Printer woe

Wireless.

Try and see if any of your other devices (phones, tablets, other computers) etc can see the printer. If not, it's probably the wireless set up on the printer. If so, it's to do with the laptop.

We had a problem with the printer changing address every time the router rebooted, which is easily solved, but caused no-printy until fixed.

We had a problem with the printer changing address every time the router rebooted, which is easily solved, but caused no-printy until fixed.

The dealer I bought my Volvo from had that problem. The day I went to pick up the car, the guy had to print a receipt for me. Printer didn't work, guy totally lost his shit, went off on a rant. I static'd it for him in a few minutes.

"You mean that's it? Like a couple of minutes was all it took?"
"Yep."

Weird experience.

I find throwing a tantrum, shouting and swearing at it as well as throwing anything within reach doesn‘t work. So don’t do it.

Aaaarrrgghhhh!!!!!

The eldest wanted a letter printing out so that he could sign it, then scan it and email it.
My wireless printer didn't have the email function set up.
He emailed the letter to me and I printed it off.
Signed it and then he tried to set up the email function on the printer.
Which he has eventually successfully done so the printer can now send an email with the scan attached as a PDF.

The only slight cough problem is that whilst fahooking around setting up the email do-hicky, he deleted the printer from my laptop.
Genius.
Tried to search for the printer - nothing.
Reinstalled the driver - nothing.
The grandson is now asleep in the room where the printer is, so it's game over for tonight trying to sort out the cock up.

I wouldn't mind but when I get the printer last year, it took fecking ages to set up and, to be honest, I think I only managed to get it working by accident!

Luddite.

Now you know why most printers and all MFP's are bound for Silicon Hell.

Pretty sure the HP Laserjet III is the only printer to make it into Silicon Heaven.

Last edited:

SWJ99

War Hero
Has your computer got a 'system restore' function ?
If so, it should restore your computer to how it was prior to when it was fcuked with. As long as there's a fairly recent restor point, you could be in with a chance.

Turn printer on. Go to Settings, devices, add printer and when it selects your printer click on it and it should restore. Then give whoever fecked it a bloody good slapping! :cool:

Turn printer on. Go to Settings, devices, add printer and when it selects your printer click on it and it should restore. Then give whoever fecked it a bloody good slapping! :cool:
Yeah, but I've found that Windows will only install the printer, it won't install the scanner function. That's often a separate install that is required. I just hope he has the printer setup with a static IP.

The less said about the idiotic Microsoft WSD, the better.

Yeah, but I've found that Windows will only install the printer, it won't install the scanner function. That's often a separate install that is required. I just hope he has the printer setup with a static IP.

The less said about the idiotic Microsoft WSD, the better.
The printer should have software drivers from manufacturer website

All sorted. Turned the laptop on this morning, checked the printers list and the configuration the lad had deleted has reappeared. Sent a random file to it and it printed. Phew!

And no, I've no idea how it reappeared without me doing anything!

See , turn it off and turn it on again works from submarines to printers !

See , turn it off and turn it on again works from submarines to printers !
Did that last night, standard operating procedure No. 1.
Printer configuration renamed as LexmarkDONOTDELETE, just in case like.

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Laserjet, Kyocera. If you print in any volume at all, you want to spend around £400 on a colour one. Unlike ink, the toner in a laser jet lasts even if not used for months / years and it's really economical. I believe it's about a pence per page.

id even go so far as to say if it's only occasional printing, still go for it. You only need to have to replen the ink in an inkjet a few times before you've nearly paid for one of these.

Niamac

GCM
There should be a special hell for all associated with the design of computer printers, drivers, spoolers etc.

Laserjet, Kyocera. If you print in any volume at all, you want to spend around £400 on a colour one. Unlike ink, the toner in a laser jet lasts even if not used for months / years and it's really economical. I believe it's about a pence per page.

id even go so far as to say if it's only occasional printing, still go for it. You only need to have to replen the ink in an inkjet a few times before you've nearly paid for one of these.

Looks good, I use a Canon for my work related which is an all in one, may look into that as now I've learned anything mainlyl business related can claim as a business expense...

So I began by throwing a Fold 3 and a £4300 laptop in ;)

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Looks good, I use a Canon for my work related which is an all in one, may look into that as now I've learned anything mainlyl business related can claim as a business expense...

So I began by throwing a Fold 3 and a £4300 laptop in ;)
Yip. I do the same for my furnished holiday let. Having never yet made a profit on it, I tack on lots of business expenses. I'm trying to figure out if I can justify a £20k trailer cab like the Mitsubishi L200.

Justification: Its a long drive to Aviemore and the roads can get icy.

Hmmm.

olafthered

LE
Book Reviewer
Yip. I do the same for my furnished holiday let. Having never yet made a profit on it, I tack on lots of business expenses. I'm trying to figure out if I can justify a £20k trailer cab like the Mitsubishi L200.

Hmmm.
And you need to be able to carry supplies. And or pull guests cars out if stuck.

Hmmm.
Claim everything, especially now that I can see ltd company will be paying more corporation tax from April next year (for the NHS), I work from home and my electricity bill goes through the roof running the kit I do i.e 2 monitors and my power hungry Alienware Area 51 lappy I just got rid off, so will be discussing with the accountant what % I can shell into that which aren't fixed costs...

It's key to knowing you can claim legally and what you can't and there is an excellent YouTube channel called "Honest Money" and he speaks sound advice.

Latest Threads