Prince William to extend his service?

I reckon it makes so much good sense. There are already plenty of royals doing royal duties and after all his training it would make better value for him to remain working as a pilot. Besides, once he leaves the role he's hardly likely to ever return to it. So he should make the most of the opportunity while he has it.

Well done, 10 points for the most pedantic post of the day.
And 10 out of 10 for the most bone, boring and pointless post of the day. Fact is, he has decided to continue his service when it's generally expected that he would withdraw to carry out royal duties.

If he carries on in the SAR role then, not only will he continue to contribute to the public purse, he will help out a great many hill-walkers, climbers, etc, by conducting some of the most demanding flying possible. He (and his brother) have earned their positions by merit. If anyone has evidence otherwise, speak-up now.

It's the ridiculous "turbo charged" rate of promotion that makes me laugh! :)
Sorry, care to explain? Harry is a captain in the AAC, William is a Flt Lt in the RAF, neither have been promoted 'ahead of the curve'. What is this 'turbo charged' rate of promotion?

Lost me nether royals seem to be getting promoted faster than any other officers.
Some of their relatives are.

I know of one who failed the promotion board for Commander (= Lt Col) and was a Rear Admiral (= Major General) last time I looked. He's also very fond of wearing the green beret that he "won" by passing the AACC in very dubious circumstances.

I know of another who was given command of a warship despite command being clearly beyond his abilities. An experienced Captain had to be appointed as his XO.

And yet another Royal who was first in his class in training but, on joining his ship, had to be "relieved of his duties" for intensive retraining because he just couldn't manage the job.

None of this applies to either of the two princes currently serving, but in the past the treatment of serving Royals has been grossly unfair. Unfair to the service that had to deal with VIP junior officers. Unfair to their subordinates who often had to carry them (sometimes literally) and, most of all, unfair to the Royals themselves who were dropped into jobs that they couldn't do and that many of them didn't want simply because military service was the expected thing to do.

If somebody told a Royal Marines recruiter that they really wanted to work in theatre but had to become a RM officer because their dad expected it, do you think he'd get out of the recruiting office with an application form?

It's the ridiculous "turbo charged" rate of promotion that makes me laugh! :)
or are you perhaps confusing the substantive ranks held by members of the royal family who have served, or as in the case HRH princes William and Harry are still serving , and the various Royal colenolcys and honorary appointments held by members of the royal family.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Some of their relatives are.

I know of one who failed the promotion board for Commander (= Lt Col) and was a Rear Admiral (= Major General) last time I looked. He's also very fond of wearing the green beret that he "won" by passing the AACC in very dubious circumstances.

I know of another who was given command of a warship despite command being clearly beyond his abilities. An experienced Captain had to be appointed as his XO.

And yet another Royal who was first in his class in training but, on joining his ship, had to be "relieved of his duties" for intensive retraining because he just couldn't manage the job.

None of this applies to either of the two princes currently serving, but in the past the treatment of serving Royals has been grossly unfair. Unfair to the service that had to deal with VIP junior officers. Unfair to their subordinates who often had to carry them (sometimes literally) and, most of all, unfair to the Royals themselves who were dropped into jobs that they couldn't do and that many of them didn't want simply because military service was the expected thing to do.

If somebody told a Royal Marines recruiter that they really wanted to work in theatre but had to become a RM officer because their dad expected it, do you think he'd get out of the recruiting office with an application form?
Ring any bells ?

[video=youtube_share;g3YiPC91QUk]http://youtu.be/g3YiPC91QUk[/video]

You're kidding. The Marines would be all over themselves to get somebody like that in .. probably tick all of their "diversity" boxes for the coming year.