Prison, Ch 4 last night

Easy open the letter photocopy the letter and pass that on, destroy the original.
My jail almost has everything in place to do that for every private letter.
But the amount of mail received daily, means employing two extra staff just to do the photocopying. If we can't afford more Officers, it'll be a struggle to afford that.
As it stands at the moment, private mail is photocopied based on int.

There is a free scheme called "emailaprisoner". Everyone has the means to e mail, even if granny has to go to the library.
Staff here & no doubt at other jails have suggested that this be the only means of private communication. So far, deaf ears.

As Ho2331 says, corruption is a huge problem.
The increase in corrupt staff has been caused by recruiting thousands of new officers over a very short period to make up for the thousands that were let go a few years ago.
The intention of HMPPS was to recruit 2500 over two years & retain them at the five year point. Problem is, so many are leaving, they will have to recruit 12500 just to have a 2500 increase at that point.
I was an Officer up to just over a year ago but due to a mixture of age & injury, now work in the Operational Support Group. What I see on staff searches, Police searches of staff cars coming into the car park & so on, would make your eyes water, believe me.
Corrupt staff are scum & nothing else.
The service is in absolute crisis. The number of Officers that are on long term sick or restricted duties due to stress or injury is enormous.
Of course, this just increases the pressure onto other Officers.
I carry a radio & incidents & problems are almost constant. How the hell anyone is having time to carry out correct procedures & complete the paperwork, I don't know.
These problems are a combination of spice, a younger & more violent prison population & lack of staff.
Staff are barely holding their heads above water, increasingly, they are going under.

Is it any wonder we are having problems in an organisation where inmates used to officially be called prisoners, then offenders, & are now referred to as "the men in our care"?

I'm not poor by any standards but how a prison officer in the south east can afford a new car and a high end model is worrying! Go to any HMP and see the cars in the staff car park area, lots of shiny new Audis, BMW's and the odd £80k range rover. Now are they really leasing them on PCP or is PCP funding them?
From my experience, the vast majority of those high end cars belong to non uniformed staff.

ugly

LE
There is a free scheme called "emailaprisoner". Everyone has the means to e mail, even if granny has to go to the library.
Staff here & no doubt at other jails have suggested that this be the only means of private communication. So far, deaf ears.
I have found its not free, we have to pay so the prisoner can have the email printed and handed over to them.

ugly

LE
From my experience, the vast majority of those high end cars belong to non uniformed staff.
I can only say what I see at lunchtime when the breaks are taken and uniformed officers get into new cars in the car park. Even though most visits are from 1400 my wife insists on arriving at noon to register first then we have lunch in our car or at a picnic table if sunny.
Funny what you see that raises eyebrows. Does HMP still do quarters? That would explain some nice cars.

I can only say what I see at lunchtime when the breaks are taken and uniformed officers get into new cars in the car park. Even though most visits are from 1400 my wife insists on arriving at noon to register first then we have lunch in our car or at a picnic table if sunny.
Funny what you see that raises eyebrows. Does HMP still do quarters? That would explain some nice cars.
No quarters now, not for some years.

ugly

LE
The
No quarters now, not for some years.
prison I visited last had some although I couldn't say if they were used, one had caught fire so who knows?
Visiting a different nick up in the midlands in 2 weeks. This should be entertaining!

ugly

LE
You should not be paying it is a FREE service to allow prisoners families to communicate with loved ones in custody.
You need to talk to someone at that prison.
Email a prisoner - the hassle free way to keep in touch
How it works
How Email a Prisoner works

Email a Prisoner works and works well. However, we wouldn't be able to operate our service if it were not for the assistance and co-operation of the Prison Service and prison staff.

You can send messages to a prisoner via this website, it takes only a few minutes to sign up and, the message gets delivered to the prison rapidly.

Our sophisticated systems allow you to write an email, press 'send' and sit back in the knowledge the email will be delivered safely, securely & ready for delivery to the prison of your choice. Your message is printed inside the prison and will be included in the daily mail delivery. From all corners of the World you can now stay in contact with prisoners, all for 40p per message.

The Email a Prisoner service is constantly being improved and some of the establishments facilitate our new developments. Please click on locations for further information.

We are also looking to increase the portfolio of services that we offer to prisoner friends and families to make coping with a loved one being away from home easier. If you have any comments or ideas for services that you would find useful please let us know.

40p may not be much but you have to lodge a £5 deposit and its 40p an email after that.

I agree, its not all of them, there are a few with really nice cars, I couldn't afford them on my wages let alone theirs, I am on a second career and have pension money due soon but some of these folk either dont care or dont know what the rest of their colleagues think.
There is corruption, I know there is petty theft in prisons, stuff goes missing all the time and often from the prison safe. Mail withheld or not delivered. Clothes that dont all appear on changeover days. It all goes on. I'm not saying everyone does it, it only needs one or two.

Edited to add, Ho dont take it personally, I dont. I have quit jobs because of the backhander culture. I would often be marginalised for not signing ghost staff in and would take that as a hint.
I dont do corruption its never worth it!
I'm sorry, if it appears that I'm taking it personally. Genuinely, I am not. You are not exactly the sort of poster who likes to troll.

Is it any wonder we are having problems in an organisation where inmates used to officially be called prisoners, then offenders, & are now referred to as "the men in our care"?
A little off topic but a former New South Wales Police officer stated in a semi-biographical account of his time in the force that things started to go downhill when officers were ordered to refer to those whom they arrested, as being either "customers," or "clients," (I can't remember which) of that police service. He observed sourly that most good officers had customarily referred to such persons simply as, "Sh!theads!"

Email a prisoner - the hassle free way to keep in touch
How it works
How Email a Prisoner works

Email a Prisoner works and works well. However, we wouldn't be able to operate our service if it were not for the assistance and co-operation of the Prison Service and prison staff.

You can send messages to a prisoner via this website, it takes only a few minutes to sign up and, the message gets delivered to the prison rapidly.

Our sophisticated systems allow you to write an email, press 'send' and sit back in the knowledge the email will be delivered safely, securely & ready for delivery to the prison of your choice. Your message is printed inside the prison and will be included in the daily mail delivery. From all corners of the World you can now stay in contact with prisoners, all for 40p per message.

The Email a Prisoner service is constantly being improved and some of the establishments facilitate our new developments. Please click on locations for further information.

We are also looking to increase the portfolio of services that we offer to prisoner friends and families to make coping with a loved one being away from home easier. If you have any comments or ideas for services that you would find useful please let us know.

40p may not be much but you have to lodge a £5 deposit and its 40p an email after that.
I stand corrected. Apologies.

ugly

LE
I'm sorry, if it appears that I'm taking it personally. Genuinely, I am not. You are not exactly the sort of poster who likes to troll.
Sorry if I made you seem that way!
It doesn't look good though, prison, just outside the M25 and a car park with very shiny cars, the visitors cars aren't that nice, crime obviously doesn't pay well to families!

ugly

LE
I stand corrected. Apologies.
Accepted, I know its marginally cheaper than post but who posts mail much anyway? We send the odd photobook in (takes forever to clear security) for birthdays etc but she phones us most evenings and we deposit the most dosh of her friends into her account so she can. Apropos of that, a lot of money is deposited in prisoner accounts from non relatives to ensure other prisoners are looked after. I have heard of £10k in one case.

Get fucked shithead, at no point in my time at Deepcut was I offered a TV by the CoC.
Because if they had, you would had lost it, or had it placed in the wrong room

Every part of The CJS from Police, CPS, Courts, Prisons and through to Probation has been absolutely brought to the brink of failure.

I would imagine that criminals are laughing at this state of affairs and feel emboldened to act with impunity.

Sorry if I made you seem that way!
It doesn't look good though, prison, just outside the M25 and a car park with very shiny cars, the visitors cars aren't that nice, crime obviously doesn't pay well to families!
It must depend on the area. A lot of the visitors at my local turn up in the usual German cars and suvs.

Granted I also have two shiny new cars. If I'm on the take would they kindly let me know.

As @undervalued has pointed out.

My jail almost has everything in place to do that for every private letter.

The increase in staff that don't give a flying fcuk about proper procedures, processes & discipline has been caused by recruiting thousands of new officers over a very short period to make up for the thousands that were let go a few years ago.

ugly

LE
The problem with cutting the justice system also means that the wrong person can get banged up with very little in the way of justice being done