Priority NHS treatment for military personnel/veterans

I've put this in the Health forum but I'm aware that there are some that don't venture out of the NAAFI for fear of being taken seriously, and I think this message needs to get out to as many as possible.

I am an Armed Forces Champion at the NHS hospital where I work, helping to ensure that any patients that are serving or veteran personnel are identified so that we can ensure they are prioritised where necessary, and I think it's a message that needs to be shared to as many as possible.

Please, if you are registered with a GP in the UK, or receiving treatment at any NHS facility, make sure they know you have served, either as a Regular or a Reservist, even if only for 1 day.

Last edited:
The reservists normally let everyone know they are/were a reservist.

Petrol Station Attendant: "Pump 2, that's £33.00 please".

Customer: "We used fuel in our army jeeps at the weekend, when we were on exercise".

Petrol Pump Attendant: "Fuck off you STAB cunt".

Customer: "We used fuel in our army jeeps at the weekend, when we were on exercise".

Petrol Pump Attendant: "**** off you STAB ****".
Is it still Friday night?

I've put this in the Health forum but I'm aware that there are some that don't venture out of the NAAFI for fear of being taken seriously, and I think this message needs to get out to as many as possible.

I am an Armed Forces Champion at the NHS hospital where I work, helping to ensure that any patients that are serving or veteran personnel are identified so that we can ensure they are prioritised where necessary, and I think it's a message that needs to be shared to as many as possible.

Please, if you are registered with a GP in the UK, or receiving treatment at any NHS facility, make sure they know you have served, either as a Regular or a Reservist, even if only for 1 day.

Great idea, but in reality it doesn’t work, nor can you push it because spiteful cünts will push you back further should you have the audacity to complain.

I hope sincerely that you are referring to treatment for serious medical conditions that are directly attributable to current or past service. Otherwise you are definitely not on.

ETA. Ah, I see that your initial post has been edited. Glad that's cleared up.

Last edited:

bedended

War Hero
I hope sincerely that you are referring to treatment for serious medical conditions that are directly attributable to current or past service. Otherwise you are definitely not on.
Morning @Provost,
That's exactly what I was told by my family G.P. who knew I'd served. Good egg though as he somehow managed to circumvent that issue for me.

Last edited:

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
Thanks for putting that succinctly. I can't quite grasp how "one day's service" can be comparable to someone who has served in the regs for many years, and perhaps has medical conditions directly related to that service.

There's enough people taking the piss out of the beleaguered NHS as it is, without even more trying it on.

I have a doctor's appointment on Tuesday and one of the questions I'll be asking is - do any of you buggers practice privately, alongside your NHS work?

I think that the NHS does need to prioritise treatment for veterans, however, if its just routine stuff that is not attributable to service then wait the same as everyone else. If the problem IS attributable to service (prime example being Dingerr) then off to the front of the line you go. Mental health issues from serving for instance should be a top priority.

Thanks for putting that succinctly. I can't quite grasp how "one day's service" can be comparable to someone who has served in the regs for many years, and perhaps has medical conditions directly related to that service.

There's enough people taking the piss out of the beleaguered NHS as it is, without even more trying it on.

I have a doctor's appointment on Tuesday and one of the questions I'll be asking is - do any of you buggers practice privately, alongside your NHS work?
If you're talking to your GP, his/her practice is entirely private.

If you're talking to a hospital consultant - probably.

And given that they work in a competitive market, why shouldnt they work in addition (or instead of) the NHS?

Even with the addendum to the initial post clarifying the position, I am still concerned that it is an invitation to 'special case pleading' for resources that are, in any case, already spread thinly.

Can we expect the emergency services personnel also to start fighting their corner? Or, for that matter, anyone else who suffers ailments attributable to previous employment? We're then back to square one.

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
If you're talking to your GP, his/her practice is entirely private.

If you're talking to a hospital consultant - probably.

And given that they work in a competitive market, why shouldnt they work in addition (or instead of) the NHS?

Agree on the second two points.

My point, however, was that I don't think any of the GP's I've seen at the practice I've attended for over 40 years work privately - if they did, I'd see them on a private basis!

Agree on the second two points.

My point, however, was that I don't think any of the GP's I've seen at the practice I've attended for over 40 years work privately - if they did, I'd see them on a private basis!
Technically aren't they contracted to provide a service to the NHS, they might not work privately but they are in a way contractors to the NHS

Nearly every GP practice is a private business. They get a set amount per patient on their list, and from that they pay for everything (and everyone) that the practice provides.

If you ever go for a sick note, travel immunisation, etc, and have to pay, you have effectively paid to "go private" as those services are not NHS provided.

endure

GCM
Nearly every GP practice is a private business. They get a set amount per patient on their list, and from that they pay for everything (and everyone) that the practice provides.
GP Costs for NHS work (including staff, rent and other cost directly Involved) are paid by the NHS. GPS get capitation and performance fees paid to them which they share as partners in the practice. Any private work such as certificates and vaccinations are charged as private practice fees.

I could play the veteran card if I wanted to tbh. I have a knackered right knee, partially due to playing Rugby, but more to do with sticking my foot down a Rabbit burrow on SPTA while carrying a Bergan and the rest of the kit.
At some point I'll probably need a knee replacement, now do I pull the "I'm a Veteran, get me sorted" card or do I just carry on normal jogging and allow someone who needs that procedure to get it done?

I can wait tbh, it does cause me a few problems occasionally, like giving out underneath me as I tried to sit on the bog at 6am on Tuesday morning and ended up on the bathroom floor.

But, it doesn't have much of an impact on my day to day life, yes it aches, yes it does go from under me occasionally, but it doesn't prevent me from getting about.

Petrol Pump Attendant: "**** off you STAB ****".
The way that attendant treated you was disgusting. I hope you filed a complaint, got the justice you deserve and the fuel needed for your weekend.

I could play the veteran card if I wanted to tbh. I have a knackered right knee, partially due to playing Rugby, but more to do with sticking my foot down a Rabbit burrow on SPTA while carrying a Bergan and the rest of the kit.
At some point I'll probably need a knee replacement, now do I pull the "I'm a Veteran, get me sorted" card or do I just carry on normal jogging and allow someone who needs that procedure to get it done?

I can wait tbh, it does cause me a few problems occasionally, like giving out underneath me as I tried to sit on the bog at 6am on Tuesday morning and ended up on the bathroom floor.

But, it doesn't have much of an impact on my day to day life, yes it aches, yes it does go from under me occasionally, but it doesn't prevent me from getting about.
Ask your GP, ensure that your status as a Service veteran is recorded on your docs, and be assessed for treatment based on your clinical need, just like the rest of the population does.

Latest Threads