Prison too comfy to merit escape!

On the BBC today:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7366258.stm

Inmates are so comfortable in jail that they do not want to escape, a prison officer union leader says.

Glyn Travis of the Prison Officers Association says inmates are happy to stay inside because they can get hold of drugs, mobile phones and even sex.

He said a dealer regularly broke into a Yorkshire prison by using a ladder to enter cell windows - but no inmate used the ladder as a means of escape.

The Prison Service said the prisoners were never in a position to escape.

Mr Travis said the authorities only became aware of the security breaches at Everthorpe prison, near Brough, in January.

"It was an extraordinary case because none of the prisoners inside tried to escape, when no doubt they had the opportunity.

"It tells me something is wrong in society when people are breaking in to prisons to bring in drugs, but the prisoners are quite happy to stay inside," Mr Travis said.

Mr Travis blamed a shortage of prison officers and relaxed regimes, where prisoners enjoyed satellite television and video game consoles.

"Drugs are coming into prisons at a rate that's so dramatic that drugs in prison are actually cheaper than on the outside," he added.

A spokesman for the Prison Service said: "During the incident, at no time were prisoners out of their cells or able to access any other areas of the prison.

"Immediate action was taken with extra fencing, the removal of trees, extra CCTV cameras, and the transfer of the offender involved to another establishment."

Mr Travis claimed there have been similar incidents in other prisons.

In Sudbury prison in Derbyshire he said there was even an attempt to smuggle in prostitutes.

Conservative justice spokesman Nick Herbert called for a "fundamental shake-up" of prisons.

"Prisons should be places of hard work and restoration, preparing offenders to go straight. Instead we have overcrowded jails where drugs are rife, prisoners are too often idle and there is little purposeful activity."
So what would changes would you make in prisons to encourage escape attempts and what measures would you employ to prevent them 8)

K13

Easy answer Look at an episode of Porridge
Bunk beds, two to a room slopping out No TV very little home comforts. Time off for good behaviour and added time for bad behaviour.Kids who do Basic training have it less cushy than some prisoners. Compulsory work Projects for all offenders. Lets get back to prison being prison not Butlins!

I would allow prisoners to come and go as they please, as long as it was via a rubble chute lined with fish hooks and salt...

On a lighter note, hot water once a fortnight. No TV, or allow TV sets but don't provide aerials. I'm quite liberal though so I would allow them to have a video in each room. A betamax one.

White noise for 12 hours each day. For the other 12 I would let them listen to the greatest hits of aqua and the cheeky girls on a loop.

Chain gangs have got to be the answer. Get the scotes out working at 5 in the morning doing all the sh!te jobs no one else wants to do like digging out ditches, picking up all the cr@p that litters our motorways and railways and picking vegetables ... might not need hordes of eastern europeans that way. No satelite TV, no pool tables or games, cold water, basic food and lights out an hour after evening meal after they have slopped out, hand washed their clothes and written an apology for their crimes. And lots of drill. And PT. And only one visit per month.

Well theres a suprise. :roll:

3 People to a cell and a choice between BBC world Service or educational videos for entertainment.

3 Square meals a day served at 6 - 12 -6 oclock

No games equipment other than cards. No cigarettes, No access to any drugs (Smack heads beware) and a key one in my eyes... No gym equipment. If you want to get fit do press ups and sit ups and run round the yard during your 'schoolesque' Play time before dinner and before evening meal!

MSI64 said:
Easy answer Look at an episode of Porridge
Bunk beds, two to a room slopping out No TV very little home comforts. Time off for good behaviour and added time for bad behaviour.Kids who do Basic training have it less cushy than some prisoners. Compulsory work Projects for all offenders. Lets get back to prison being prison not Butlins!
It's be great sharing a cell with Fletch wouldn't it? It's be a right larf.

Closet_Jibber said:

3 People to a cell and a choice between BBC world Service or educational videos for entertainment.

No games equipment other than cards. No cigarettes, No access to any drugs (Smack heads beware) and a key one in my eyes... No gym equipment. If you want to get fit do press ups and sit ups and run round the yard during your 'schoolesque' Play time before dinner and before evening meal!
Are you still talking about prison? Or camp bastion?

jockass said:
Closet_Jibber said:

Are you still talking about prison? Or camp bastion?
Where do you think i got my inspiration from :twisted:

k13eod said:
Chain gangs have got to be the answer. Get the scotes out working at 5 in the morning doing all the sh!te jobs no one else wants to do like digging out ditches, picking up all the cr@p that litters our motorways and railways and picking vegetables ... might not need hordes of eastern europeans that way. No satelite TV, no pool tables or games, cold water, basic food and lights out an hour after evening meal after they have slopped out, hand washed their clothes and written an apology for their crimes. And lots of drill. And PT. And only one visit per month.
I love to see that, but trouble with chain gangs is a) it would never be allowed to actually chain them b) the guards wouldnt be able to carry shotguns unlike our enlightened american cousins. So I suspect the scrotes would scatter to the four winds within seconds.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7366258.stm

Glyn Travis of the Prison Officers Association says inmates are happy to stay inside because they can get hold of drugs, mobile phones and even sex.

He said a dealer regularly broke into a Yorkshire prison by using a ladder to enter cell windows - but no inmate used the ladder as a means of escape.
"The prisoners didn't take this opportunity because we believe life is so cushy within the prison system," he said.

"It tells me something is wrong in society when people are breaking in to prisons to bring in drugs, but the prisoners are quite happy to stay inside."
No wonder Liarbour claims our prisons are overcrowded - they're so much like the bloody Ritz that the crooks are lining up for a room!

Nine in the morning and already my outrageometer is rocketing. :x

jockass said:
k13eod said:
I love to see that, but trouble with chain gangs is a) it would never be allowed to actually chain them b) the guards wouldnt be able to carry shotguns unlike our enlightened american cousins. So I suspect the scrotes would scatter to the four winds within seconds.
Not if the punishment was No if's or buts 10 YEARS. No appeal, No more reward of being outside the prison fora few hours a day... Getting to see women etc.

oooh, do NOT get me started on this one!!!

Several years ago, HMPS tried to run a 'Boot Camp' regime at Thorn Cross Prison, int'North, proper room inspections, drill, asault courses etc...
Manned by ex-squaddie Prison Officers.
Guess what.,, the plug on that one got pulled by the 'pink and fluffy, let's give them all a group hug and they'll suddenly stop being bad people, human rights/wooly do-gooder,tree hugging brigade'...... because apparently, the inmates didn't like it!!! how very bloody sad for them!

Afew years ago,i was in America, on an exchance with their Air National Guard, and on the Edge of Volk Field Air Base, in sunny Wisconsin, there was an actual 'proper' boot camp.
I id'd myself, as HMPS and was given a guide tour.
Outside their cookhouse, they had pull up bars, ad dip beaks, and the inmates had to do 20 reps of each, just to prove they were hungry enough to be allowed into the cookhouse!!! IMAGINE THAT HERE??
Proper 'stand by your beds' EVERY hour, on the hour!!!
AWESOME!!!

Who says the Americans are stupid???

ooops, sorry for mong spelling,
should read ''pull up bars, and DIP BEAMS''

Prison isn't too bad, we, oops! they even get to use the internet and you still get paid your army pension while your inside. :wink:

Drugs are cheaper inside than out, you don't have to drag yourself out of bed to sign on each and every single fortnight, you can get all the nooky you want - sometimes even with a woman, apparently - so why should you want to go back outside? People will only expect you to live up to certain standards.

First positive encouragement to avoid work, now positive encouragement to avoid honesty! What a wonderful country we live in.

Most of us have known the prisons are too bloody easy for years , get rid of all the comforts and make it real punishment . When will the Prison Reform Trust and all the liberal do gooders admit that rehabilitation is a total failure . The only thing that will stop crime is making the basterds shit scared to commit it amd the resultant hard time inside

Having just retired from HMPS I completely concur with Glyn Travis 25 years ago we had discipline and control and 45,000 inmates, now we have no discipline and control and 82,000 inmates.......go figure, the key baseline for prisoner care is how we treat the elderly and infirmed.
Many years ago in a US state elections one of the candidates offered the electorate the choice of having the prison budget removed and put into state education.....this they did, the upshot was less young criminals and a reduction (long term) in the prison population.

Prison inmates have 24 hour access to health care, access to Full time education, guaranteed 3 meals a day, pay, TV in each cell, pastoral care, visits, treatment programmes, sports facility's and a canteen........take away education, pay, TV, pastoral care, treatment programmes, sports facilities and the canteens and put the money into inner city education.....all those made redundant retrain them as teachers and police officers.

Such a complex issue though - and actually one that relects society at large.

There is an evergrowing issue of an enlarging remand population here - and many of these are now people without an address who are remanded by courts to prison prior to their hearing date - why are they technically homeless when we are told that everyone is better off?

Many receptions declare themselves "no fixed abode" or in temporary accommodation (which they inevitably will lose) - then you have an issue of what to do with them when they are released as bail-hostels and other temporary forms of accommodation have not increased in lines with the population.

Drug use is a huge issue (they also throw it over the wall by the way in some prisons, same as mobile phones) and courts are under the impression that locking people in prison with drug rehabilatation in prison is a marvellous idea - forgetting the fact that the person probably has perhaps mental health (such as depression) issues and doing this only adds to the problem and you have to get them to engage in the programme in the first place.

Incidents happen in prisons the wholetime (suicides, people barricading themselves in rooms, incidents between prisoners, assaults on staff) which of course are not reported by the press and again TV doesn't help public perception - most portrayals of prison officers are that they are either dodgy, act like some cop from a 70s cop-show (I get facking results I do, fack the chief!) or are sadastic ar$eholes who don't give a toss about the prisoners - reality is less exciting, and personally anyone who does the job in current conditions should be saluted.

Prison should be there to protect the public, there is no way it acts as a deterrent, at the end of the day people on the whole "chose" to commit crimes. But is there an underlining issue here, for instance, there was a programe on earlier ion the week about ex-service men having to live on the streets after leaving (a f*cking disgrace tbh) - have some of these men had to turn to crime to actually be able to survive and could you blame them (I say this with full respect by the way - don't flame me on this point! :) ) -

With the numbers as they stand today you have to ask the question has Britain really gotten twice as worse in the past ten years?

I was in an African country a few months ago and there was a chap being interviewed on the radio who was back home having been removed from the UK after serving a sentence for smuggling narcotics.

He was saying what a great experience it was: good and plentiful food; great education ( he had gained IT qualifications); regular family visits; access to TV; great medical care etc etc etc. My African colleagues were hooting with laughter particularly when the ex-con's final words were recommend to all the listeners that if they wanted good food, education and medical care then they too should try a stint in UK prisons.