Prioritising bandwidth on multiple connections

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by BrunoNoMedals, Nov 19, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BrunoNoMedals

BrunoNoMedals LE Reviewer

Ok, I've just got our shared house connected to the Internet. Took nearly four months of arsing around with Orange and BT, but we got there. Now it's up, the token female in the house has taken the opportunity to download more rug-munching grot than me, and it's interfering with my own attempts to expand my educational video collection.

Is there a way for me to tweak the router so that my connection gets priority on bandwidth usage? It's a Siemens Gigabit SE 572.

I want it so that, when I'm trying to use the connection, I'm guaranteed as much bandwidth as I need up to, say, 70-80%

Is this doable?
  2. do a google for net limiter, this can be tweaked to allocate bandwidth to programs etc.

3. BrunoNoMedals

Is that on a single PC rather than the router, though? There's no point me allocating bandwidth to individual programs on my PC when I'm only getting 20% of the bandwidth from the router in the first place. I want it divvied up across the LAN.

There are five people in the house. Currently only four of us have computers and so access the internet from our own terminals. Since I set the thing up and pay for it, I'm expecting a majority share of the bandwidth when I need it. I want to set it so that, for instance, I'm guaranteed 60% of the bandwidth, while the other four get 10% each when the connection is under maximum load.

Obviously if there's only one of us using it, we get 100%. If I'm not using it but two of my housemates are, given the prioritising they'd be guaranteed 50% each.

I hope that makes it a bit clearer. The router is supplied and branded by Orange, and came with no manual. I can't find any details on it online, either. Siemens don't seem to acknowledge its existence!
  4. msr

msr LE

Yes it is doable, but probably not an Orange branded router with no manual.

This may help:

The non tech solution would be to actually speak to her...

5. buy an external hard disk and just collect the filth off her through the usb....... :)
  6. BrunoNoMedals

To be fair she does tend to get some pretty good quality stuff. I probably should discuss sharing!

As for talking to her, well she's an ignorant bint who spends 8 hours in work and usually at least 14 hours in her room each day. When we DO see her, we'd rather not! Technical solutions are far more reliable than women.
  7. meridian

meridian LE Good Egg (charities)

Its a bit techy but you might be able to replace the firmware on your router so that it allows traffic prioritisation by type and end point IP address or MAC address (i.e the fat munter with an addiction to bird on bird *******)

You will need

A compatible router

The right software

Some instructions

A devil may care derring do attitude

All (except item 1 and 4) are here
  8. Why not browse and download together share the love and bandwidth
  9. Why not get people to use a download manager such as Flashget for Firefox. That way you can schedule downloads overnight when people aren't browsing.
  10. Good point from Garhwal. I set the download manager from 0001 to 0600 to download torrents. Because the Internet is less busy (in the UK) I found my download speeds this morning were much faster then downloading even during the evening.
    Does depend on what you are trying to download and where from