Previous Service

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Reserve Recruitment' started by damo567, Mar 2, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello,
    I'm thinking of joining the TA and was wondering if previous regular service counts in the TA?. Do you have to start at the bottom again or is there accelerated promotion?

Standby for many more questions!

Cheers

2. msr

msr LE

It does. You retain you rank for up to three years after you have left the regulars. If not, then you start again.

To be honest, the best people to ask are the unit you are proposing to join.

msr

3. depends on what your previous service was
    ie Army/Navy/ Air Force.
    How long you've been out
    How long you did
    How long at substansive rank
    if they have a slot you can go into with little or no re-training

4. Does this count from a different service? (RN?)

5. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

It depends on lots of different factors.

How long did you serve previously?

What cap badge / trade were you?

Is it the same as your new cap badge / trade?

How long have you been 'outside?'

What rank did you attain?

etc. etc. etc.

6. Was in the Royal Navy for 12 years. Left last year (Oct) as a CPO (Ssgt). Looking to join REME TA. Can understand the massive jump involved and really wouldn't mind starting out again. Just asking more out of curiosity.

7. Ravers

Here is a little ditty from me as I went through exactly the same situation.

I left the RN after 6 years in '07 as an OM1 passed in all respects for LET(WE) just waiting for a course. I joined the TA a month later and had to carry out all TA basic training and part 2 training. None of my previous qualifications have been recognised even though I joined the TA in a similar trade. My pay scale went back down to zero (except for my bounty which was top whack).

I would say join up because it is a good crack and considerably more professional and exciting than the RNR, but don't expect any special treatment apart from your bounty being at the top level.

Obviously your previous experience will put you in good stead during your career and that may be recognised by your seniors when they look at who to promote.

Edited to add: My unit where happy for me to be promoted to Lance Corporal straight away and resume my old trade, but the big scary people at Glasgow said no. Also you will have to relinquish your D2*** number for a sprog 300 service number.

8. Cheers for the advice,

Looked at the RNR, but it looks a bit micky mouse. Then thought about TA ... civvy street is boring and could do with a bit of service life still!

9. Ravers

Aye. Exactly the same reasons I joined.

I am now REME cap badged too. I was a small arms maintainer and worked WE part of ship, (close range, 4.5 and phalanx) for my whole career having done loads of engineering and weapons PJTs / Courses etc. Unfortunately none of this is recognised by Glasgow and I have to start from scratch completing a REME Armourer's Class 3 (the bottom level) course which is fun but a complete waste of time for me and the Army (not to mention cash).

Depending on your trade I suppose things could be slightly different, but I doubt it.

The Army are a good bunch on the whole but they have funny words for things like the heads and scran. I'd say go for it. :D