• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Prince Charles tried to stop war.

Nehustan

On ROPS
On ROPs
Prince Charles tried to stop war. Prince thought Tony Blair was wrong on Iraq and mocked him as 'our glorious leader'.

PRINCE Charles was so convinced Tony Blair was WRONG to take Britain to war in Iraq he broke Royal tradition and actively campaigned against the invasion, the News of the World can reveal.

News of the World

Just watched this piece being discussed on the BBC. They hinted that Charles was in a no win situation, damned if he did damned if he didn't, in regards to war; being pro the armed forces, while at the same time being anti war, especially when it is counterproductive. I have a feeling that HRH isn't the only person who feels the dissonance.

263A

War Hero
Nehustan said:
Prince Charles tried to stop war. Prince thought Tony Blair was wrong on Iraq and mocked him as 'our glorious leader'.

PRINCE Charles was so convinced Tony Blair was WRONG to take Britain to war in Iraq he broke Royal tradition and actively campaigned against the invasion, the News of the World can reveal.

News of the World

Just watched this piece being discussed on the BBC. They hinted that Charles was in a no win situation, damned if he did damned if he didn't, in regards to war; being pro the armed forces, while at the same time being anti war, especially when it is counterproductive. I have a feeling that HRH isn't the only person who feels the dissonance.
8O are you on our planet?

So Tony really listened and took his advice "under consideration" did he? Did he heck as like! H.R.H. found himself like many others IGNORED! Tony was going to war no mater what anyone thought.

Nehustan

On ROPS
On ROPs
263A said:
Nehustan said:

News of the World

8O are you on our planet?
Need a bit more information, I mean I get the general drift, but don't really have enough information on your position to put forward a reasonable response...

Nehustan

On ROPS
On ROPs
CQMS said:
The News of the World, that mighty tome of honesty and integrity.
That point was also touched upon by the BBC. They did go on to say that St. James's while not confirming the story, did not deny it.

(edited to add, I think the court response was that the piece was 'speculative')

Good on him. I would have stopped the fecker if I could.

And there is not much wrong with Charlie, he is a decent bloke in my book from what little I know of him. Besides, I was given half a day off school to celebrate his birth.

Look at the people who are lining up to condemn him before he appears before the enquiry, John Major and Charles Windsor this week-end alone. Blair has been dropped by the Establishment.

I'd have been impressed with all these people creaking out of the wood work if they'd managed to sway Blair at all. But they didn't. Despite their influence they achieved nothing. That's their failing. They watched as Blair amassed his power and influence. I'm not really interested in hearing them all cry 'I was terribly against it all you know' from the comfort of Blair having gone.

Bunch of weak spineless has-beens.

western said:
Look at the people who are lining up to condemn him before he appears before the enquiry, John Major and Charles Windsor this week-end alone. Blair has been dropped by the Establishment.
Good point western - methinks that Blair's forthcoming appearance before the Iraq Inquiry is likely to see more personalities ensure that the warnings, and caution communicated to Blair in the months and weeks previous to March 2003 are "out in the open" - Who is doing Blair's PR these days? :)

Fal - good to know there have been some winners! :D

The Prince had every right to express his opinion on his thoughts. He was in the enviable position of actually getting them heard, which is the kind of access that a lot of people wished they had.

whyohwhy said:
I'd have been impressed with all these people creaking out of the wood work if they'd managed to sway Blair at all. But they didn't. Despite their influence they achieved nothing. That's their failing. They watched as Blair amassed his power and influence. I'm not really interested in hearing them all cry 'I was terribly against it all you know' from the comfort of Blair having gone.
Constitutionally Charles or any of the Royals could have done absolutely nothing about the issues you raise so it's basically just a cheap shot, right?

Latest Threads