Prison Reform Trusts Concern over Prisoners at Christmas

When I went through training we had some who were given the choice of Borstal or the forces for most it helped to sort them out 'but' the army then was a different beast to the present one with the PC, H & S and Human Rights that are constantly spouted by the ones who cant/could not hack the 'life'.

We also had YTS/YOP lads with us getting paid a tenner a week less but who had the option of either signing on or leaving at the end of their 1st year (I was in JLRRE at Dover at the time and we spent a year before going onto our units)

I'm all for prison reform, build more of them, make them more unpleasant and bang more criminals up.

We do, however, have to make the justice system rather more watertight to prevent miscarriages of justice.

Bat_Crab said:
I'm all for prison reform, build more of them, make them more unpleasant and bang more criminals up.

We do, however, have to make the justice system rather more watertight to prevent miscarriages of justice.
Why build more. How about stop letting the fcukers live in Z-Type/Puma accomodation. Start doubling up on room numbers and reducing privelages. Cancel visiting rights at christmas. Taking away anything other than educational reading for recreation.

Make prisons nasty places. People will stop reoffending and little Timmy wont have to go without his stolen goods for christmas presents next year.

I'm not saying ditch all human rights. Just make life hard for them.

Fallschirmjager said:
Why not just kill all offenders who have committed more than 3 crimes.
Not kill.

I'm thinking more set up a TV game show where offenders have to run through several zones. Each guarded by a gladiator of sorts who has the legal backing of the government to execute them on capture.

"Its time to start RUNNING"

Okay so it is killing them. However its fun and it will fill the vacuum created by the lack of Big Brother when i call in a fire mission on the next location they use on the first day of broadcasting.

Bad_Crow said:
Fallschirmjager said:
Why not just kill all offenders who have committed more than 3 crimes.
Not kill.

I'm thinking more set up a TV game show where offenders have to run through several zones. Each guarded by a gladiator of sorts who has the legal backing of the government to execute them on capture.

"Its time to start RUNNING"

Okay so it is killing them. However its fun and it will fill the vacuum created by the lack of Big Brother when i call in a fire mission on the next location they use on the first day of broadcasting.
"Who loves you, and who do you love?" :twisted:

Tytus_Barnowl said:
If prisons were like MCTC they wouldn't.

Sorry mate, I take it by that comment that you are from a different era. (If not I would like to apologise, but...)

Having served 10 years ago at Colchester as a 'Monkey', it's like sodding Butlins. The MPSC staff are fairly powerless to do anything. They freely admitted that themselves.

Not that long ago two of them 'escaped', if you can call it that.

Did they dig holes, did they disguise themselves, did they hide in a bin van, or did they fashion keys, did they feck.

They walked out of the main gate.

The 'Hill' it ain't. Not anymore anyway.

seaweed said:
The Armed Services are not a dumping ground for criminals.
I cant think of a better place to put them .It's worked for 100s of years. You'de have to re-institute the stocks, lash, and bread/water rations, though. I also don't think the country should suffer for soldiers because of silly-arrsed crim. convictions. The army needs rougher grade of men to do its job. Why not recruit petty crims?

All of you are so harsh. These men are suffering feelings of sadness and isolation. One or two might even be feeling guilt.

I for one feel we should work to end this suffering of these poor men by sending gift boxes. I ask for suggestions as to what would be best:
1) Length of stout rope
2) razor blades (old fashioned kind)
3) substantial quantities of barbituates

Interesting, a side article states 500 custody deaths per year. This against an increase of 2000 per year in the pison population.

This clearly means we need to be aiming for 2,500 custody deaths per year just to keep even. Dead prisoners never re-offend.

nottyash said:
Tytus_Barnowl said:
If prisons were like MCTC they wouldn't.

Sorry mate, I take it by that comment that you are from a different era. (If not I would like to apologise, but...)

Having served 10 years ago at Colchester as a 'Monkey', it's like sodding Butlins. The MPSC staff are fairly powerless to do anything. They freely admitted that themselves.

Not that long ago two of them 'escaped', if you can call it that.

Did they dig holes, did they disguise themselves, did they hide in a bin van, or did they fashion keys, did they feck.

The 'Hill' it ain't. Not anymore anyway.
But they are getting some sort of education / trade training, advice, guidance etc which the current prison system isn't providing.

msr

Fallschirmjager said:
Repeat offenders are scum and should be killed.
You're really from Texas aren't you.

johnboyzzz said:
DRIVER_B_III_RASC said:
Many of those in prison these days, especially the good looking ones, will come out to a very bright future in American Football in the States. How so drive, I hear you ask, simple I say. They go in jail as tight defenders and come out as wide receivers.
Class.

Get the chain gangs started I say.
I was shocked 20 years ago when I enlisted up in Oregon and ended up in the South where chain gangs are still common sights. They look exactly like what you see in the movies; prisoners in common uniform, shotgun toting prison guards at both ends and another guard as driver. I've even seen a guard on horseback in Alabama.

Seeing them on the roads took some getting used to and come to find out most have more prisoners volunteer for them than spaces available.

The way I see it, but I could be wrong (and if you ask the wife, I usually am), prison appears to be a 'one size fits all' type of punishment. Should it not be firstly a deterrent, then a punishment as well as rehablitation? Why not then, break down sentences as such?

For example, sentences of up to, say, 2 years are hard labour - chain gangs perhaps. This is your deterrent

2 years to 4 years, the punishment - much the same as prisons are now with perhaps some modification.

Beyond 4 years - the rehabilitation of offenders so that they can be released back into the community as productive, law-abiding members. Now here's the clever bit. Any breach of the rules in prison result in moving backwards to the previous scenario. In the punishment bit and offend? Back to hard labour for the 2 year block or the remainder of the sentence.

This could apply to all sentences - so get 2 years, all of this would be hard labour. In addition, the minimum prison sentence would be 2 years. All other punishments should be community based, but why not use the '3 strikes and you're in' rule - the 3rd offence that would result in a community punishment automatically results in a 2-year sentence.

There's probably something fundamentally wrong with this, but it sounds good to me.

nottyash said:

I'll think you'll find they hopped over the fence behind A Company :D

I stand corrected, still didn't need the A Team, or to memorise episodes of Mission Impossible though.

The Colchester model is the one to follow.

A strict regime, where you come in with nothing.

You earn your perks, and you work hard. Those on drugs get the help they require, but not the drugs (cold turkey it is). Those who have no quals can study for them (similar to Hard Knocks High in Arizona).

Those that are banged up should be those who are a risk to the community. Others can be locked up in "bail hostels" where they go to work normally and carry out community service around that work. (ROPs :D )

Like has been mentioned. 3rd time of community service and it's time to be banged up. 3rd time you are banged up and you don't come out again.

I like the website idea that Joe has. I like the idea of having a website with EVERY offender, their crime and their sentance. Obviously after a few years they can be deleted as spent sentances.

As for scum coming in to the Armed Forces. I don't think so. We aren't here to take the dregs of humanity. Given the nature of todays armed forces (ie technical and disciplined) and the current ops we undertake, we don't really want the dregs of todays chav communities swelling our ranks.

We CAN use the methods of the Armed Forces though. I am sure the chavs of today would really benefit from keel hauling, the lash and cat......

In the town square in public view.

As for the original post. Whilst I feel for the children affected, I can't bring myself to give two purple sh1ts for the parents who have inflicted this problem on to the kids.

Do the crime, stand the fcuk by. (that should be the motto) :D

Latest Threads