Printer connected to WiFi - IT thicko needs help

Yokel

LE
At long last I have finally got around to installing my replacement printer - an HP ENVY 5032. Setting up not that much of a problem, except I cannot download and install browsers due to an old operating system. ("No, it will be fine" said the PC World person.) Anyway, it is connected to my router, as is the PC, so how do I print (say) a Word file?

Stupidly I have been e-mailed a form which I have to print out and sign, and then scan it, as they need the signature. Bah!

Robme

LE
At long last I have finally got around to installing my replacement printer - an HP ENVY 5032. Setting up not that much of a problem, except I cannot download and install browsers due to an old operating system. ("No, it will be fine" said the PC World person.) Anyway, it is connected to my router, as is the PC, so how do I print (say) a Word file?

Stupidly I have been e-mailed a form which I have to print out and sign, and then scan it, as they need the signature. Bah!
You’ve got an HP printer then? Go to HP and down load replacements. Also go on you tube and sure as eggs are eggs somebody will have posted a video which sorts you out.

anglo

LE

Have you got a print icon on your desk top ?

Yokel

LE
Cannot install drivers due to old operating system. Tried to set up a network printer, having connected it to the WiFi without any issue, but it says it cannot find it.

Meanwhile the PC recognises and identifies new hardware - as I thought I could make it work via USB.

No icons.

Probably needs the printer driver. Did it not come with a disk?
Also wireless printers like mine need an initial setup using a printer usb cable, though mine is Canon. Just google your printer and look for the driver. :cool:

Cannot install drivers due to old operating system. Tried to set up a network printer, having connected it to the WiFi without any issue, but it says it cannot find it.

Meanwhile the PC recognises and identifies new hardware - as I thought I could make it work via USB.

No icons.
What operating system are you running? You may be able to use a generic driver for the printer.

Can you connect your PC to your wireless network?

Most(if not all)new printers that have a WiFi capability have their own email address, find that and send the form to the printer via email. Doesn't solve your connection problem but it will get you the form printed.

I'm wondering what the OP means by an old OS. I'm running W7 and recently bought an HP printer which installed over the wireless network straight away. The printer is assigned it's own IP.
If he's running anything older than W7 there probably will be problems.

endure

GCM
I'm wondering what the OP means by an old OS. I'm running W7 and recently bought an HP printer which installed over the wireless network straight away. The printer is assigned it's own IP.
If he's running anything older than W7 there probably will be problems.

CP/M ;-)

Yokel

LE
Ahem - I am still using XP. Last time the PC went badly wrong I expected the repairers to write it off. The problem is that life gets in the way of replacing it.
Anyway - I wonder if uninstalling the drivers for the old (FUBAR) one might help? Somehow I doubt it.

A Google search finds HP Community and other XP users setting up and using HP Printers and getting support, so I will give them a try.

If only I could get someone else to print and scan this form for me....

Ahem - I am still using XP. Last time the PC went badly wrong I expected the repairers to write it off. The problem is that life gets in the way of replacing it.
Anyway - I wonder if uninstalling the drivers for the old (FUBAR) one might help? Somehow I doubt it.

A Google search finds HP Community and other XP users setting up and using HP Printers and getting support, so I will give them a try.

What part of the country are you? if close enough I will oblige.

Just_plain_you

War Hero

Bin it and replace with a modern PC.

If you are really down on your uppers, set the default printer to an HP Laserjet 3 and it will probably work. Or try the official driver from here: HP ENVY 5032 All-in-One Printer - Driver Downloads | HP® Customer Support

Yokel

LE
Downloaded - but it will not install. Gives an warning that it has stopped working and asks if I want to report the error. Go on then....

Will try later after rebooting PC and with no other applications running.

Why is nothing as easy as it says on the tin?

Yokel

LE
Still no dice - even after restart:

ARRSE! I really needed to print a document (for official MOD purposes), sign it, and then scan it and send it back.....Perhaps my brother can help print and scan - or maybe someone else? Unless someone has an idea to get the drivers installed?

I hate replacing things unless they are totally f***ed, but it looks like it is time to look into a new PC.Dealing with all the stuff on the hard disk, and getting used to a new operating system etc has put me off.

Just_plain_you

War Hero

ARRSE! I really needed to print a document (for official MOD purposes), sign it, and then scan it and send it back.....Perhaps my brother can help print and scan - or maybe someone else? Unless someone has an idea to get the drivers installed?

I hate replacing things unless they are totally f***ed, but it looks like it is time to look into a new PC.Dealing with all the stuff on the hard disk, and getting used to a new operating system etc has put me off.
Seriously: Bin it and buy a new one.

Go to your local library, log in to your email, print form, sign, scan, send, pay library, go home.

endure

GCM
At long last I have finally got around to installing my replacement printer - an HP ENVY 5032. Setting up not that much of a problem, except I cannot download and install browsers due to an old operating system. ("No, it will be fine" said the PC World person.) Anyway, it is connected to my router, as is the PC,
Have you tried plugging it directly into your printer using USB rather than trying to connect via wifi?

Can you email the document. If so scan it with a phone or tablet and attach it to an email.

Or send it to a friend/neighbour and ask them to print it. Check the formatting on the destination box if sending the original rather than a scan.

Tesco big stores have a photo print facility. They might do it.

Local print shop ditto.

XP might require a wired connect first. USB into printer and the house shaped plug into the PC.

Latest Threads