Prince Philip,a god?

South Sea tribe prepares birthday feast for their favourite god, Prince Philip
Daily TelegraphLink
At the base of a banyan tree, an elderly village chief held his most prized possession between bony fingers. "Philip sent this to us," he said. "Now we have three of them."

A signed portrait of Prince Philip is an incongruous sight in a South Pacific jungle, but for the people of this remote village, in the island state of Vanuatu, the picture is an integral part of their lives.

As unlikely as it sounds, the people of Yaohnanen and surrounding villages worship 85-year-old Prince Philip as a god.

They believe him to be the son of an ancient spirit who inhabits a nearby mountain, on the island of Tanna.

Despite worshipping the prince for half a century, the villagers — all of whom are illiterate — only learnt recently that his birthday falls on June 10.

Ambitious plans are now underway to celebrate the occasion this year. There will be dancing and a feast. Chief Jack Naiva has acquired an immaculate Union flag, which will be run up a flagpole and saluted.

But the celebrations will only really be complete if Prince Philip himself turns up, say the tribes people.

"You must tell King Philip that I'm getting old and I want him to come and visit me before I die," said the white-haired chief, who thinks he is about 80. "If he can't come perhaps he could send us something: a Land Rover, bags of rice or a little money."

Determining exactly how these people came to believe in the prince's divinity is very difficult. It appears that at some point in the 1950s, they melded Christian beliefs in a returning messiah with the respect accorded His Royal Highness by the British authorities in what was then the colony of New Hebrides.

Is this the same island who last week were worshipping WWII US GIs as Gods? Someone really ought to tell them to make up their bloody minds. Phil the Greek hates competition.

No different Island - there is another one that worships Cherie Blair

I have an idea. Find an island out there that is in the market for a "God". The next winner of "I'm a celebrity, get me out of here" is made a deity as a prize.

Hopefully this would persuade even the biggest egos in Showbiz to take part. I dare say we might even be able arrange for some of the most deviant of Arrsers to take the place of Tefal-Head and his pet midget and come up with a few "tasks for them".

crabtastic said:
I dare say we might even be able arrange for some of the most deviant of Arrsers to take the place of Tefal-Head and his pet midget and come up with a few "tasks for them".
I'd like to volunteer as a Host :thumright:

Maybe Myself, MDN and Bernoulli?

codbutt said:
I wonder if they'd swap my Gold Duke of Edinburgh's Award Badge for a shrunken head or a nice spear?
Now there's a thought! Did you find him rather God like when you got your award? I did!

I bet I could live like a king in Vananutu just by showing my Gold Award badge! :lol:

EX_STAB said:
Now there's a thought! Did you find him rather God like when you got your award? I did!
It's not just mud hut dwellers. I too worship Phil the Greek as a God. Consider the supernatural wisdom he demonstrated while awarding Duke of Edinburgh Awards in Papua New Guinea in the company of the country's Prime Minister.

Greek Phil: I hear you hiked through the jungle to win this award.

Award Recipient: Yes Sir.

Greek Phil: So you managed to avoid being eaten did you?

Prime Minister (outraged): There has been no cannibalism in my country since the 1960s.

Greek Phil: Err, erm, actually I was referring to the mosquitoes in the jungle.

What a man. If anybody is interested in converting to our religion, you might want to have a browse through our Holy Book (Amazon Link)

EX_STAB said:
codbutt said:
I wonder if they'd swap my Gold Duke of Edinburgh's Award Badge for a shrunken head or a nice spear?

I bet I could live like a king in Vananutu just by showing my Gold Award badge! :lol:
Definitely... this man talks more sense than bliar and his fatherless cronies put together :salut:

armchair_jihad said:
No different Island - there is another one that worships Cherie Blair
Yes, its called Islington...

My personal favourite was when he was visiting a school.......starting speaking to a fat kiddy.....

FK: Hello Sir

Phil: What do you want to be when you grow up?

FK: An astronaut sir!

Phil: You'll have to lose a bit of weight then won't you!?

FK: :crying: