Prince Philip death announced

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
Unless most of the Victorian Army was left handed, or they wore their medals on the right I suspect most of that film is back to front!

They were all walking backwards? (For Christmas? )

I am surprised they didn't take the casket by train to London.
They did.
She died at Osborne on the Island and the coffin was brought ashore in Pompey and travelled by train to Waterloo.
There was then the procession to Paddington, from whence it was taken by train to Windsor Central station, where the bother with the RHA gun team happened.

It's all about perspective. Lets have a wee trip down memory lane to square bashing days.
Quck march was easy for most of us. Knee was flexed with a normal stride, heel was the first part of the foot to make contact with the ground.
Slow march, completely different. As I remember it, but it was nearly sixty years ago, so I may be a wee bit out.
"The leading leg is straight, (ie no bent knee,) and toe pointed. The sole of the foot is gliding forward, just above and parallel to the ground. The first part of the foot to make contact with the ground should be the sole."
That's how I remember it anyway. Remember too, our feet were clad in boots ammo/dms whilst keeping our balance during this manoeuvre. Compare that to what the Piper was wearing. Hopefully I've managed to insert a photo of his shoe. Now imagine the difference to slow marching with that at the end of your foot as opposed to a clubby boot. We were used to seeing the slow march whilst wearing boots, not a lightweight 'glove' in comparison.

ETA Don't know how a managed to put the photo where I did, but decided to quit while I was ahead. ;)

One thing you see at piping competitions (particularly in the piobaireachd events) is the piper kind of ducking down at the knees as they stroll about. I think that this is to help keep the timings during these unaccompanied pieces. Piobaireachd are essentially slow tunes (albeit the fingering can get pretty frantic at the end - a bit like the old Saturday night hops, eh boys?), so foot tapping doesn't work in the same way as it does for faster tunes.

I don't think that's what the piper was doing. In fact, I can't say I noticed anything particularly strange about his slow marching. If his brogues were studded, I daresay that might have encouraged a little cautious mincing on the stone flag floor of the chapel.

They did.
She died at Osborne on the Island and the coffin was brought ashore in Pompey and travelled by train to Waterloo.
There was then the procession to Paddington, from whence it was taken by train to Windsor Central station, where the bother with the RHA gun team happened.
I made a play on the word 'Cowes' and exploited the poor sentence structure.

One thing you see at piping competitions (particularly in the piobaireachd events) is the piper kind of ducking down at the knees as they stroll about. I think that this is to help keep the timings during these unaccompanied pieces. Piobaireachd are essentially slow tunes (albeit the fingering can get pretty frantic at the end - a bit like the old Saturday night hops, eh boys?), so foot tapping doesn't work in the same way as it does for faster tunes.

I don't think that's what the piper was doing. In fact, I can't say I noticed anything particularly strange about his slow marching. If his brogues were studded, I daresay that might have encouraged a little cautious mincing on the stone flag floor of the chapel.
Well, I can immediately see one benefit to England from Scottish Independence.

Well, I can see one immediate benefit to England from Scottish Independence.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
So you condone his views and behavior of killing wild animals and his wish to wipe out most of humanity? You need locking up because you're a danger to the pubic.
Are you the troll that lives under a bridge? Or an Internet troll judging past events by current standards? How do you feel about transportation as a punishment for poaching? The transportation into Caribbean slavery of the (white) soldiers captured after the Monmouth rebellion who weren't hanged?

Are you a jealous troll, who looks at the flaws in humanity rather than the good?
In any case you join the elite band of arrsers on my ignore list.

Until the Great Big Billy Goat Gruff gets up.

W21A

LE
Book Reviewer
Elephants and all big cats are very pleased that Philip is no longer around to murder them.
As the DoE admitted on an interview, it was the ridiculousness of the situation he found himself in, at the guest of the Indian government, that made him decide to move into conservation.

The 'second coffin' is actually the Pall
The meaning of pall ( I had to look it up ) is 'a cloth spread over a coffin, hearse, or tomb'
It seems it's where the term Pall-bearers and 'casting a pall over...' came from/
In QV's case I suspect it was used as a removable base for all the regalia
Now you've made me look up "Pall Mall" but it wasn't what I expected:

"The street's name is derived from 'pall-mall', a ball game played there during the 17th century. The area was built up during the reign of Charles II with fashionable London residences. It became known for high-class shopping in the 18th century, and gentlemen's clubs in the 19th."

W21A

LE
Book Reviewer
“In the event that I am reincarnated, I would like to return as a deadly virus, in order to contribute something to solve overpopulation.” HRH Prince Philip
A recognition that human overpopulation is the biggest threat to life on this planet.

As the DoE admitted on an interview, it was the ridiculousness of the situation he found himself in, at the guest of the Indian government, that made him decide to move into conservation.
He also said in an interview that the tiger was injured and would have had to be put down by shooting, anyway .

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
Elephants and all big cats are very pleased that Philip is no longer around to murder them.

The main problem with the internet is the fact that five year olds also get their say (until their mother catches them running up a bill).

Latest Threads