• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Prison offices go on strike..... No one told me!

#1
Prison officers in England and Wales have begun a lightning strike in a row over pay and conditions.

(Advertisement)
Staff at 140 jails walked out at 7.00am this morning. The strike will last at least 24 hours.

Colin Moses from the Prison Officers' Association told Sky News: "I am waiting for a call from Justice Secretary Jack Straw to get round the negotiating table and resolve this.

"My members face abuse every day -- we are being asked to look after the most violent prisoners.

"Our job is to keep order and control in prisons and we should be properly rewarded for that.

"We've been given for the second year running a below inflation pay increase.

"We believe enough is enough."

Around 28,000 prison officers voted earlier this month to take industrial action over pay.

The row blew up after a pay review body recommended a rise of 2.5% this year but the Government decided it should be staged, reducing the value of the award to 1.9%

A spokeswoman for the Ministry of Justice said: "We regret this action by the Prison Officers' Association, which is illegal and a breach of the Joint Industrial Relations Procedural Agreement.

"We will be seeking advice on our next step."

Sky Correspondent Joey Jones said the Ministry appeared to have been caught completely unawares.

"There seems to be an atmosphere of panic," he said.

It is not clear who is currently staffing the 140 jails
Just found this on BT. This is the first l've heard of it and l'm a Prison Officer! No one knows whos stagging on the prisons either. Any other prison officers out there got a clue whats going on? Please say the Army have'nt got the short straw again. Granted l'd love to see a job lot of Squaddies thrashing the prisoners but we're that sodding stretched!
 

oldbaldy

LE
Moderator
#2
Biggles4221 said:
Prison officers in England and Wales have begun a lightning strike in a row over pay and conditions.

(Advertisement)
Staff at 140 jails walked out at 7.00am this morning. The strike will last at least 24 hours.

Colin Moses from the Prison Officers' Association told Sky News: "I am waiting for a call from Justice Secretary Jack Straw to get round the negotiating table and resolve this.

"My members face abuse every day -- we are being asked to look after the most violent prisoners.

"Our job is to keep order and control in prisons and we should be properly rewarded for that.

"We've been given for the second year running a below inflation pay increase.

"We believe enough is enough."

Around 28,000 prison officers voted earlier this month to take industrial action over pay.

The row blew up after a pay review body recommended a rise of 2.5% this year but the Government decided it should be staged, reducing the value of the award to 1.9%

A spokeswoman for the Ministry of Justice said: "We regret this action by the Prison Officers' Association, which is illegal and a breach of the Joint Industrial Relations Procedural Agreement.

"We will be seeking advice on our next step."

Sky Correspondent Joey Jones said the Ministry appeared to have been caught completely unawares.

"There seems to be an atmosphere of panic," he said.

It is not clear who is currently staffing the 140 jails
Just found this on BT. This is the first l've heard of it and l'm a Prison Officer! No one knows whos stagging on the prisons either. Any other prison officers out there got a clue whats going on? Please say the Army have'nt got the short straw again. Granted l'd love to see a job lot of Squaddies thrashing the prisoners but we're that sodding stretched!
Just had a call from my brother, first he knew was on the Beeb, then he got a flat on his way to work so he won't know what's happenning till he get to the gates!
 
#3
Biggles, judging by the report you should be off home taking the day off.
 
#4
Time to dust off Blunkett's plan for using prisoners as Figure 11's! :twisted:

Solves the overcrowding problem, 100% effective as rehabilitation - noone shot with a Gimpy ever re-offended - AND improves morale amongst PO's!

Damn, I'm good... 8)
 
#5
Well done lads and lasses, not before time, not only for the pay but the conditions you work in, this is the first time for 35 years.
 
#6
oldbaldy said:
Biggles4221 said:
Prison officers in England and Wales have begun a lightning strike in a row over pay and conditions.

(Advertisement)
Staff at 140 jails walked out at 7.00am this morning. The strike will last at least 24 hours.

Colin Moses from the Prison Officers' Association told Sky News: "I am waiting for a call from Justice Secretary Jack Straw to get round the negotiating table and resolve this.

"My members face abuse every day -- we are being asked to look after the most violent prisoners.

"Our job is to keep order and control in prisons and we should be properly rewarded for that.

"We've been given for the second year running a below inflation pay increase.

"We believe enough is enough."

Around 28,000 prison officers voted earlier this month to take industrial action over pay.

The row blew up after a pay review body recommended a rise of 2.5% this year but the Government decided it should be staged, reducing the value of the award to 1.9%

A spokeswoman for the Ministry of Justice said: "We regret this action by the Prison Officers' Association, which is illegal and a breach of the Joint Industrial Relations Procedural Agreement.

"We will be seeking advice on our next step."

Sky Correspondent Joey Jones said the Ministry appeared to have been caught completely unawares.

"There seems to be an atmosphere of panic," he said.

It is not clear who is currently staffing the 140 jails
Just found this on BT. This is the first l've heard of it and l'm a Prison Officer! No one knows whos stagging on the prisons either. Any other prison officers out there got a clue whats going on? Please say the Army have'nt got the short straw again. Granted l'd love to see a job lot of Squaddies thrashing the prisoners but we're that sodding stretched!
Just had a call from my brother, first he knew was on the Beeb, then he got a flat on his way to work so he won't know what's happenning till he get to the gates!
:D Good they have been treated badly for some time cut down on cell searches crap pay offer Straw needs stuffin :x
 
#7
Some one on BBC 5 Live just complaining they don't get paid enough money. Apparantley starts at £15000 what does a squaddie earn today when signing up?

No one disagrees they've been treated badly, but what effect will this have on our overstretched forces, IF it continues. Will the army be called in to man the prisons?
This old basta*d been out 18 years so out of touch.
 
#8
dante242 said:
Well done lads and lasses, not before time, not only for the pay but the conditions you work in, this is the first time for 35 years.
Excuse me, 35 years? sometime between 10 and 20 more like surely?
 
#9
Work to rule various times, meetings outside the gate and you had Wandsworth and others like Gloucester (fish and Chips) , but first national full strike for 35 years.
 
#10
Sack all the prison officers , leave all prisoners locked in their cells and forget about them . Build new prisons and start all over again .
 
#11
OldTimer said:
Sack all the prison officers , leave all prisoners locked in their cells and forget about them . Build new prisons and start all over again .
Why build new prisons? Just chuck the new cons on top of the decomposing corpse of the previous resident... :twisted:
 
#12
OldTimer said:
Sack all the prison officers , leave all prisoners locked in their cells and forget about them . Build new prisons and start all over again .
Why build when you can burn!!!!!
Burn down the old prisons with the old 'dead' inmates - saves on burying them. Let new prisoners clear the ground and build the new prisons (training for their release) then lock them all up for 24x7, no food/water etc and the proces starts all over again...

The Circle of A Lifer (queue Sir Elton singing his song)
 

oldbaldy

LE
Moderator
#13
woolyback_bastard said:
Some one on BBC 5 Live just complaining they don't get paid enough money. Apparantley starts at £15000 what does a squaddie earn today when signing up?

No one disagrees they've been treated badly, but what effect will this have on our overstretched forces, IF it continues. Will the army be called in to man the prisons?
This old basta*d been out 18 years so out of touch.
In a word No. The forces are not part of the contingency plan. Not that there are any to use anyway.
 
#14
Spoke to my nick. Turns out not all have gone on strike. People in probation are stagging on and management. I belive it will be up to the police to stag on and not the forces (whats left) so at least the police will get paid over time! I will be going to work regardless about the fact l'm still in probation, for a few reasons, The main one is l'm not Jack and l'm going to help out with the bods that did'nt strike!
 
#15
Biggles, Word of advice, if you are in the POA speak to your rep and explain why you feel you need to go in, it may help after........or PM me, I have 22 years in and just about to retire
 
#16
28,000 voted to strike then? [out of how many?] So that's 1 PO for each 3 prisoners............and that's only the ones who voted to strike?
Even alllowing for shifts it still sounds like overmanning to me but perhaps like the police they have lots of deskwallahs filling out paperwork instead of on the blocks.
 
#17
Just take away the prisoners satellite TV...visitations...freedom of movement, and chuck them in a pit in the ground with the bars on top.

The prison guards don't have to face abuse and risk of injury if theres no cell searches, and the prisoners would be too emaciated to fight anyway.

I'm not a black shirt, honest :oops:
 
#18
Nice grasp of shift systems....... you must be the prisons minister
 
#20
ukdaytona said:
OldTimer said:
Sack all the prison officers , leave all prisoners locked in their cells and forget about them . Build new prisons and start all over again .
Why build when you can burn!!!!!
Burn down the old prisons with the old 'dead' inmates - saves on burying them. Let new prisoners clear the ground and build the new prisons (training for their release) then lock them all up for 24x7, no food/water etc and the proces starts all over again...

The Circle of A Lifer (queue Sir Elton singing his song)
I agree in principle with a nice big fire, but David Cameron would be apoplectic about the Carbon emissions. Much better to fill the Prison slowly with porridge ........oh the irony.
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
goodoldboy The Book Club 0
buggrit Films, Music and All Things Artsy 111
seaweed The Book Club 1

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top