read that in his tea leaves as defining the limits and direction of loyalties.

BoJo has to, to encourage the others. It's gone public domain in a big way that can't solved with a quiet chat in private - which could have been done if the papers hadn't got hold of it. A sacrificial lamb might do, but it will have to display that being the mandarins favourite is no protection. A previous chancellor read that in his tea leaves as defining the limits and direction of loyalties.
I don't get the impression BoJo does quiet chats.
You are good enough not to need them or you go.
It would explain why so many also rans hate him.

Yup, already one SPAD down just before xmas, unceremoniously hoofed out of number 10 (oh, by a policeman with a gun shock horror clickbait) pour encourager les autres. Some high up snivelling serpents will be thinking about the alphabet spaghetti and rather generous pension they get on 'retirement'.

Latest Threads