Prisoners to be housed in RAF Camp

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by rockape34, Jan 25, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Here:
    the headline could easily be rewritten as: "Neue Arbeit cuts Armed Forces to ensure Convicted Criminals are well looked after". No doubt the accommodation will be updated first! :frustrated:

2. Surely they will have to upgrade the accn first, can't have prisoners living in dumps now can we.

3. Thanks floppy - that's what I meant

4. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

They should stick them in an army camp and let the army have the raf camp!

5. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

Having seen the way you guys grab any spare RAF sites, and having been "accommodated" by the Army, I tend to agree.

Anyway, you have the wire. We only have the RAF Regt. ;-)

6. RAF Church Fenton? That's a big empty site might annoy the students though.

7. Its all been done before, and accommodation deemed suitable for military personnel had to be ‘improved and upgraded’ before poor convicted individuals were permitted to take up residence.

For example, Rolestone camp near Larkhill on Salisbury plain was once used to house young offenders during a shortage of prison accommodation.

Whilst work was carried out to bring the perimeter security up to a Category C level, they also gutted the accommodation, removed the old prehistoric heating systems and installed multiple numbers of electric heaters around the blocks.

In addition, they lined the blocks to insulate them from the inclement weather of the area, can’t have those little darlings feeling the cold now can we?

I understand that they also vastly improved the catering facilities on site too, modern state of the art appliances were installed along with state of the art modern heated serving facilities and even replaced the dining furniture and chairs.

At one point it was also earmarked to house asylum seekers and refugees although I cannot recall now whether they actually took occupation.

I think they got as far as removing the category C prison security perimeter though, after all, we can’t have those persecuted disadvantaged refugees and asylum seekers being made to feel they were incarcerated or being detained now could we?

Probably find that the whole idea of holding asylum seekers and refugees at Rolestone camp was dropped when it was realised that the very location would be discriminatory and put these darlings at a major disadvantage.

After all, I can’t recall there being a Post Office or Bank on site or just outside the gates so how would these deserving people claim and collect their benefits?

Given the distance from the camp to the nearest Post Office and Bank and the fact that they were village type affairs lacking in modern technologies, it was recognised that it would not be possible to install those wonderful electronic gadgets that link the PO with the Home Office that with the insertion of a card spells out the amount of benefit these poor disadvantaged people were entitled to receive.

Remind me again what class of citizen the soldier is supposed to be?

8. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

The finest, dear fellow, and thank God for you all!

9. I knof of a certain NE coastal RAF camp that was using portacabin style accommodation during a temporary SLA crisis. The portacabins (space for maybe 100 or so as I recall) were behind the wire but seperate from the main camp. I wonder.....

10. I was part of 174 Pro Coy RMP at Tidworth that had the unenviable task of babysitting 360 Cat C adult prisoners for 8 months during 1988. Rolestone camp was turned into HMP Rolestone!! The outer perimeter was manned by infantry regiments. The inner corden was patrolled by mod plod with dogs. The two wings were staffed with 174 and 158 from Bulford. The 3rd shift was drawn from the rest of the Pro Coys from round the UK. The wing governers were HMP and the wing supervisors were MPSC. I felt more of a prisoner than the little scrotes that were in there. We had to do everything that HMP officers normally do, body searches, sensor incoming/outgoing mail, screen visitors etc. There were some right filthy ba$tard$ amongst them!!

11. Actually, it's not a bad idea. Just the wrong camp.

Ship them down to the camp where the Joint Special Forces Group is based...

"Right lads. This is a Live Fire Exercise. In five minutes, several 4-tonners will start unloading Figure 11's - sorry, I mean prisoners.
    You will Advance to Contact. Targets will fall when hit..."

12. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

you could probably deport half of them back to country of origin...

13. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

An RAF camp
    Single man rooms,good scoff,little to do ?
    The lucky lucky lucky cunts

Why not treat them like the Army?
    Stick 10 to a room and when they complain that there is not enough room
    Tell then it down't matter we want you to take that shovel and work 17 hours a day and then al you have to worry about is sleep
    Get them to clear the areas needed to build new prisons and cut costs
    Chain them together and make them work !!
    Seems to work Stateside
    Don't worry about human rights they gave that up (or should have) when the commited a crime

14. you a 'guin perchance?

15. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Light blue touch paper and retire!