previous attempt for regulars and T.A questions.

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Reserve Recruitment' started by The.phantom-wolf, Apr 11, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello, i tried to join the army last year as a regular to go to AFC Harrogate, however was deferred for team tasks. In the end earlier this year i decided i had to get a grip and try join as an officer when i can. Though now it seems that will take me a few years, so i was considering looking into the T.A for the meantime. I was wondering if i could get a few questions answered here. So here goes;

Last year i passed the medical at selection, would those results still count? would selection from last time around change selection this time around? (less of the tests i mean.)

How often can soemone in the T.A train?

and finally(at least as far as i can think at this moment) how long would initial training take? when would i start getting qualifications and skills? how long would it be before i could see active duty?

These are my primary questions, any answers are much appreciated!

2. A lot of your questions can be answered by using the search function. Regarding the tests im sure you will be re-assessed during your initial TA weekends.

3. No. It's a new application and would be handled separately (not all bad, as it's the same mechanism that allows you to apply for the regulars while still being in the TA.)

That depends. At least to start with, you'll be on weekend-on, weekend-off. Once you've finished training, it comes down to what's on the calendar and whether or not they need you.

Initial training - depends on which unit you join. But work on a basis of 6 months or so - you might get lucky, stars align etc. and get through quicker, but don't count on it.

Qualifications and skills? I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if you're joining the TA to rape it for civvy quals you're going to be disappointed. "Good" (i.e. marketable) stuff like driving licenses will come once you've finished training, kept your head down and proved you're worth the investment. Plan on waiting a year plus, and remember your unit will only pay for quals they need. Your wants are, I'm afraid, secondary. Bear in mind that a majority of military courses have a minimum rank associated - not many are rank-ranged to Pte...

Active service? If you join tomorrow, you're unlikely to finish Phase 1 much before September. Then you need to get on your Phase 2 course. Then you need to do whatever pre-deployment Phase 3 stuff your unit's capbadge director dictates (for Inf, it's called DIE and can take 9-12 months.) Iraq's done and Afghanistan is drawing down. You may not get to go at all.

This is good advice. You'll hear it often. I suggest starting here: Portal:Territorial Army - ARRSEpedia