Prison. Butlins or Gulag?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by scalieback, Jan 6, 2006.

1. There must be another way than to deprive liberty?

2. Holiday camp?

3. Deterrent?

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. There has always been a number of suicides in prison among young offenders. However, in view of a number of comments on various Police threads, I think a poll may be worthwhile.
  2. The threat of being sent down should strike fear into those considering a life of crime. Those that do get put away should spend their time wishing that they were out and planning on a life where they never have to return. TVs, pool tables, Playstations and the like should all be taken away and the place turned into a place of punishment. If they are overcrowded, don't release criminals early - build more, bigger prisons. I'm sure there must be an island somehere off the scottish coast that no-one wants, use it for these prisoners. Let life mean life and stop pandering to the liberal bleeding-hearts brigade who don't want prisoners to be upset and being locked up.

There you go - rant over!!
  3. Prison Suicide = Less overcrowding which means we can bang up more drug dealers instead of bailing them to re-offend.

If you can't do the time, don't do the crime ladies and gents of the criminal fraternity!
  4. I hate the term "criminal fraternity" -- it gives criminals as a group an air of legitimacy, as if they are fundamentally the same as any other "fraternity".
  5. I can't help feeling that something's gone wrong somewhere along the way. The present prison system in the US and Europe has been in existence for hundreds of years. Surely in that long time some sort of result could be expected? But all they do is build more chokeys and bang more people up.
    I've no idea what a different system could look like, but if life in prison prompted 75 people to take their own lives and 98 the year before, something's badly awry somewhere.

6. They must be a holiday camp. If they were a deterrent, people wouldn't reoffend, or am I being too simplistic?
  7. How about a system in which murderers were executed, those that are put in jail are actually punished for their crime, and those first offenders who stray are given such a hard time they would never consider reoffending? ie Make jails unpleasant and there may be less people being jailed, it's called deterrence.
  8. i agree with "Legs" comments, all the home comforts should be binned, work them, break rocks with sledgehammers or whatever.

As for overcrowding, build big floating prisons and stick em out on the North Sea about 25 miles off Bridlington, that'll cheer them up.
  9. The trouble with the prisonn system is that small-time petty scrotes get to mix with the big boys inside, thus picking up an education into how to be a real criminal nasty piece of sh@t. Then they come out to the public after their two year reduced to two month sentance and commit some really serious crimes. The Victorians had the right idea!
  10. Which is why a one size fits all prison policy doesn't work. First time offenders... boot camp... 2nd offence Hard time Jail, 3rd offence Life imprisonment.... Murder etc.... Death..... Bet you would see a sharp reduction in crime and less innocent people being murdered.
  11. Yeah, it's badly awry hat the suicide rate's not in triple figures.
    If you can't hack jail - DON'T BREAK THE LAW!
    The more worthless little scroates top themselves, the less my taxes have to pay for. And at least I can be sure they won't re-offend.
    We should build American style Super-Max jails. One prisoner to a cell. No TV, DVD, Radio or books. No exercise. No interaction with other cons or guards. No contact with family. No time off for good behaviour - just xtra time for any breach of discipline. All guards to be paramilitary trained, armed and wearing full riot gear at all times.Attack a guard and, at the very least, you will be beaten to a pulp. Try to escape and we'll shoot you dead - if the dogs don't get you first.
    There are plenty of open spaces up here in Scotland to build these type of jails.
    Most people in jail are not unluck, or socially disadvantaged or any of the other excuses you hear. Most people are in jail because they are lazy, vicous, worthless scum. And it's tine we started treating them like scum.
  12. Unfortunately, I think we're all sufficiently educated to realise that the death penalty will never be re-instated in this country.
  13. Why not Private Pike? Most people want it reinstated... except scum and do gooders.
  14. What has gone awry is that we don't have enough loony bins anymore.
    Care in the community is a great big steaming pile of shite that has cost lives.

15. The problem is the attitude to most of the lowlifes who are up in front of the justice system. I was in court (as an observer) the other day and was shocked at the lack of concern a lot of the oiks showed at being up for their crime. One young tealeaf came in, slung his bag in the dock before slouching down in his best kappa tracksuit. I wanted to scream "send the oik down, i don't care what he has done". having never been on the recieving end of the justice system, i would treat being summoned with a great deal of embarasmnet and turn up suited and booted and whatever else is required to try and stay out of punnishment. But this guys "whatever" attitude was a real eye opener. If i thought this was a one off then i was wrong. Allt he cases, bar one, were scruffy oiks who would have benifited a "badlads" style beasting with that provost sgt!!!

The oiks use their crime stats as a badge of pride, and even their parents, parteners, kids are proud of their record. But i'm not sure whatthe answer is except beatings and a remote island prison or prison ships!!!!!!