Priority treatment for veterans Scotland.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by wheelchairwarrier, Feb 16, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Well as they say every little helps.

Guidance on how NHS priority treatment will be extended to all armed service personnel who have developed health problems as a result of service to their country was today issued to health boards.

Previously, war veterans were only entitled to priority treatment for conditions relating to service if they received a war pension.

Cabinet Secretary for Health and Wellbeing Nicola Sturgeon announced last year that all veterans would receive the same access as war pensioners.

The guidance issued to health boards today asks them to ensure that all relevant staff are aware of the new arrangements, which come into effect on February 29.

Ms Sturgeon said: "It is only fair that those who experience health problems as a result of serving for their country should get priority access to treatment.

"Our service men and women do a fantastic job and I hope that the new measures to improve support for them will be warmly welcomed."

Ron Smith, Chairman of Veterans Scotland, said: "The veterans community in Scotland welcomes the willingness of the Scottish Government to engage with us to determine the most pragmatic way of implementing and monitoring the success of this new and much-needed policy, which is no more and no less than the country's recognition of its debt owed to Armed Forces veterans across Scotland."

The Scottish Government will shortly organise a workshop for individuals, representatives from veterans' organisations and representatives from Citizens Advice Scotland promote understanding of the new guidance.

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/News/Releases/2008/02/15100452

WW

2. Top story.

Glad to see all that money spunked on teh Scotish Government has had some good.

Now if we can just get it south of the border.

3. Weve had it here for a while now.

Attached Files:

4. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Plus, this is only available if the illness is related to your armed forces service. This does not nean that veterans will get automatic preferential treatment.

5. "this is only available if the illness is related to your armed forces service. This does not nean that veterans will get automatic preferential treatment.

quite true Auld-yin, but of course that depends on how you make your approach ;)

It more a case of awareness in the first place , my own GP practice will give Ex a same day appointment , the chavs and lepers can wait and fester for a while , Its just a case of getting the message accross.

WW

6. This same article was posted HERE on 23/11/2007
    HDL(2006) 16 applies to Scotland and lists priority

England has HSG(97)31 and
    Wales has WHC (2005) 074
    both of which say practically the same as HDL (2006)16

There is NO priority for veterans in Northern Ireland :( .

I have tried uploading the .pdf documents previously to no avail.

Hope this is of use

7. haha - gottit (I think) .pdf's attached for Wales, England and Scotland (though not necessarily in that order ;)
    enjoy ...

Attached Files:

8. Just to be pedantic the above pdf for Scotland has been superseeded in light of the transition to Scottish self government, my original link is the reminder that the new arrangements come in to effect at the end of Feb.
    However this should not detract from the fact that priority care should be made available, the thing is making it clear to the health authority that the patient is a veteran , I have left out word war , as in Scotland " all veterans would receive the same access as war pensioners." no cut off date,

whereas the pdf HSG (97)31 defines dates upto the 2nd Sept 1939 !

I may have the wrong end of the mills grenade, and will stand to be corrected.

WW

9. When i received my War Pension Notification it said I should, where appropriate be referred to the nearest Military Medical facility where not available then should be treated by the NHS. I live in Scotland so I think the nearest appropriate Military Medical Facility is Basra and I don't think they issue Travel Warrants any more. If I go to my GP they have little if any interest in my previous Military Service they send you to the nearest Hospital where you are placed on the "Clinical" waiting list which means the Consultant will asses your treatment requirements the same as any other NHS patient as "Clinical" needs are always the priority. I was told that due to my young age I will not be treated at the moment as it would require repeating the replacement. I should wait until I'm older then I can have knee replacements which will last me a lifetime (20 years).

I am aware that there are others in greater need than me many of whom use this site but think that what they say and the reality of what they in fact do are a long way apart.

10. from BAFF's written evidence in June 2007 to the House of Commons Defence Committee's inquiry into medical care for the armed forces:

11. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

And then we have this:
    http://news.scotsman.com/politics/Scots-veterans-39let-down39-by.3786134.jp