Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

prior service in new zealnd

rezMB ChB

Swinger
Hey guys,

So basically I have decided to join the new zealand reserves whilst I finish medical school here, before coming back to the UK and I hope to go reserve whilst in my registrar training and then full time. I was wondering if anyone knew if there were any issues with having prior military service with another country or anything like that, which would bar me from joining the british army? obviously dont want to **** up my end goal here.

Hey guys,

So basically I have decided to join the new zealand reserves whilst I finish medical school here, before coming back to the UK and I hope to go reserve whilst in my registrar training and then full time. I was wondering if anyone knew if there were any issues with having prior military service with another country or anything like that, which would bar me from joining the british army? obviously dont want to **** up my end goal here.
From my limited experience with the reserves, you'll be snapped up by any unit you wander into. Unless you were a Serbian or Congolese paramilitary, prior military experience, especially with a first rate Commonwealth army like NZ is seen as a plus.

Hey guys,

Unless NZ has a Taliban / ISIS Unit it would be fair to say that any NZ Military experience would be a bonus for you.

I doubt there will be a problem. There is a well established path, in both directions, of transfer / subsequent service between the UK and NZ. They operate on a different scale to the UK but are, nevertheless, highly respected for their capabilities and ethos. They are also not shy of pulling their weight on international operations.

Good to know it wont be a hinderance! thanks guys. I sign my allegiance to the queen? on thursday so this was a last minute worry.