Principal of Colombia Uni tells Ahmadinejad where to get off

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by blue-sophist, Sep 24, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

It's still on-going, no linky yet, but running on Fox News live.

The Principal used the most un-diplomatic language towards the President of Iran, whose name is too difficult to type. :D :D :D

Watch this space [and Fox] for the repercussions!!

2. I almost fell out of my chair with surprise when the Principal said what he did. Quite inspiring stuff.

Am watching with interest!

3. blue-sophist

Alphabet has, possibly rightly, criticised the remarks as being contrary to the "Arab" principles of hospitality.

Perhaps he shouldn't have gone to the US ... what did he expect?
    "Hey, wonderful to have you here, have a nice day".

4. I know it's more important than the voice of the interpreter but God she has one annoying voice.Also her intonation is quite panicky , whereas he is quite calm.

5. When in Rome.

I'm relieved he hasn't uttered the phrase "from my cold hands" in regards to Iranian nuclear technology proliferation ;)

6. Well not having telly. What did he say?

7. blue-sophist

Link Click Here

USA Today is up to speed for once!!

8. Savvy politico isn't he,answering questions with questions!

9. blue-sophist

More from CNN

CNN so far ...

NEW YORK (CNN) -- Columbia University President Lee Bollinger excoriated Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad on Monday, going through a long list of documented actions and remarks by the firebrand Iranian leader and his government.

"Mr. President, you exhibit all the signs of a petty and cruel dictator," Bollinger said to applause from many of the 600 people in the room for a speech from the Iranian leader.

He cited the Iranian government's "brutal crackdown" on dissidents, public executions, executions of minors and other actions.

And Bollinger assailed Ahmadinejad's "denying" of the Holocaust as "ridiculous" and "dangerous propaganda." He called the Iranian leader either brazenly provocative "or astonishingly uneducated."

"The truth is that the Holocaust is the most documented event in human history," he said.
    He said he doubted Ahmadinejad would show the intellectual courage to answer the questions before him.

Ahmadinejad responded quickly.

"We don't think it's necessary before the speech is given to come in with some series of claims."

He said Bollinger's comments included "insults" and false claims, and flew in the face of an environment that's supposed to let people speak their minds.

Earlier Monday, in a question-and-answer video conference with the National Press Club, Ahmadinejad said the Middle East can govern itself without interference from the United States and other Western nations.

Speaking from New York to the luncheon in Washington, Ahmadinejad said Iran wanted to see "an independent powerful Iraq ... which will benefit the entire region."
    "We are two nations interconnected," he said of Iran and Iraq. "We are brothers and friends."
    But he said the region could didn't need U.S. help.
    "We oppose the way the U.S. government tries to manage the world. ... We propose more humane methods of establishing peace," he said during a question and answer session with the press club.
    He also said all the world's religions have the same common ground, "justice and friendship."
    The views of all religions must be respected and "we must all move hand in hand," Ahmadinejad said.
    Earlier in an interview with The Associated Press, Ahmadinejad said he didn't think the United States was preparing for war against Iran.
    "I believe that some of the talk in this regard arises first of all from anger. Secondly, it serves the electoral purposes domestically in this country. Third, it serves as a cover for policy failures over Iraq," he told the AP.
    The Iranian president said his country would not attack Israel.
    "Iran will not attack any country," the AP quoted Ahmadinejad as saying.

10. He's politician and therefore waffles like one..... :D

Unlike the principal who is a idiot! Sounds like the yanks are beginning to believe their own propaganda!

Quite embarassing for the yanks really.

11. Heck, I learned just from watching "Yes, Prime Minister" how to deal with questions. Answering with a question was only one of the several ways PM Hacker suggested as techniques to Bernard.

It's amusing watching a US Presidential 'Debate.' I could have Hacker's list in front of me, and check off every one of them as the proceedings progressed.

NTM

12. blue-sophist

Hands up all those who expected Dinner-jacket to say anything meaningful?

Oh, OK :roll:

Sadly I missed the first part of the Principal's comments ... no doubt the webby-thing and that papery-stuff will have it all tomorrow :D

13. Sounds like apparently the guys anger got the best of him. He's an educator, not a politician so may actually speak his mind I guess.

I agree that I don't think he grasped the depth of the impact of his questions on the world stage, but then again, it's New York and he may very well have understood and simply not given a crap.

If it were me, I would have played it soft. Nothing like some choice Iranian editing for full propaganda benefit.

14. Headline like "The evil has landed" in the local rags doesn't help either - no wonder they call the yanks 'The great satan'

Still not as good as the Sun's attempt at diplomacy during the Falklands.

Gotcha! 8O

15. blue-sophist

It may not have done a lot for US/Iranian relations, but it's nice to hear someone actually saying what they believe [I assume] :D

A bit of undiplomatic language may not take relationships to a higher level, but Dinner-Jacket cannot be a complete idiot not to notice the points made.

I do however wonder why the Colombia venue was chosen if the Principal was so venemously anti ... or did the State Dept play it that way? 8)