Preventable Casualties Rommel’s Flaw, Slim’s Edge

philc

LE
The Germans allegedly called Italian tinned meat "Alte Mann" (old man) after the Armata Mussolini stamp on the can, saying it was made from the remains of old boys from the doss houses. Still,they ate it.
In the Royal Navy a large metal pot was called a fanny, when tined meat was introduced it was at the same time as a girl called Fanny Adams went missing near Alton. You can work out why.

Returning to the specific case of Rommel, two other factors.

1) Yes, the DAK was on Italian rations. But olive oil, pasta and tomatoes were pretty rare. Most of the time they were on tinned stuff, and let us just say that, as with much of Mussolini's war effort, these were shite even by tinned rations standards. Germans called it something like "muckefucke" (I may have the spelling wrong, cannot now find the precise reference).

**SNIP**
Muckefuck was originally an ersatz coffee - much like, in the UK context, Camp coffee. One suggestion is that the name originated during the Franco-Prussian War from the French expression Mocca faux (false coffee).

These days the expression is normally used to indicate that the coffee is extremely weak.

In the Royal Navy a large metal pot was called a fanny, when tined meat was introduced it was at the same time as a girl called Fanny Adams went missing near Alton. You can work out why.
Another variation was that canned meat could be full of gristle, very chewy and tough, like old meat

Basic hygiene is still taught in most armies to recruits, because,even in the era of fashion-conscious millenials, it has been found by recruit depots that people are joining who either don't know or deliberately skip parts of basic hygiene. This wasnt just dhobi in the field, it was basic personal washing/shaving/cleaning after shitting/washing hands and so on, as well as hygiene around food handling. In their defence, a lot of recruits these days have done home economics classes in school so are better informed about food handling, cleanliness with utensils and so on. Quite a few have also got experience at adventure sports so have a good grasp of outdoor living and the need for discipline around food/washing/toilet.
Apart from that, what is it about Arab towns? I was in Syria for a month,once and anywhere we went, the urban areas were usually strewn with rubbish and all local waterways were filthy.
Home economics?

The humiliation will be unbearable!

That's baffled me too, I mean as a boy I saw them squatting down to do their business. But what gets me is that the region was one of the leaders in the ancient world with respect to sanitation. I remember visiting Cyrene and there were underwater cisterns and drains there before the Romans even got there. I suppose it has more to do with tribal practices of some aspects of Bedouin Life.
Even in Mediterranean countries people are more concerned about the inside of their house than the outside. The obsession with a front lawn is very much a Northern European thing.

Zhopa

War Hero
what is it about Arab towns?
After due consideration and on the basis of long and careful study, my working hypothesis is that the answer is Arabs.

The Italien General officers could never understand why Rommel and his officers ate the same rations as his men.
Apparently Argie Officers had vastly better rations than their Soldatos, even mini Whiskey bottles in the ration

Muckefuck was originally an ersatz coffee - much like, in the UK context, Camp coffee. One suggestion is that the name originated during the Franco-Prussian War from the French expression Mocca faux (false coffee).

These days the expression is normally used to indicate that the coffee is extremely weak.
Thank you, finally found the reference and you are of course correct: muckefuck was the coffee, not the tinned meat - as was said above, the jokes about AM / Old Man certainly applied to that - and interesting about the possible French origin of the term. Apparently the British troops were amazed to find out from prisoners that they positively salivated at the thought of British issue bully beef...

Unremarkable

War Hero
That's baffled me too, I mean as a boy I saw them squatting down to do their business. But what gets me is that the region was one of the leaders in the ancient world with respect to sanitation. I remember visiting Cyrene and there were underwater cisterns and drains there before the Romans even got there. I suppose it has more to do with tribal practices of some aspects of Bedouin Life.
Cyrene was founded by Greeks. The Arab presence came later.

Latest Threads