Priority NHS treatment for Veterans.

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by 1stgulfmac, Sep 26, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. With all the talk of A forces hospital this came by email today via Veterans World:
    Veterans World Link

A good all round read as well, with articles on prison care and support for those on the streets.

2. Seems fair to me. Especially for former national servicemen, who had no choice in joining up.

3. it was part of the NHS act right at the beginning that war pensioners who need hospital treatment for the injury that they are recieving a pension for, should recieve priority treatment.
    conveniently forgotten over the years by the establishment.

edited to add:

it was in 1953 when hospitals ran by the department of pensions for treatment of war pensioners were transferred to the NHS

4. Only major down fall with that whole statement...

"If a veteran is eligible for priority treatment, they will not be given priority over other patients with more urgent clinical needs. It is for the clinician in charge to determine whether a condition is related to Service and to allocate priority."

Or if the clinician in charge is pro or anti military, leaves it open to politics rather than requirement.

Apart from that, its a great idea.

5. But seems to be coming to the fore again.

6. I'll believe it when I see it! What about serving servicemen and women? I spent almost 2 hours in an NHS waiting room recently for a 5 minute consultation with an SHO (civilian), couldn't wait to get me out... I didnt even get examined, welcome to the NHS eh! All the way to the West Midlands for a 5 minute hurry up and off you go.