Printers

Quite a bit of previous but looking for some more up to date knowledge.
Anyone got a recommendation for a colour laser printer for home printing? Not so much photo printing or heavy use either.

Got cheesed off with inkjets drying up and those with chips that won't let you put the cheaper ink and the price of ink more expensive than the printer itself.
Got a mono laser printer some years ago (HP M132) but now leaving dark smudges all over the page. I've taken it to bits, cleaned the roller and all the bits I can get to but hasn't improved and now putting "phantom" printing on the page, like the header will be printed very faintly in about 3 places down the page and the whole page comes out a bit grey with black spots.

It's been good and have only used 2 toners in about 5 years (what I mean about not heavy use) and I do like the copy and scan function but have a feeling it's now on its last legs.

If I do go for a colour one, I'd prefer one not too big and one that actually gives you some toner with it. Saw another HP colour laser which seemed to fit the bill but they don't provide even a small toner with it and looked good at €217 but went up to nearly €400 if I ordered the toner with it.

Not too bothered on the make but would like one with wi-fi so I can print from my desktop and my laptop fairly easily.

Any suggestions?

Same here, fed up with inkjets drying up on me. So a few months ago I got one of these:

Amazon product

Lexmark MC3224dwe, in case the Amazon link doesn't work. Wireless, so it's up in the spare room out of the way. Duplex printing and with the small amount of printing I do, I don't doubt the cartridges it came with will last me ages. Just over £220 including some starter cartridges.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Look at the cost of a printer. Look at the cost of replacement cartridges. Work out how many few cartridge replacements it'll take before you could have bought a printer with cartridges included. Don't lose sleep.

Then consider how your printer starts to need "fixing" after every Windows update and learn to live with buying new printers and genuine cartridges, and how every upgrade gives you a bit more function.

As it happens, I have a Canon Pixma. It's been telling me for years that after doing helping my granddaughter with her homework, I need to replace all the cartridges. But the readout shows the black is over half full, and currently I'm only using it to print out two sides of shopping list every four weeks, yet when I print out a refuse collection calendar every quarter, it prints out in colour quite adequately, despite telling me the colour cartridges are out.

I do have a full set of cartridges ready for the day it doesn't print.

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
We have an Epson inkjet with refillable ink tanks.
Wireless too.
SWMBO prints lots of stuff off for work and you can use non-Epson ink in the tanks if you want. Much cheaper than cartridges.

Only down side is that you have to manually turn the paper over to print double sided.

TamH70

MIA
We have an Epson inkjet with refillable ink tanks.
Wireless too.
SWMBO prints lots of stuff off for work and you can use non-Epson ink in the tanks if you want. Much cheaper than cartridges.

Only down side is that you have to manually turn the paper over to print double sided.

I like the idea of an ink-tank printer, but after what l recently dropped on monitors and cables for my man cave, l can't justify it at the moment. But definitely later.

What kind of pages per minute are you getting?

I’ve got one of the Epsom Ecotanks. It’s great and ink lasts a long time.

Admittedly it isn’t laser, but I’ve had no problems with it so far (touch wood).

endure

GCM
I've got a Canon TS6050 inkjet. I suspect there's a later similar model now.
I use it about once or twice a month. Don't have any drying out problems and a set of compatible cartridges (which use Canon bodies so they always work) is about 12 quid from Amazon.

Then, do you actually need a printer at all?

I binned my last one years ago and I've even turned down free hand-me-downs since then. Quite liberating.

Problem is, several companies (like my car insurance) no longer send me a copy but just email and expect me to print it out myself. Even my "green card" is emailed.

Here, in Spain, I'm constantly (well, every few months) asked to provide copies of things like my residence card, my passport for the bank, my padron (local civil register) and other things so the scan and copy function is used more than printing anything out. Bills, like council tax, road tax, etc require a printout with a barcode on to pay at an ATM and so on.

Then there are boarding cards at airports, QR code for vaccine certs and location info (yes, I know you can stick them on a smartphone but that's one thing I am avoiding, quite happy with my Nokia 3110).

And, of course, any household thing we buy - like the washing machine, dishwasher and others - come with instructions in Spanish so I get the handbook from the web in English and print it out for the missus.

Still, got some good ideas, thanks all, although the Epson Ecotanks seem as expensive, if not more, than a colour laser printer. But if the ink is cheaper than the colour toner and lasts a long time it will be worth considering.

endure

GCM
Then, do you actually need a printer at all?

I binned my last one years ago and I've even turned down free hand-me-downs since then. Quite liberating.
I need one enough to hang onto it.

Any of the HP envy printers, with the instant ink deal added (£1.99 a month for 50 sheets, £3.49 for 100 should be more than enough for most domestic printing. I have the 50 sheets and at that rate it’s an utter bargain, and far cheaper than having to replace cartridges - automatically sends new when you get low.

Cheapest one is about £50, but the £70 ish bracket (model no 6020) has built in scanner and a decent size internal feed tray)

Last edited:
Quite a bit of previous but looking for some more up to date knowledge.
Anyone got a recommendation for a colour laser printer for home printing? Not so much photo printing or heavy use either.

Got cheesed off with inkjets drying up and those with chips that won't let you put the cheaper ink and the price of ink more expensive than the printer itself.
Got a mono laser printer some years ago (HP M132) but now leaving dark smudges all over the page. I've taken it to bits, cleaned the roller and all the bits I can get to but hasn't improved and now putting "phantom" printing on the page, like the header will be printed very faintly in about 3 places down the page and the whole page comes out a bit grey with black spots.

It's been good and have only used 2 toners in about 5 years (what I mean about not heavy use) and I do like the copy and scan function but have a feeling it's now on its last legs.

If I do go for a colour one, I'd prefer one not too big and one that actually gives you some toner with it. Saw another HP colour laser which seemed to fit the bill but they don't provide even a small toner with it and looked good at €217 but went up to nearly €400 if I ordered the toner with it.

Not too bothered on the make but would like one with wi-fi so I can print from my desktop and my laptop fairly easily.

Any suggestions?
I can't offer recent personal experience, but my Samsung mono laser printer has been solid and reliable. I just looked on the back and it was made in 2004. As well as USB, it's got a centronics port on the back, if that means anything to you. Obviously the newer ones won't but that gives you an idea of how old it is.

I've had zero problems with it and I think it's on its third toner cartridge. I just replaced the toner cartridge less than a year ago, and they're still stocked at the local dealer. The toner cartridges that come with new printers tend to be only partially full (e.g. on third), but replacement cartridges last a lot longer.

I just print a few things a month that need to be printed as receipts or records. Recently it's been handy for printing copies of vaccination receipts.

If I were going to buy another printer then based on my experience I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Samsung. If I couldn't get one of those, then Brother would be my second choice as I understand they are very similar and also have a very good reputation.

Personally I wouldn't buy an HP consumer grade printer. They were fairly decent at one time, but when the business model changed to making all their money on ink and toner and the printer became a loss leader, then quality and reliability went down hill at warp speed. Their business grade printers are another story, but you're not likely to be buying one of those for home.

jinxy

LE
Printers for home use are a much of a muchness. You pays your money and takes your chance. They are cheap as chips for a reason, Ink.

I can't offer recent personal experience, but my Samsung mono laser printer has been solid and reliable. I just looked on the back and it was made in 2004. As well as USB, it's got a centronics port on the back, if that means anything to you. Obviously the newer ones won't but that gives you an idea of how old it is.

I've had zero problems with it and I think it's on its third toner cartridge. I just replaced the toner cartridge less than a year ago, and they're still stocked at the local dealer. The toner cartridges that come with new printers tend to be only partially full (e.g. on third), but replacement cartridges last a lot longer.

I just print a few things a month that need to be printed as receipts or records. Recently it's been handy for printing copies of vaccination receipts.

If I were going to buy another printer then based on my experience I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Samsung. If I couldn't get one of those, then Brother would be my second choice as I understand they are very similar and also have a very good reputation.

Personally I wouldn't buy an HP consumer grade printer. They were fairly decent at one time, but when the business model changed to making all their money on ink and toner and the printer became a loss leader, then quality and reliability went down hill at warp speed. Their business grade printers are another story, but you're not likely to be buying one of those for home.
Sadly Samsung printers are now owned and administered by HP....

I went for the HP Envy as above. The problem I had with my old Epson was that the inkjet nozzles were getting blocked due to lack of use. It used 5 different cartridges and there was usually one blocked every time I used it. Unblocking used more ink than I used in printing.
I read that the printers with multiple colours in one cartridge were usually ones with the nozzles in the cartridge, so if it blocks you just replace it.
I took out the "next business day replacement" warranty as 'er indoors is a pain if she can't print NOW. That was £15 for three years.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Spookily, I actually got a reply from HP about the ghosting images which I asked about nearly 2 months ago.
They sent a big list of changing the cartridge (which I did) cleaning the drum and take up roller (which I did) but the end bit said the toner can "solidify" and stick to the roller in temperatures above 30C and humidity above 80.

As we've had months of temps above 36C (one week above 40C) and humidity levels way above 80, that could be the problem.

I think a toner printer in this environment (probably OK in aircon offices) may not be the way to go.
I took the advice on getting one of those Epson eco tank inkjets instead. Quite expensive at €200 but will, hopefully, work properly here so thanks for that heads up. Arrives today from Amazon.

Grownup_Rafbrat

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Any of the HP envy printers, with the instant ink deal added (£1.99 a month for 50 sheets, £3.49 for 100 should be more than enough for most domestic printing. I have the 50 sheets and at that rate it’s an utter bargain, and far cheaper than having to replace cartridges - automatically sends new when you get low.

Cheapest one is about £50, but the £70 ish bracket (model no 6020) has built in scanner and a decent size internal feed tray)
I just bought one of those and it's ace. We don't print much, but I do expect the printer to work wirelessly from all our devices, and this one does, with no hassle. I signed up for Instant Ink and have had one delivery so far. The cartridges supplied for initial use ran out today, about six weeks after purchase.

So far, so hoopy.

Latest Threads