Priti Patel the new Home Sec wants to hang crims, lots of them.

WW1 put an end to Christianity as the major force of control in this country. Those who had served and also the bereaved left the churches and chapels in droves after the war. The decline has never faltered since.
It also led to a boom in spiritualism and other odd beliefs as people attempted to communicate with dead relatives and generally make sense of the carnage.

Ursus Major

Old-Salt
Yah, I'll have to disagree with that one...

gay-pride-2010-13-robert-ullmann.jpg
Neither a hat, nor a man…

What a surprise. Form another square around The Pritster.

It also led to a boom in spiritualism and other odd beliefs as people attempted to communicate with dead relatives and generally make sense of the carnage.

And a return to the old ways, the number of pagans I've met on Anglesey you'd think the Romans had never slaughtered the druids

Dunno . . . you seem to know more about it than me . . . pray tell . . .

Dunno, really. France was a Catholic nation, under a Catholic monarch, and yet they seemed to have no problems in overthrowing the whole shebang.
I could have picked any of the South American nations, all Catholic, who threw off Catholic Spain but didn't quite sever the ties with Rome.
And I find it slightly amusing that no one has pointed out our monarchy are Anglican - the C of E being a broad church, so to speak. Henry was Catholic till the day he died, as was Cranmer. I can't think of any Methodist or Baptist nations that fostered revolution(s). Are there any nations that have non-conformist state religions?
Just poking a little fun, nothing more.

What mainly caused the French Revolution was 'bastard Feudalism' where the nobility rode rough shod over every one else, backed by the church.
The revolution got rid of the RC church.
Until 1801 that is.

Some Catholic missions in Rhodie would harbour and offer succour to terrorists insurgents then squeal blue murder when they got hit by those groups and locals and staff were killed or maimed.

People, eh...?

Good point. Catholic societies tended to be agrarian and stagnant. The reformation unleashed the individualism and questioning attitudes that made the English speaking peoples so dynamic and innovative.

Yes, just look at Renaissance Italy. :rolleyes:

Assistance and hiding from security forces are not quite the same thing.

The magic words are: I repent. Catholics are supposed to protect and succor anyone who offers penitence until repentance is complete or the person leaves. Think of it like claiming sanctuary. If you're clergy, you've no choice, it's part of the vows.
I agree though, it's stupid.

Edit: In the same way, I tell you, there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine respectable people who do not need to repent.

Good news Bible. Think its from the lost sheep parable or the one about the naughty boy returning home after spending all his loot on women, cards and beer.

Last edited:

endure

GCM
The magic words are: I repent. Catholics are supposed to protect and succor anyone who offers penitence until repentance is complete or the person leaves. Think of it like claiming sanctuary. If you're clergy, you've no choice, it's part of the vows.
I agree though, it's stupid.

Edit: In the same way, I tell you, there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine respectable people who do not need to repent.

Good news Bible. Think its from the lost sheep parable or the one about the naughty boy returning home after spending all his loot on women, cards and beer.
Our Filipino sailors were all Catholics. They'd go ashore in Fremantle and visit the local Stella Maris, make confession, have a beer and then go out on the town shagging anything that couldn't run fast enough to get away.

What a surprise. Form another square around The Pritster.

Don’t really care. If the other lot were in they’d be taking instructions from the Unions, if they’d finished the diversity risk assessment about whether to have a vaccine ;)

I did say 'tended to be'.
Renaissance Italy and Spain's Golden Age were (temporary) exceptions to that generalisation.

I think that the Renaissance had more to do with the arts than anything else. Plenty of frescoes and music in glorification of the Madonna and Child. Much to be enjoyed by the rich, the powerful and the influential (including, of course, the Church). Not so much in the way of social reform, education for the masses or industrial advancement for the benefit of Joe Soap.

The benefits, such as they were, were enjoyed almost exclusively by the usual suspects.

I think that the Renaissance had more to do with the arts than anything else. Plenty of frescoes and music in glorification of the Madonna and Child. Much to be enjoyed by the rich, the powerful and the influential (including, of course, the Church). Not so much in the way of social reform, education for the masses or industrial advancement for the benefit of Joe Soap.

The benefits, such as they were, were enjoyed almost exclusively by the usual suspects.
IMHO the key aspect of The Renaissance was the rediscovery of Greek philosophy and thus the beginnings of Humanism. That would lead eventually to social reform, education and eventually industrial advancement - but no for a few hundred years (I don't think they had the interweb or social media back then)

I'm not sure Da Vinci, Copernicus or Galileo would agree with you there.

Latest Threads