Principles of COIN

Discussion in 'Staff College and Staff Officers' started by giftedamateur, Mar 9, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can anybody help. I need to know the "old" (prior to the update in Oct 09)principles: I have the new ones from the docrine pam but cant get hold of the old pam. I think they are:
    Political primacy and political aim
    co-ordinated govt machinery
    Int and info
    seperate the insurgent from his support
    neutralise the insurgent
    long term post insugency planning

is anybody able o confirm this?

2. It's on the colourful table in the current AFM Vol 1 Pt 10. The table is immediately after CS 2 and is entitled 'The Evolution of Counterinsurgency Principles'

They are however, as you state them - congrats!!
  3. They are indeed the principles that we have taught at the TIC at Chicksands, however these have now been ammended to fall in line with the latest COIN doctrine.
  4. I can't help thinking that since the government/civil service/ local government can't do point 2 in the UK, what hope do we have anywhere else.
  5. MA Module C by any chance :wink:
  6. DPM

DPM Old-Salt

Took my JNCOs through the basics of COIN the other day. I'd been encouraged to work up a COIN model to help them understand and, lacking inspiration, got them to work one up instead.

Much deliberating later, they came up with a simple one liner: Don't be a c0ck!

Simple, to the point, something the lads understand, and should help keep us out of trouble (although I might find it hard to live by myself, obviously)...

7. I think the important difference between COIN and conventional warfare is that in COIN it's "Don't be a c0ck in front of the locals."
  8. msr

msr LE

"Don't be a c0ck to the locals"?
  9. "Don't be a c0ck to the locals if there are any media types about" :wink:
  10. COIN Fail
  11. DPM

DPM Old-Salt

So - we have a concensus? If ADP LAND Ops is about to be republished, I expect to see this in there as self-proclaimed best practice and an excellent example of how doctrinal 'sh!te' can be translated (by the lads in this case) into something we can all understand?

Any other examples? Perhaps draft 1 of Doctrine for the People (to be published on Audiobook for us luddites)...

12. I'd consider this a subset of "Don't be a c0ck in front of the locals". You also don't want to make yourself look a fool.