Previous Police Cautions

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Reserve Recruitment' started by SPinstructor, Apr 29, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello

Looking to join territorial infantry. I've got two previous cautions (not convictions). One was three years ago for common assault (got into a fight) and the other last year for theft (didn't pay for something I took from work).

Both were cases of making really stupid decisions and being in the wrong place at the wrong time (which is why I was let off with cautions both times)

Does anybody know if this will possibly get me rejected?

Points to maybe bear in mind are that they aren't considered convictions and I'm not a chavvy kid who likes to get into trouble (I had quite a respectable job until recently which I guess will also be taken into consideration by the assessment people(?))

Thank you very much for any advice you can offer!
  2. Anybody?
  3. msr

msr LE

4. Don't worry about cautions.
  5. msr

msr LE

The glossary published by the Criminal Justice System in England and Wales defines a caution as "A formal recording of guilt, given by a Police Officer, instead of a charge.

A caution is not a criminal conviction, but it does result in a criminal record [5]. It is recorded on the police database and may be considered in court in the event of the offender being tried for another offence. The record will remain on the police database for five years along with photographs, fingerprints and any other samples taken at the time.

Do make sure you declare it.

6. I'd declair it if I were you. Better to be honest now than look dishonest along with your cautions.

Before you put anything down on paper, it doesn't hurt to ask how it will effect your application.
  7. I didn't declare my caution, and it made no difference. Things may have changed since then though?
  8. If you have received a Police caution it is because you have committed what is called a 'Notifiable Offence', which means that the Police could take you to court for the offence but instead have decided to deal with you summarily which is within their powers. It will have been recorded on the system and normally stays on file for a number of years (5 usually, but varies by offence) and should you commit an offence of a similar nature in the future it is taken into account if the matter goes to court. If you are seriously considering joining the TA or regular Army you must declare it and in most cases it does not prove to be a barrier to getting through. However, should you not declare it and it is discovered on the background check when you are subject to a process called BC, as you will, it will bring into doubt your integrity and honesty and would probably prevent you from getting in. All cases are looked at on individual merit. I strongly advise on declaring it, get it on the table and it should not be a problem.
  9. Thanks for the replies guys.

I actually had no intention of hiding it or not declaring it. I was just wondering if I was likely to be rejected.

The offences resulted in cautions (and not convictions) because I admitted to it. If I tried to be a cleverdick and say "I didn't do nuffin officer" then it would have gone to court etc.

Thanks again. Looks like it should be ok. Fingers crossed eh?