Prince Harry could get SAS guard when on front line

Prince Harry could get SAS guard when on front line
David Leppard

PRINCE HARRY is to be guarded by his own detachment of SAS soldiers during military operations abroad, under plans being considered by the Ministry of Defence.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2087-2025722,00.html

I find this hard to believe! Any thoughts?

Why let him be a recce troop commander if you aren't going to let him work with his troop unhindered. Not that I'm saying that an SAS det would hinder them, just that if you are going to have an SAS det there why not just let them do the recce rather than adding them to the orbat?

I can't believe that Harry wants the protection and it doesn't do him any favours in the public view. he might as well be an RLC officer and stop in the stores. It's safer there.

Why not? Prince Andrew had that treatment in the Falklands!

If i couple of scimitars are in the poo a bunch of jedi travelling in a unarmoured landi are going to be in even more poo

Hang on, imagine if you were the CO, you could have your own little SAS unit to play with cool

"OK Harry, why not take your unit over here"

"But thats 70miles behind enemy lines sir"

"Oh I'm sure you'll be ok" quick wink the the jiffed CP team commander

It's in the Sunday Times, that oracle of veracity when it comes to military/ int/ law enforcement stories.

So it must be true.

Why waste manpower watching him.Stick him in an office somewhere around Whitehall and give him a pot of tea.

Lets think about this the army is over stretched and so they give Prince Harry and SAS guard it is just a waste of manpower stick him stores somewhere if thats the case, or let him get on and do his job like the rest of us with the same risks and earn respect like everyother officer with out SAS protection.

I am sure that a SAS CP team is the last thing that Harry wants, i would imagine that he will just want to get on with it and be just like any other Officer who has to learn and earn the respect of his men.

Sparky

bossyboots said:
Did he really? HRH was the aireborne taxi for a friend of mine for a few weeks after the war and he made no mention of the SAS body guard. Are you sure that a body guard adds much protection for a helicopter pilot.

Pteranadon said:
bossyboots said:
Did he really? HRH was the aireborne taxi for a friend of mine for a few weeks after the war and he made no mention of the SAS body guard. Are you sure that a body guard adds much protection for a helicopter pilot.
It wasn't the BG that made the difference - it was the three other airframes around his, full of scary-looking people with an enormous quantity of exploding lead, making sure that he was unharrased that made the difference :lol:

{Tongue removed from cheek}

Is the Honorouble (ok, sorry, I said tongue removed from cheek :twisted: ) - Is the Chancellor likely to increase the Defence Budget for the next x years to account for the increased cost of providing this close support? If you want to be purely mercenary about it (and I often do!), it will, yet again, boil down to cold, hard cash. Someone, somewhere down the line is going to end up seriously out of pocket over this fiasco...... but I guarantee it will not be the Blues & Royals, nor the gun club!

Ghostie

Maybe they could train the SAS types to be CVR(T) Troopers. Can you imagine? Ninja-skilled light tanks.

NTM

when prince charlie flew at yeovilton on seaking mk 4's the helicopter had an armed guard and everyone who worked on it was vetted, and when i say vetted, vetted way beyond normal terms!
when prince andrew was at RNAS Portland whenever he flew he always had another lynx in the air with him. I remember the first day he joined 702 squadron he said to the CO in front of everyone and said "you can call me HRH" and the CO said "You can call me Sir!" made andy look very small and stupid.
Just to prove what a cnut he was, one rainy day whilst stood on the main gate his jag pulled up and whilst it was pi55ing down with rain he wound down the window and asked if i was getting wet? i said yes sir, he said they dont make very good foul weather gear in the RN do they young man, No sir I said behind gritted teeth!, but when we did rounds at night in 702's building we always had a good look round his office and through his drawers in case he left any readers wives phots of Sarah Ferguson! Always rimmed his cup and left plenty of nose bogies on the inside of his sleeves on his pilot suit!!

Like an elite Waffen SS Panzergrenadier armoured div, CT? 8O

Do you think the Blues and Royals want him?

Stick him with (SQMC)Boots and Socks! he can spend his day's dressing up to his heart content! ;)