Prisoners to get vote

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by exile1, Nov 1, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just seen on sky news that prisoners are to get the vote. It has been decreed by Europe and therefore it becomes law. If we do not obey the Europe then the government [we the taxpayer] would be fined hundreds of millions of pounds. Creeping control by the EU. Parliament will become redundant in the next 10 years IMHO.
  2. Command_doh

Command_doh LE Book Reviewer

That'll be Respect, the BNP and 'old' Labour getting a few more votes then.
  3. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

That depends whether or not the Govt. choose to implement the ruling:

Prisoner voting back on the human rights agenda this week « UK Human Rights Blog

It is likely it will be left to the courts to decide on an individual basis, or dependent on the length of sentence, under 4 years was the mooted I believe.
  4. Thought it said prisoners to get the rope.......shame cos hanging a few of the waste of spaces would get my vote
  5. There are two issues here: the issue of sovereignty and the question of whether we believe that prisoners should have the vote.

On that second issue, if a prisoner is to be released and we want him/her to become a good member of our society then it must be right that we allow him or her to shape that society through participation in the democratic process.
  6. Another example of genuflection to the UNELECTED, UNACCOUNTABLE monster that the 'Traitor' Heath foisted upon us with the greatest lie ever.

When are we going to see the pre General Election promises of RECLAIMING SOVEREIGNTY from Europe being implemented?

If it cannot be done because of the Limp-Dims in the coalition, then call a General Election and ask:

This decision is disgraceful. What about peers? Are they going to seek the right to vote as well? Oh! and lunatics?

Cameron get a grip; you are as simpering a ninny as could ever have been imagined 'leading' the Conservative Party.
  7. If you read the story, this was a decision of the European Court of Human Rights, which is:

1. Not part of the EU
    2. Something we signed up to after WWII not in 1973
    3. Covers Switzerland, Norway, Turkey and plenty of non-EU countries
    4. Works on the basis of a Convention on Human Rights drafted by English lawyers after the second world war
    5. Is not part of the EU at all in any way.

I don't have a problem with the Court of Human Rights, because I think human rights are a good idea, but if you're worried about national democracy it's actually less democratic than the EU, since EU decisions are taken by a Council of Ministers (all elected Prime Ministers, including ours) and a European Parliament (also elected, every five years, by us). The ECHR on the other hand has a group of unelected judges appointed by the different countries which are part of it.
  8. Calm down, calm down. It's nothing to do with the EU. It's the European Court of Human Rights. They are not connected. We are signatories to the European Convention on Human Rights (which was British drafted), which is an international treaty, not an instrument of the European Union.

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

Why must it be right? By putting someone in prison, we're not, by definition, allowing them to participate in society - that's the point.
  10. I'm talking about rehabilitation. Preparing him for life on the outside. Feeling part of society, willing and able to contribute. Not feeling like a total outsider upon whom society has turned it's back.
  11. Which constituency would they be voting in? Princetown, Wandsworth, and Strangeways? I couldn't see the point of it until the weasle word 'compensation' cropped up.

Be honest Schweik, how many prisoners vote when they are at liberty?
  12. The criminal is the one who places himself (or herself) out of society by their own voluntary actions. No one forces them to commit crimes, the criminal doesn't worry about the human rights of his victims when he is robbing/raping/murdering etc. THEY are the ones who turn their backs on society with their criminal actions.

Rehabilitation clearly doesn't work anyway as the amount of rapes and murders committed by early released prisoners points out.

Hanging works.... it is 100% effective at preventing reoffending.

What we will see in future is the unedifying spectacle of prospective MP's scrabbling around for the prison vote in their constituencies and no doubt making grubby little promises to their fellow criminal scum.

On another note.... it is also another attack on our democracy by the unaccountable and unelected foreign courts who have no genuine legal rights to tell us how to run our country.

Who the f*ck do these people think they are?
  13. Why?

The point that is being made and the one I agree with is the fact that by breaking the law of the society in which you live, you forfeit the rights enjoyed by that society. Voting being one of them. I understand the need to rehabilitate prisoners but why does this involve allowing them the vote? Why should my life be influenced by people who hold no regard for the law (yeah yeah politicians tish tish!)? I want to see prisoners getting less rights not more!
  14. I hazard a guess the 'villians' will not be voting for the party who promotes 'LAW & ORDER ISSUES'.
  15. I don't mind prisoners being allowed to vote, as long as soldiers don't have to pay council tax when on operations...