Prince Williams Blue Sash

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Forastero, Jan 6, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

Out of idle curiosity, does anyone know what the blue sash represents exactly?

Quite like the portrait mind.
  2. Er."William sports his blue sash and star of the Order of the Garter".
  3. I'll check but I think Order of the Garter.
  4. Not likely to be Orderly Officer is it?
  5. Ah, yes, as EmsMaShoes says, it's stated in the caption under the image. And I was right. No prize though.

Royal Knight Companion of the Most Noble Order of the Garter (KG). As an interesting aside, Prince Willian was the 1000th individual to be appointed to the order.

Wiki link:

..and quote (ibid):

The star, which is worn pinned to the left breast, was introduced in the 17th century by King Charles I and is a colourfully enamelled depiction of the heraldic shield of St George's Cross, encircled by the Garter, which is itself encircled by an eight-point silver badge. Each point is depicted as a cluster of rays, with the four points of the cardinal directions longer than the intermediate ones. The stars of Stranger Knights and Ladies were once set with several jewels. Since the Order of the Garter is the senior order of the United Kingdom, a member will wear its star above the others (up to three) that he or she holds.[23]
    The riband is a four inch (10.16 cm)-wide sash worn over the left shoulder, or pinned beneath it, to the right hip, and was introduced in the 17th century by King Charles I. The riband's colour has varied over the years: it was originally light blue, but was a dark shade under the Hanoverian monarchs. In 1950, the colour was fixed as "kingfisher blue". A member will wear only one riband, even if he or she belongs to several orders.[23]
  6. Out of interest would the sash be handed down from father to son or would a new one be made to measure :roll:
  7. wah
  8. Probably made to measure. But in the recent economic climate... Who knows!
  9. What an outrage, how come they have both got the QGJM, neither of them are old enough to meet the qualifying criteria :x
  10. Not a wah more to do with a song sung in Scotland, by loyal fans of QEII
  11. Present off mummy, like the garters.

Edited once to say GRANNY you thick c*nt!!!! :oops:
  12. Granny more like. :wink:
  13. He He He
  14. But they still might have mummy's garters on though. I know, stop digging.