PRINCE2 or PMP??

Discussion in 'Education and Resettlement Courses' started by ex-scaley212, Nov 4, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Okay, well I am looking at getting my Project Management certification done, and as far as I can see it, the two options are PRINCE2 or PMP.

I've been contracting overseas for the last 4 years, and would like to either continue with this a little longer, or alternatively get a more regular job but still outside of the UK.

Does anybody know if either of these two quals carried any more weight internationally? And in the US particularly?

2. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

PMP will take a considerable amount of effort, and will need substantial quals and/or several years of experience to back it up before you get a cert.
    Prince2 you can get in a week...its just a methodology, nothing about the practicalities or techniques needed to be a PM.
    PMP is well recognised in the US, Prince2 - I would be surprised if anyone had heard of it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. From what I've seen, PMP does seem to be a more heavyweight qual. Just the coursework alone that I have seen is this enormous weapon of a book, and on the other hand I've heard of friends of friends who have pretty much turned up for their Prince2 and got their ticket after a week. Not an attendance course by any means, but definitely a lot more achievable in the short term.

Thanks, Alsacien, that tends to corroborate what I have already heard.

4. i have prince2 practitioner, done in 5 days. I would say it's not a turn up job, prince2 foundation is multiguess and pretty much common sense therefore fairly easy, practitioner is 9 questions in 2.5 hours and quite nails as you can spend 40 mins on a question and if you get the last bit wrong its nil point! I just finished the last question with 5 mins to spare.
    My mate lives in the states (ex REME reg RS reserve) went from cisco engineer into PM for cisco he had a degree but did the PMP as stated above it's the de rigour over there, he's on pop star wages and his coursework was a lot more than the book you get for prince2. Think he also had to prove experience in PM before starting the course.
    Ironically the job that i needed the Prince2 for didn't happen and i've never used it since!!

5. Encouraging stuff, cheers chaps.

Can I ask if you had any experience or did any prep for the course beforehand. Everybody I have spoken to makes it sound like they just went into the course from whatever techy background they had, and although it required a bit of application on the course itself, it didn't sound like they had done much swotting beforehand.

6. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

I've sent some bods on ESI courses (in some cases quite a few) in the UK which always get a good rep. See where your knowledge gaps are and plug accordingly before applying for a cert.

7. Judging by your username, I'm assuming you're talking telecoms, therefore PRINCE2 was (in my opinion) a flash in the pan sought after qualification a few years ago. PMI/PMP is now the recognised industry standard.
    I passed PRINCE2 about 5 or 6 years ago, sponsored by my company. The pass rate at that time was about 50%. I've since done a PMP preparation course, but due to lack of enthusiasm on my part, never got round to the exam - I wish I had. I'm now going through the prep again - another week or two in Helsinki won't do any harm!
    In short - PMP is undoubtedly the qualification you should aim for. (IMHO).

8. I recently done both the PRINCE2 and APMP courses. The training for the courses each lasted 5 days but with the APMP, I had to return a couple of days later to sit the exam. Like the others above have said the APMP does carry more weight and is costly to join as a member but at least you become a member of a recognised Project Management organisation. The PRINCE2 anybody can go out and pick up the PRINCE2 books, follow the instructions and claim to be PRINCE2 trained as long as they do follow those instructions. The APMP is a lot easier to understand jargon wise but is still harder to pass.

9. APMP & PMP are different (APM & PMI respectively).

10. Prince2 is becoming more recognised outside of the UK.

11. I have been a PRINCE 2 Practitioner for 7 years and PMP for 3. I also have an MBA majoring in project management. I count myself as a professional Project Manager and have been in and around projects and programs for 15 years or so.

As others have said, PRINCE2 is a methodology; a system for managing projects. A Practitioner is trained to understand and apply the PRINCE 2 system, not to be a Project Manager. There is no commercial content in PRINCE2; it gives you no knowledge about procurement, value management, very little about risk etc etc. All you learn is how to use the PRINCE2 Manual and you learn it in a week in the classroom. No pre-qualification needed and no post certification support.

PMP involves genuine study of the discipline of Project Management. PMI has a vast library of project management knowledge, which you cover in outline using the Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge (on which the exam is based). You do not need to do a course; I studied for about 6 weeks around work to get mine. You do, however, need to be a practicing Project Manager to sit the exam; they verify your experience. You can then use the library of information as you need it to support you business activities. They also have local chapters.

As far as recognition is concerned, PRINCE 2 is a globally used system, certainly in English speaking countries. It is commonly used in US PM businesses and by US government departments, not least because it has few competitors as an off-the-shelf project management system. PMP is globally recognised and there are professional bodies with PMBOK based certifications is most countries. My personal recommendation would be to go down the PMI route rather than a national association, but then I work globally.

Overall, if you want a serious career in Project Management and you are starting from scratch, I would say do PRINCE2, get some experience under your belt and then do PMP when you meet the entry requirements.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Does anybody have any up to date recommendations for a good Prince2 zero-to-hero course in the UK please?

Many thanks.

13. Hmmmmmm - my 10c:

I started as an engineering PM, moved into IT (working in financial reporting and business intelligence, then moved into managing international aid and financial development projects.

I have a diploma in PM and a good MBA, but don't have PMI or PRINCE2, and I have never been short of work.

Both PMI and PRINCE2 are management methodologies - join the dots and report on your projects. Neither tell you how to actually manage the delivery.

I have a standing joke that if the office catches fire, the PMIs and PRINCE2 guys will say "make sure its on the risk register, enter it on the issues log and escalate it to the Steering committee"....

The Standish reports still say that despite all of these methodologies and accreditations, 86% of projects are considered to have failed - in other words no one puts the fire out, but just updates the issues log.

But the real reason why I dislike both of them is this: When I first looked at PMI they did a multiple choice 200 question no pass no fee course. PRINCE2 is still not far from that level.

I still meet lots of guys with PMI on their business card who are, to be honest, absolutely hopeless managers.