Prince William Barracks, Gratham.

Discussion in 'RLC' started by fltpilot, Feb 18, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Off on a course up their shortly & just wanted to know what the barracks are like?
    Whats the place like?
    Do they do Pay-As-You-Dine?
    Any good shops on camp?
    Any good pubs near by or any to avoid?
    Any good B&B's near by?

2. Yes
    No
    No & Yes
    No

3. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Transit camp. It's OK.
    PAYD. Yes.
    There's a shop SPAR/ NAAFI.
    Grantham. It's fun and you'll be treated like a millionaire if you've got a fiver in your pocket.
    It's got a good gym.
    Cookhouse is not too bad.

4. My last quarter was there.

Dump.

A couple of decent Indian takeaways is just about all Grantham has going for it.

5. Don't forget the all the traffic lights and static traffic. Feckin town is a nightmare when the school run is on or the A1 is closed anywhere within 100 miles. The Nepalese restaurant near the Post Office is very good as is the Chinky on Avenue Road. Avoid any of the pubs that begin with 'Blue'. The camp was OK when it was owned by Crabair, never been back but my next door neighbour works there and seems reasonably happy with the place. If you're looking for a business opportunity there are plenty of empty shops. Otherwise, it is as the_guru so succinctly puts it.

6. Some good running routes especially if you like hill work!

7. Cold harbour lane is a good starter!!

8. Overall impressions good (from '94). Cook house was good as was the accommodation. The local night life was interesting as I'd never seen locals with webbed feet before. Plenty to do if all you want to do is get pissed and eat curry. I was only passing through as my RCWO was there to instruct and I went along for the ride and do the donkey work when required. For a TA camp I thought the set up was pretty dam good as far as my memory goes.

9. cheers for the views & comments.

10. What an excellent strategic location for a RLC camp, adjacent to a MSR. The civilian camp planning wallahs at MOD must have had a flash of inspiration the day they thought of that one.

11. Sixty

It's miles away from anything. Enlighten me please regarding why it's badly located? (on top of a hill was probably quite handy for a fighter base)

12. It is very close to the A1. The point I was trying to make is that the MOD committees dont usually get things right, but in this case they have done well.

13. Sixty

The RFC / RAF fighters were there long before the A1 was even vaguely a popular route. I'd have to agree though that it's beautifully placed.

• Like Like x 1
  14. it is feckin cold there, due to the relative height and openness which made it an ideal airbase.
    Taxi driver told me it was great when he was a young 'un, as it was home to only 500 WAAFs and they were fighting to buy the blokes a drink downtown of a weekend, but now the 'bloody army' has displaced them all with pimpled youths and ruined a good thing!

15. Sixty

It does have its own strange climate. I'm Scottish and still froze my balls off there with nary a mountain in sight.

• Like Like x 1