Prince2 course

Discussion in 'Education and Resettlement Courses' started by Bigcsm22, Jul 29, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. With my current emigration plans on hold I'm looking at completing a project management course. I'm currently an electrical/gas/air con engineer and looking at moving on to management

Are there any prince 2 practitioners or project managers on her that would offer any advice on courses etc.

Your help is much appreciated guys.

Bigcsm

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

2. You may wish to look at APMP. Prince 2 is one way of doing Project Management. APMP is more general in that it teaches Project Management principles (rather than one specific method). That said - if you are looking at certain jobs, P2 may be specified.

3. PRINCE2 and APMP would complement each other.

You can study on the DLP for free...minus exam.

Don't get wrapped up with the companies that allow ELCs, Google for far better deals! Notice that most ELC courses are close to your 2k threshold?

I've seen an American company offer Lean Six Sigma, long distance for £300...not the £1500 some ELC sponsored courses charge!

4. Not really. As Rikki says, PRINCE 2 is a methodology. Passing the P2 exam means you are qualified to practice PRINCE2, nothing else. APMP covers the same ground as PRINCE; although the methodologies are different, they are still a Project Management systems. Plus there is a whole load of wider management knowledge covered. If you have APMP, PRINCE2 adds little unless your job specifically required it.

The other issue is education and training prior to certification. APMP, or any of the other global bodies which use the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK), require auditable project management experience and education before acceptance for the exams. You can walk in off the street with no Project Management experience, take a course and walk out a PRINCE 2 practitioner. You cannot do that with APMP, although PRINCE 2 Practitioner is an acceptable education course for entry into the APMP program. You still need the actual experience though.

The OP wants to move into management. My suggestion would be PRINCE2 practitioner complimented by a more general management qualification, such as a Diploma in Management from the OU or his local business school. Follow it up with APMP once he has enough experience to enter the program and once he is happy with a career in Project Management.

5. I would look at http://www.spoce.com/. This comes in about £1000 cheaper (prince2, MSP & APMP) than the course package offered by education centres/ELCAS sponsored. You can use ELCs towards this course provider.

6. I know this thread has been up for a while but for anyone who is reading it I would recommend APMP. Its a lifetime qual. PRINCE 2 is a requal every 5 year.

7. Bowmore_Assassin

Bowmore_Assassin LE Moderator Book Reviewer

PRINCE2 Foundation is a lifetime qual. PRINCE2 Practitioner is always valid but you have to retake a Practitioner test every 3 to 5 years to be registered and to be able to call yourself a Registered PRINCE2 Practitioner.

A large number of contracts in the UK Require you to have P2, APMP is growing... Doing both won't do you any harm, alongside Change Management, Risk Management and MSP quals.