Prince 2

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by JonnyAlpha, Jun 12, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi;

I keep seeing adverts in my local DELC for PRINCE 2 exams but no courses. Does anyone have any info on free or subsidised PRINCE 2 courses. I also heard there are two types of PRINCE 2 courses, "Practitioner" and "Foundation", what's the difference and which one is best to have.

2. Linky to old thread about it.
  3. i did the PRINCE2 Foundation Course for free last August at the DELC in HMS Collingwood -it was all Computer Based Training (CBT) and a proper mind fcuk but worth doing if you want to tackle the exam and get the qual.

Foundation level indicates you actually know what someone else is talking about when it comes to the whole Project Process however Practitioner level indicates that you actually know what you are talking about.

give your local DELC a call to see if they run it and if not give the DELC at HMS Collingwood a call because they deffo do it there.
  4. There are those, who can manage projects and there're those who can't. Even with this qualifcation. I wouldn't bother, unless some other twat was paying for it.

The last guy I met who did this qual, was ex 14 int, though he was old enough to be FRU
  5. If you are going to do PRINCE you will need both Foundation and Practitioner. PRINCE 2 used to be regarded as the industry standard for entry into PM, however, you have to question the value of any course that can be completed in 5 days. You can use ELC to pay for most of the costs and both parts are done in the same week. I did mine at Bristol Management Centre which was OK.
  6. If you want to do MoD projects, you're stuck with PRINCE 2. It's a great tool if you're a process junkie and want to analyse a failed project to see where it went wrong, a load of complete, bureaucratic bollocks if you want to bring it in on time and budget. If you want to be a PM anywhere outside government, or government contracts which specify its use, don't bother.
  7. As stated, PRINCE2 is the industry standard project management methodology, both in private and public sector (including MOD). It describes a framework methodology for managing projects, based on processes and defined output/deliverable. Nothing in the methodology is compulsory (ie, you do not have to adopt a full-blown PRINCE approach to every project), although it is safe to say that reading between the lines, 'Quality' is the unwritten golden rule.

It is pretty easy to pick up, and indeed can be taught in three days. The Foundation exam demonstrates a knowledge of the principles. The Practitioner exam shows you know how to apply the processes. I took mine 12 years ago, the Foundation was multiple guess and the Practitioner a scenario based written exam.

In the private sector, PRINCE has become more important in the last decade. In 1996 there was little - if any - call for PRINCE certification. By 2002 a few vacancies would carry the requirement, and some forward-looking individuals in companies were seeking the qualification. Now, PRINCE2, AGILE, PPM are de facto. And if you don't have one, any CV will probably not get past the agency, let alone an HR first-line sort.

What PRINCE does not provide is a replacement for experience; you need the experience to know which bits of PRINCE to apply from the toolbox* But it is a good grounding.

Of course, it helps if the senior management in a company have an appreciation of the methodology, especially in the role of the Senior Customer and Project Board...

value as a course/qualification? Pretty much invaluable to get a look in for an interview. Also, if you are entering an organisation which uses PRINCE you'll be able to understand a conversation with other PMs, and know (or have the ref manual to consult) what they are talking about, and what you role is.

*My first introduction to PRINCE - when it was PRINCE not PRINCE2 - was in 1990/91 on the Fundamentals of Computing and Small Systems Design courses at 'Dads Army', Blandford. All-ranks All-Arms & MOD/CS course, we had a Sqn Leader who simply could not understand that one didn't have to use every aspect of PRINCE, and was unable to comprehend that it was a toolbox. And it could be used in other scenarios other than project management. I've used it to establish workflow processes in IT management & support departments, and ISP/telco operations, where engineers also provide design support. Why re-invent a perfectly good wheel?
  8. Thanks for all the replies, I'll pop into the DELC and see what's on offer.
  9. Spanish_Dave

Spanish_Dave LE Good Egg (charities)

10. I have just learnt that DELC has closed the doors on this in part - essentially, without a valid "business reason" they won't issue you a profile to access the material. Apparently, your "line manager" has to put together something like a One Page Business Case in order for you to even get a sign on. More bureaucracy!

I presume that this is cost cutting - I wonder how much DELC's budget has been cut if this is the case.

Disappointing but as previous posters have stated, PRINCE II is only useful to put on your CV for keyword database searchs by headhunters - it is not particularly practical.

Is this the beginning of the end for DELC? ( increased bureaucracy being an indicator of organisational decline).
  11. tiny_lewis's post above is interesting. I attened a couple of ex-Forces seminars recently when the subject of PRINCE2 came up. The view of these organisations was that they were not interested in it as they had their own tools.

Indeed their view was that knowledge of something like the seven questions was more valuable as it showed an ability to learn about processes & planning. They could then teach there own bespoke methodology.

Caveat emptor!
  12. PRINCE is still looked for in Project Management, but as Tinly Lewis says, its much more important to have experience of applying it, or alternatively not applying it, whichever is relevant for the project youre doing.
    Theres all sorts of other methodoligies (not stricly PM) out there, ITIL, Six Sigma etc etc, but just having a qualification in any of them but no experince wont help you get a job.
  13. Hootch - if you really want to know about it, there are plenty of resources on the net. I have the PRINCE2 Resources PM Training kit on CD, picked up a few years ago. Drop me a PM if you want a copy. I've no idea how good it is (never looked at it), nor how relevant (I was given it in 2004 or 2005). But its a start.
  14. Correct. Its proud boast that it was developed by the UK Gobment to bring in projects in time and at the projected cost doesn't stand up to scrutiny - the MoD being a marvellous example.
  15. It wasn't developed by the UK Govt; it was developed by BT originally. That said, when you look at why PRINCE managed projects fail, it isn't the fault of the methodology; its the failure of the individuals concerned.

I've sat in project meetings where the outputs have not been defined, where process has not been followed, where quality standards were compromised, heck, even when deliverables were not checked (and didn't exist). The best has to be where the customer had no defined requirements, so the supplier "defined" them and proposed to effectively sell the customer what they already had, with the customer assuming all the on-going operational risks.

The reality is, that once a 'standard' is preached within an organisation, it is immediately doomed, whether that be six sigma, PRINCE, whatever. Why? Senior management do not understand it (like any new subject, no one understands it until they have been taught it), but they feel they cannot express that. They do no understand their role/responsibilities, thus cannot demonstrate the required leadership. And/or they feel threatened that the introduction of such a methodology in another department may show deficiences in their own, or awkward questions such as "why did you not introduce this when..." (in other words, the blame culture so inherent in many organisations).

Simple fact is, projects do not run themselves, and do require a methodology. Whether the approach is functional, process, or output driven. I know what I know, and what I prefer to use. And I've not had a failed project yet. touch wood!