Priti Patel the new Home Sec wants to hang crims, lots of them.

It must be true, because the BBC are endlessly repeating both stories.
It’s a pity the BBC didn’t expend so much time and resources investigating allegations of bullying against Bercow. I get the impression certain elements of our National Broadcaster are relishing the current situation a bit too much!

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Just what I said this morning. She has said publicly something (probably immigration related or crime related) that has upset a senior Civil Servant or two. They are now briefing against her- she's a bully, a gossip, kicks puppies, so as to get her replaced by someone more 'on message'.

Hopefully the Civil Servants will soon be taught that they work for us, not Mark f@cking Serwotka!!!
The briefings are because PP is seeking to have several top CS in her department moved on the grounds that they are actively trying to obstruct the changes she wants to make. Hence the anonymous briefings. She's also demanded an inquiry into the leaks against here - which the cabinet office CS have just refused. Given BoJo's large majority and his desire to force change through, head's will roll shortly and they won't be Preti Patels.

In addition, some of the leaks are bollox - and the intelligence services have publicly said so.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politic...office-civil-war-officials-deny-false-claims/
[The security service has been dragged into the internal war between Priti Patel and her top civil servant as officials issued an unprecedented denial that the agency “did not trust her” with intelligence.
What you are seeing is the tip the an iceberg of the war between government and CS on delivering Brexit. As the government ultimately hires and fires, that's not gong to end we for certain senior mandarins.

Wordsmith

I just have the impression she’s a ‘Make it so’ type. ‘Here’s the task, now get on and do it and come back to tell me it’s done.’
Then, a couple of days/weeks later, ‘FFS. You’ve spent the past days/weeks doing nothing but tell me, at great length, why it shouldn’t be done. That’s all time wasted. Now FO out of here and don’t come back until you’ve done what I asked!’

I just have the impression she’s a ‘Make it so’ type. ‘Here’s the task, now get on and do it and come back to tell me it’s done.’
Then, a couple of days/weeks later, ‘FFS. You’ve spent the past days/weeks doing nothing but tell me, at great length, why it shouldn’t be done. That’s all time wasted. Now FO out of here and don’t come back until you’ve done what I asked!’
This.

It is also worth bearing in mind that these will be the same people that ran rings around May during her tenure at the HO, and presided over some of the poorest legislation since Blair.

Robme

On ROPS
On ROPs
As has often been said, there is no smoke without fire!
She has IMHO the look of a bully and one who has taken up the reigns of a megalomaniac from her lord and master Boris. She’s also a titch, and never did meet one of them without a massive chip on their shoulders.
Whatever, after the calamity which was the last reshuffle I think she is realitvly safe, given the population like the proposed immigration proposals, and the last thing Boris needs is to sack another high office of state.

In other words what any good boss does. Delegate a task. Set a deadline. Expect to see the results by said deadline.
Results that if they aren't implimented will cost her her job, either as the Minister responsible by the PM, or a Conservative MP at the next GE by the electorate.

As has often been said, there is no smoke without fire!
She has IMHO the look of a bully and one who has taken up the reigns of a megalomaniac from her lord and master Boris. She’s also a titch, and never did meet one of them without a massive chip on their shoulders.
Whatever, after the calamity which was the last reshuffle I think she is realitvly safe, given the population like the proposed immigration proposals, and the last thing Boris needs is to sack another high office of state.
Why, who did he sack?

In other words what any good boss does. Delegate a task. Set a deadline. Expect to see the results by said deadline.
Results that if they aren't implimented will cost her her job, either as the Minister responsible by the PM, or a Conservative MP at the next GE by the electorate.
Exactly.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Yes, however, the only people who would know about withholding info would be those in charge of it.
This is how you manipulate superiors - by giving them what you want them to have.
Empires are made by controlling the flow of information. To be the one who knows best, make sure everyone knows less than you do.
Macchiavelli Walt!

The briefings are because PP is seeking to have several top CS in her department moved on the grounds that they are actively trying to obstruct the changes she wants to make. Hence the anonymous briefings. She's also demanded an inquiry into the leaks against here - which the cabinet office CS have just refused. Given BoJo's large majority and his desire to force change through, head's will roll shortly and they won't be Preti Patels.

In addition, some of the leaks are bollox - and the intelligence services have publicly said so.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politic...office-civil-war-officials-deny-false-claims/

What you are seeing is the tip the an iceberg of the war between government and CS on delivering Brexit. As the government ultimately hires and fires, that's not gong to end we for certain senior mandarins.

Wordsmith
If the sails were whiter than white, you'd expect an investigation into the alleged leaks to be agreed to in the smug knowledge that "ooh look, little miss paranoia" would be the outcome.
Otherwise, one wonders.

Robme

On ROPS
On ROPs
Be very afraid but so is Jeremy Corbyn.
I wonder if they tell him everything?
Magic Grandpa?
They tell him nothing, unless they are trying to make contact with the nations enemies?

4(T)

LE
. As the government ultimately hires and fires, that's not gong to end we for certain senior mandarins.

Wordsmith

Genuine question: are the senior CS actually sackable?

I was under the impression that it was the CS' ability to outlive and see off ministers that gave them the death grip on the ministries.

Robme

On ROPS
On ROPs
I have possibly heard that there may be allegations that you have possibly been suspected of kiddie fiddling by unidentified persons.
The above statement has as much validation as the Times piece.
Even kiddy fiddling seems to have certain protections. Janner MP who died before he could be brought to book, his son a QC, is squeezing like a good in and trying every trick in the book to stymie any investigation into the MP’s hobbies. Even though he would appear ‘to have caught with his hands in the till’ and the inquiry is looking at the whole mucky fish, son has spent a shed load on undermining any attempt to investigate pa’s role in the whole.

Robme

On ROPS
On ROPs
Come on, tell us who Boris sacked.
Numerous MP/Ministers in his last reshuffle, and the Chancellor was effectively sacked by the shenanigans of Boris and his masters dog.
Dont you read newspapers? The BBC will also fill you in with the minusi

Genuine question: are the senior CS actually sackable?

I was under the impression that it was the CS' ability to outlive and see off ministers that gave them the death grip on the ministries.
They can be moved sideways, generally tends to slow down their KG, KT, GCB, GCMG, DSO, GCVO, GBE etc. Other letters of the alphabet are available.

Just what I said this morning. She has said publicly something (probably immigration related or crime related) that has upset a senior Civil Servant or two. They are now briefing against her- she's a bully, a gossip, kicks puppies, so as to get her replaced by someone more 'on message'.

Hopefully the Civil Servants will soon be taught that they work for us, not Mark f@cking Serwotka!!!
From the Julia Hartley-Brewer show. Former SPAD for Patel points out that a previous Home Secretary (Amber Rudd) had to resign after "lying" to the House over Windrush. She "lied" by quoting figures provided by the Home Office that the Civil Service knew to be false, although Rudd didn't. Heads should have rolled for that but didn't, so it looks like the Civil Service think that they can get rid of any elected official that they don't like.

Latest Threads