Prince Philip death announced

Yokel

LE
Congratulations to all on parade today, a magnificent display of professionalism polished to within an inch.
Shed a small tear as HMQ alighted her Bentley, looked so sad and so alone. Bless her.
The service, as well as the coverage, dignified and respectful as clearly he wanted.
A sad but magnanimous day. RIP sir, duty done.

Likewise - seeing her Her Majesty get out of the the car and pause, as if looking around for her beloved husband, and then sitting alone. I felt that wetness behind the eyes...

Was it Royal protocol or COVID restrictions that prevented her from being accompanied? It was not the music, drill, prayers (I think The Lord's Payer does not work when sung), or readings that moved me, it was the sight of HM by herself.

Last edited:
Welby also appeared to come down on the side of California, following that abomination of an interview.
The man is a tedious, woke left winger and his selection for the top job in the Anglican Church was a disaster. He seems to be doing his best to destroy any remaining vestiges of Church of England relevance.
I thought (fwiw) Welby lacked conviction. The Dean seemed warm and quietly and tactfully distressed.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
As smart as the Royal Marine pallbearers were, I can’t help but think it would’ve been more fitting if the Landy driver just engaged low box and drove up the steps.

It’s what the Duke would’ve wanted.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
Because he is the religious head of the Church of England. And because HMTQ asked him to be there, as the head of the Church of England?

I could understand it if HM The Queen had actually requested his attendance. However he is head of the C of E and St George's chapel is not C of E.

lextalionis

Old-Salt
I could understand it if HM The Queen had actually requested his attendance. However he is head of the C of E and St George's chapel is not C of E.
It is Church of England, but it comes directly under royal authority! All the CofE is under royal authority, but it is delegated (except for royal peculiars) to Anglican bishops and clergy.

lextalionis

Old-Salt
Apparently St George's chapel is not part of the Archbishop's train set, it is overseen by a Reverend from Windsor itself... maybe he was not feeling at home!
IIRC, Welby was not carrying a crozier - one of the principal signs of jurisdiction. He did wear a mitre, but it seemed silly in a place where the Dean (under the Queen) has authority. He seems to have insisted on reading the Gospel, various prayers and giving the blessing. Yet he didn't ensure that the readings and the blessing he gave were in the same traditional language as the rest of the service.

"Look at me! I'm Justin!"

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
It is Church of England, but it comes directly under royal authority! All the CofE is under royal authority, but it is delegated (except for royal peculiars) to Anglican bishops and clergy.

Sorry but that was what I meant in that it comes directly under royal authority.

Nice to see the Royal Marines and RAF Regiment on parade. Didn’t see any Paras mind - have they been demoted from the Big 3?
Could it be that only Royal regiments / units were invited to attend?

Nice to see the Royal Marines and RAF Regiment on parade. Didn’t see any Paras mind - have they been demoted from the Big 3?

You’ve answered your own question. The real 2 Para were there.

On a lighter side, junior daughter said she was watching with her two young boys and was explaining to her youngest (5 years old) that the Queen's husband had died, it was his funeral when he is laid to rest and was in the box - called a coffin - that was being carried by the soldiers. Youngest, in all innocence, asked "Do they let him out afterwards?" Kids!! Don't you just love them?

I read an interview with one of Churchill’s pallbearers recently. He said no one had told them the coffin was lead lined until afterwards.

They’d rehearsed with an empty box and were in no way prepared for the weight of the real thing.
While I hesitate to question someone actually involved, especially as the account is repeated in the link (below),
I have my doubts about that on a couple of grounds;
(i) It was common knowledge at the time that Churchill's coffin was to be lead-lined, and the Guards are very good at what they do so I would have expected them to 'get it right', and not slip up on a matter like that.

(ii) It was reported that the pall bearers practiced using not a box but one of those double-fronted steel personal kit lockers which were very heavy in themselves, plus weights to top it up.

My feeling is that a little folk-lore may have crept in , perhaps to justify the problems handling the coffin on the steps
Link : We nearly dropped Churchill's coffin

lextalionis

Old-Salt
While I hesitate to question someone actually involved, especially as the account is repeated in the link (below),
I have my doubts about that on a couple of grounds;
(i) It was common knowledge at the time that Churchill's coffin was to be lead-lined, and the Guards are very good at what they do so I would have expected them to 'get it right', and not slip up on a matter like that.

(ii) It was reported that the pall bearers practiced using not a box but one of those double-fronted steel personal kit lockers which were very heavy in themselves, plus weights to top it up.

My feeling is that a little folk-lore may have crept in , perhaps to justify the problems handling the coffin on the steps
Link : We nearly dropped Churchill's coffin
It could have been far worse - part of me wondered if he was going to be wheeled in like they do so often nowadays.

On another note, it seems cruel and bizarre that there can be hundreds of military personnel without breaking the law, but that the Queen - a 94 year old widow - had to sit on her own in the face of the entire world.

CrabfatBILL said:
Question.. R. M. Buglers, why did the number one have a shuffti, left and right.?

He's the bod who sort of replaces a conductor. At the left, stand by to end that particular phrase. To the right ends the phrase. Makes it look a little odd but tahts bootie musicians for you. Still did a good job. :cool:

Ex_crab

Old-Salt
I am old enough, and daft enough, to have been taken to see The Old Queen Mary's funeral, George VI's funeral and spent the night on The Mall to see The Coronation. Paraded, as a gutter rat, on Churchill's funeral and went down to see The Queen Mother's funeral but I thought today was magnificent. There were so many things that got me blubbing. Marching down the hill in Jack boots, the massed Corps of Drums and the RM bearer party were all superb. As others have said, how The Queen managed it, I don't know. I didn't take too much notice of the religious bits but the piper, the State Trumpeters and the RM buglers were spot on, not a bum note between them.
It was not an occasion I wanted to happen but when it did we were bloody good at it.

It could have been far worse - part of me wondered if he was going to be wheeled in like they do so often nowadays.

On another note, it seems cruel and bizarre that there can be hundreds of military personnel without breaking the law, but that the Queen - a 94 year old widow - had to sit on her own in the face of the entire world.
I came to realise that procedure and ceremony can be a blessing at such times, whatever one's beliefs or outlook. That support which it imbues serves the day. There is always tomorrow.