Prince Harry: Frontline Afghanistan

Discussion in 'Afghanistan' started by singha61, Jan 28, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BBC 3 Television tonight 21:00

A one-off documentary following Prince Harry into action during his second tour of Afghanistan. It sees Harry up close as an attack helicopter co-pilot and features revealing interviews. Presented by Richard Bacon.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01ql1f

Richard Bacon is going to talk about it on his BBC radio 5 Live show this afternoon

Don't have Sky here in Germany will check online tomorrow

2. Signallers

Signallers Book Reviewer

This look's brilliant, even though it's slightly one sided considering all the special treatment he must get, only being there for 4 months but aside from that he is considered one of the best Apache Pilots operating at the moment

3. TheresaMay

TheresaMay LE Moderator DirtyBAT

That's the same as all the pilots do - 4 month tours.

And he's a Co-pilot gunner (CPG for short). But yes, one of the best apparently.

• Like Like x 1
  4. I am just going to switch my who gives a **** meter on.

• Like Like x 1
  5. I plan on watching this. I saw a couple of short progs last week (23 minutes each) about Prince Harry and although similar; there was a bit of bias in how his answer to "that" question was shown. I'm sure "that" question will be shown again today and so I want to see how it's shown this time. Besides, programs about William or HM Grandmother are often being shown where as Harry doesn't get so much TV time. At least that's how I see it.

The question in question (no pun intended - or achieved) was, Did he kill anyone? Well I would rather he just said that he couldn't confirm or deny if he killed anyone. Perhaps he should have been briefed beforehand.

Later I'll probably put it onto DVD for prosperity along with the Life After War: Haunted by Helmand prog from last week.

6. DieHard

DieHard LE Book Reviewer

is ross kemp in it?

... .... .. -

7. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

I saw the MOD weren't impressed and said he should show some gratitude after he said he would rather be on the ground with his old regt,

• Like Like x 1

8. He sometimes posts on here, PM and ask him although I'm not grassing his username

• Like Like x 1
  9. 30 mins of programme crammed into an hour - presented by a ....Blue Peter presenter (might be wrong on that) with lots of archive footage bunged in - deserts? sooo 2010.

Frankly I thought he came across really well. Sure, he gets 2 fellas looking after his CP and so he bloody well should. I'm getting really bored of the spacker journos getting worked up about whether he killed anyone or not - he's an Apache Gunner FFS. Then we have to descend into whether he was casual in comparing it to PS3 and whether this is a bad example for the yoof of today. More media frothing about whether he is "one of the guys". Seemed like a pretty normal Capt to me and I'm glad we have a Prince (maybe 2) who can get off his arrse and at least try to understand what we do by actually joining in.

At one stage the presenter declared that he wasn't the first member of the Royal Family to "seek sanctuary" in the Armed Forces. They really are trolls.

Good for him and I'm glad he made his feelings for the media quite plain.

Rantette over.

• Like Like x 1
  10. That's because the Regt do 12 months on HERRICK, 9 months off. However, the 9 months off requires unit CT and then PDT to go back out. This includes 3 months to America. Blokes can do two tours in the year on (9 months in theatre). This has been the same since 2007 (Apache moving to Wattisham). I know someone who is on his 7th tour (2x 6 month (1x infantry tour), the rest 4.5month (5 month with HO/TO)). Our R&R placed on the end of our POTL.

There is a reason the AAC had the lowest morale in the Army Attitude Survey, this year!

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Watched I and thought he came through it very well. How many other Captains have had their tour covered like this? Not many. He seems afairly pleasant young man. Don't know how many times the vacuous reporter reminded us that he hates the media. Don't blame him.

Now it appears some unnamed senior officers are pissed off that he didn't come across as a fifty year old crusty passed over major.

Poor bastard is in a lose/lose situation.

• Like Like x 5
  12. What exactly are the suits pissed off with? Unless it's CGS in which case I agree with him.

13. Hes ally, a pilot, and ginger. Fair play I think.

• Like Like x 1