Priti Patel the new Home Sec wants to hang crims, lots of them.

Unless it's changed since my last voyage, traffic in the Channel is directed into northbound and southbound lanes simply to avoid multiple collisions. Irrespective of SOLAS, which is covered by North Sea coastal nations' various lifeboats and SAR choppers, any ship's master swerving across lanes to answer a distress call is begging to risk his ship and all aboard. It would come as no surprise to discover that ship owners and insurers advise masters to turn a Nelsonian eye to migrant boats.

Last edited:

endure

GCM
Not selective editing at all. Just a statement of the law as it stands.

Just in case anyone didn't catch it the previous times I've posted it.

"The master of a ship at sea which is in a position to be able to provide assistance on receiving information from any source that persons are in distress at sea, is bound to proceed with all speed to their assistance, if possible informing them or the search and rescue service that the ship is doing so.

This obligation to provide assistance applies regardless of the nationality or status of such persons or the circumstances in which they are found.

If the ship receiving the distress alert is unable or, in the special circumstances of the case, considers it unreasonable or unnecessary to proceed to their assistance, the master must enter in the log-book the reason for failing to proceed to the assistance of the persons in distress, taking into account the recommendation of the Organization, to inform the appropriate search and rescue service accordingly."
It might be old, it might be dumb, you might disagree but it's still the law...

endure

GCM
And we're off again.

You're Google 'knowledge' of SOLAS is up there with the anti-vaxxers and Cv19.
My knowledge of SOLAS comes from 10 years at sea as a Radio Officer in the merchant navy. That's after spending 3 years at college learning electronics and SOLAS. The pass mark for the SOLAS exam was 100%.

The cutter's crew under oath. I know it might be difficult for some on here to grasp but professional mariners aren't in the habit of breaking the law to satisfy a Home Secretary who seems to no clue about maritime law or much else for that matter.

Just out of interest who prosecutes those that break any maritime laws?

How many migrant dinghies have declared a distress to a merchant ship in the Channel in the last year?
You now telling us the migrants phone individual ships directly :) !!

I thought they broadcast on open radio channels, that every ship has to monitor . . . until the migrants are able to use their mobiles to call the UK Coastguard.

How many migrant dinghies have declared a distress to a merchant ship in the Channel in the last year?
None as they don’t have radios and they have only one number to dial on the mobile the smugglers gave them, 999 and ask for the coastguard.
Apparently it’s SOP for them to stop their engine when a BF cutter or Lifeboat comes in range as it makes them look like they are in distress.

None as they don’t have radios and they have only one number to dial on the mobile the smugglers gave them, 999 and ask for the coastguard.
Apparently it’s SOP for them to stop their engine when a BF cutter or Lifeboat comes in range as it makes them look like they are in distress.
Eh! Don't confuse @endure with the facts . . . he doesn't know how to respond ;) .

clanky

War Hero
Leaving aside the rights and wrongs of the Border Forces interpretation of the laws of the sea, and wether they swear an oath or not, one has to wonder what motivates them to act in a way so contrary to political and public opinion?

endure

GCM
Leaving aside the rights and wrongs of the Border Forces interpretation of the laws of the sea, and wether they swear an oath or not, one has to wonder what motivates them to act in a way so contrary to political and public opinion?
The law...

Response copied over from "Migration" thread . . .

BBC "PM" prog saying French waters, and that "at least 27" . . . now "with the fishies".

. . . so, not UK or RNLI responsibility, although our RNLI not wasting the opportunity, to "wade-in" and operate in French waters.

Reported that at least twenty other inflatables DID make the the transit across the Channel, and still setting course, even in the dark.

I do hope that all the mealy-mouthed, risk-averse, "professionals" - who constantly berate those of us who advocate robust policies to prevent and deter illegal economic migrants - will now accept THEIR responsibilities for failing to consider anything to deter the migrants launching the inflatables. These deaths are on YOU !!

It didn't take "push-back" to result in deaths. Babies weren't chucked overboard. It didn't take any other robust actions to result in drownings. The daft buggers, are quite capable of achieving that on their own.
This is why i say everyone crossing like that be it the channel or med is immidiatly returned to where they set out from / place of origin / refuge /migrant processing centre where they set out from.

Make it clear arriving thus doesnt get you in - reduces if not stops incidents like this but also cuts the knees off people traffickers as theres less incentive to pay them to smuggle you if you know theres a high chance you will be returned.

Double bonus is the fewer voluntary trafficked individuals - the harder it is to insert unwilling victims into the mix

This is why i say everyone crossing like that be it the channel or med is immidiatly returned to where they set out from / place of origin / refuge /migrant processing centre where they set out from.

Make it clear arriving thus doesnt get you in - reduces if not stops incidents like this but also cuts the knees off people traffickers as theres less incentive to pay them to smuggle you if you know theres a high chance you will be returned.

Double bonus is the fewer voluntary trafficked individuals - the harder it is to insert unwilling victims into the mix
Nice idea, but how does that work when the place of entry won't let you enter their territorial waters/airspace?

Do you feel better celebrating their deaths?
Not if they're brown, according to some on this thread

Oh! you really are squirming now !!

If must be difficult for you having your complacency . . . and, absolute rejection of any and all pragmatic suggestions . . . to be now identified as the major factor in not deterring Channel crossings .

It really is a perverse interpretation of any of my posts, to accuse them of "celebrating" the drownings. You missed the bit that said you and all your "risk-averse", fellow-travellers, are directly responsible for NOT deterring the crossings. Do try and accept that . . . without deflecting blame, by making inappropriate accusations against others.

They have brown skins ?! I hadn't noticed. You clearly think they have. It is the religion and associated beliefs, associated with the areas from which they originate, that concerns most folk, as being incompatible with traditional British values, beliefs, practices, and way of life.

Last edited:

Latest Threads