Prisoners serving fewer than four years to get vote

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by CCF_CI, Dec 17, 2010.

1. Yes

9 vote(s)
  2. No

48 vote(s)
  3. Don't Care/Know/In prison

2 vote(s)

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The irony is you can bet your arse they won't vote Tory!
  2. Resistance is futile?
  3. it all really comes down to what prison is for

if its there to punish someone for violating the social norms, you are therefore removed from normal socity and as part of that give up your rights as a normal person

if as some argue prision is there to rehabilitate, and make a person a useful part of socity then allowing them to vote and take an intrest in socity is a good thing
  4. Piss poor. On the programme about Nazi collaborators on Yesterday channel there was some old bird who was a member of the Rexist movement and married to one of Degrelle`s officers. She lost her civil rights for something like 15 years after the war, in Belgium. I`d like to see similar in the UK, behave like a ****, get treated like one.
  5. If you want to vote don't do the crime!Simples!
  6. With the new soft on crime coalition, it's probably their best bet!
  7. I voted yes. Voting is a right, no government should be allowed to take it away from you no matter what the reason.
  8. So why are expats (working often for British companies) still denied a vote when prisoners are allowed a vote?
  9. You have to register. There's an online form, if I recall correctly, for UK citizens overseas. If you know an expat but are complaining they're 'denied' their right then tell them it's partly their fault for not putting their effort into it. And proxy voting requires another person to vote on your behalf; not pursuing that means no one can proxy vote for you. Simple.
  10. Yes we do - and it is actually a pain in the arse as you have to register with your local (from your last UK address) electoral office. Then, very shortly before the election, they send out a voting slip for you to fill out and return. Absolutely no guarantee that it will get back in time - remember the postal strikes before the last election? Certainly no guarantee of an anonymous vote either. It is far far less hassle to register a proxy vote if you have someone back in the UK to vote for you. This is what I did last time, 3 weeks before the election. I was never registered, presumably due to typical local civil servant incompetence. So, it might be easier but it is still not a certainty.

Oh, after 15 years outside of the UK you lose the right to vote regardless of whether you still pay UK tax. So under the proposed new system there will be tax payers denied a vote and non-tax paying prisoners granted one. Utterly wrong on every level
  11. This is ****ing bullshit! Why the hell should a convicted criminal get the right to vote? They have been taken out of society because they can not live by the rules.
    What next? pay them JSA and a host of other benefits?
    They have the right to have TV's and games consoles in their cells.

The government need to decide if prisons are to be used as punishment or rehabilitation. Can it be used as both? Punishment for the first half and rehab for last half?
  12. I'm sure that the vast majority of the law abiding public would prefer that prisons be used primarily for punishment. The only people to disagree with that would be the prisoners themselves, their families, prisoner's charities & criminal lawyers. The planned Justice ministry re-shuffle in the new year should hopefully address the concerns of the aforementioned public.
  13. Don't hold your breath...
  14. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

IMHO this is one of the reasons why this country is in shoite order. It may well be a right to have a vote but with every right comes responsibility. It is this separation of responsibilities from rights which is the problem. They have committed a crime sufficiently serious to merit a custodial sentence therefore having given up their responsibility they forfeit their vote. Simples.