Prismatic Compass Markings

Discussion in 'The Lamp and Sandbag II - The Tall Story Strikes B' started by Border_Reiver, Oct 25, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The old Prismatic Compass certainly in use in the 60's and 70's had the card which floated in the oil filled body marked , degrees version , North East South West . However around the outside of the body the cardinal points were marked N W S E ... why ? I believe they were withdrawn because the luminous markings were too radioactive .

2. msr

msr LE

Because the prismatic compass works in reverse.

msr

3. I think they are still issued to officers.

4. And MFCs. No doubt FOOs, too.

5. We certainly do, however as for FOO's if they do theirs must be f*cked

6. Spanish_Dave

Spanish_Dave LE Good Egg (charities)

ask Boris, he will know the answer :D

7. I heard the Royal Irish had the best Mortar Pl in the British Army.

8. Mate you should see their MMG Pl re wrote the pamphlet by all accounts

9. Yep, I worked with them in Kenya. They were the best gunners in........err

Archers Post.

10. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

I thought they were withdrawn after July 8, 1947?

11. Thanks for info . Have checked out website and read the explanation . It must be a survey thing to invert things ... I now remember the staff used for engineering survey work had to be read upside down through the " Dumpy Level .

12. It's because you look at the markings through the prism - essentially a mirror.

The degrees version would have been withdrawn when the British Army converted to mils, though I would imagine that Air Controllers would have kept the degrees version, at least for a while longer.

The radioactivity issue may also be a fair point - I have a couple of old pocket watches and a Spitfire clock that caused my Physics teacher to sh!t himself when he was introducing us to the Geiger counter. And that was in the days when we were encouraged to roll mercury about in the palms of our hands :)

13. Shit.

That explains my kid having 3 heads then.

Quite like the previous comment 'it must be a survey thing' - a bit like wandering aimlessly in the ulu at obscure hours whilst everyone else is eating/drinking/sleeping trying to find the lost BP, and screaming at people not to lean on the PADS wagon as 20 minutes of spinning up gets fecked out the window as some mong parks their arse on the bonnet

... and breath.

14. :D :D :D And steal metallic Sodium and stick in the school bogs. And taking the stopper off the Bromium container - for a laugh! Health and Safety my arrse 8)