Principles of CIS

Discussion in 'Royal Signals' started by Dygbi, Oct 19, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Having read the thread on the Principles of Logistics last week it got me thinking about the Principles of CIS. Something a Senior Officer had asked me about in the past and no one seemed to know the answer.

I guess the first question is does anyone know if there is such a thing as the ‘Principles of CIS’ and if so where is it? I have looked through JSP 777 and there is loads of good stuff in there but nothing specifically ‘Principles’ titled as such.

I have also had a Google and didn’t come up with anything definitive but I have come up with a list of things that I think could be considered as ‘The Principles of CIS’:

Planning – Identify Requirements and Develop Concepts
    Preparation – Personnel Training and Equipment (PACEX)
    Project – Deployment and Implementation
    Operate – Test & Commission, Systems and Applications, Resilience
    Monitor – Engineering, Configuration Management and Control
    Information – Manage and Exploit
    Sustain and Maintain – Logistics (Inc Power, Cabling, Environmental Conditioning)
    Protect – Physical and Information

Finally ‘Interoperability’ across all Principles

So… What do you, the great and good, think. What else would you include or miss out?
  2. Maybe use existing frameworks like CADMID or ITIL which are lifecycle-based.
  3. msr

msr LE

"No comms, no Bombs" and "No data, no crater"
  4. Roger that PD, I looked through ITIL but couldn't find anything that specifically sweeps up deployability for Military requirements. I have tried to keep the principles inline with the Defence Capability Framework to sit with a common 'Defence' approach.

I do take your point ref CADMID / ITIL though.
  5. I think 'Network' Capacity (bandwidth) should be included and therefore the requirement for capturing the Capacity requirement (IER) and therefore Capacity management.

Maybe..... 8O
  6. ROBUSTNESS, SECURITY, INTEROPERABILITY, FLEXABILITY, are some of them, I believe there are 7 in total - it was a question on YofS selection interviews last year.
  7. Bin Security, take Dependability which generally includes security, reliability et al as a subset (system aint dependable if it isn't secure, but can be secure and not dependable). Possibly too broad a brush though.

You're obviously pretty good at this anyway, here's some thoughts. 'Network Capacity' seems too granular to fit with your list of principles. Should it just go in with Planning? Protect - should cover protecting the capability, don't let people just think confidentiality, but recoverability, resiliance et al.

ITIL really is a good place to start although I am certainly no guru. Since we mentioned his child check out Edwards Deming for fun and kicks.
  8. Thanks guys - good stuff.

I was thinking about the capacity point after I made the post and agree it should be a subset of Planning and Engineering Monitoring. Initial operating capability, perhaps, doesn't require as much bandwidth but you need to 'future proof' a network for the plethora of subsequent applications, particularly ISTAR, which will roll out as an operation matures.

Oh and of course the increased capacity requirements once the J2, J3/5, J4 folk realise that the MOD version of PC World is in town with ISO Containers of spare Laptops in the Logpark - I wish. :wink:

9. I also remember one of them being MOBILITY........
  10. good looking bunch!!
  11. I was working with a FofS a couple of years ago who liked to use the 7 layer model as a tool for fault finding and I found that it works for me too. More recently I applied the same method to ICS planning - in conjunction with the "plan, prepare, deploy, operate/maintain, sustain, recover" cycle and it seems to work quite well. So, for example down at layer 1 you think about provision of defence, logistics, power and infrastructure etc etc and up at layer 7 you are considering the end services and delivering value "winning the information battle" and so on (maybe even extend it to the end-user at layer 8?). OK it's a bit geeky but it works for me and I created a "questions to be asked" precis in my last job - a bit like the 7 questions but all about ICS.
  12. My question answered! How on earth did you find them - you have too much time on your hands :D
  13. PD, Yes very logical. I was looking at the 7 Layer Model and your take on it makes perfect sense.

Strangely enough I was discussing the '7 Questions' last week and how it is great for G3 stuff (which is good :p ) and is obviously is covered in JOTAC and LEOC but 'maybe' isn't too much use for communicators in our day to day role - without manipulating the questions.

I'd be interested in your "Questions to be asked" if you care to divulge.
  14. SUSTAINABILITY and im stuck for any more???