Presumtion of accepting organ Donation

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Herrumph, Jan 13, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The PM has intended that he will change the law so that there is a presumption that anyone who dies was willing to donate any or all of their organs.

Is this the same sort of presumtion that:

the British public accepts the new EU constitution

the British public wanted him to take over

the British public want to fight wars in Iraq and 'Stan

Managing defence is only a part time job

2. I can see the benefits of such a system,just because it's from Broon's bunch of filthy lying pig's does not make it automatically A bad idea.However I would like to see A person have a certain amount of control over who get's what.For instance there is no way in hell I would consent to part of my body contributing to the survival of,say, aApeadophile or a politician.Apart from that I think the idea has it's merit's.

3. Herrumph whilst I am not a great fan of Mr Broown & not happy with a lot of his policies. I have to say from a moral & medical point I do think it's a good idea. It's saved countless lives in mainland Europe. If someone feels so strongly against it then they may opt out. It's simple.

If someone in my family was waiting for an organ I would be v grateful indeed.

4. msr

msr LE

You'll be dead anyway, so won't notice.

msr

5. I agree. Much as it pains me to say it, he seems to have got this one right. If someone really feels so strongly about not donating organs, they can simply put in the tiny bit of effort needed to fill in the required opt-out form.

Agreeing with GB? God, I feel so dirty...

6. i have to say i agree with it! As 58 said, if you don't want to do it, opt out! You can still choose which organs they can take. (I've said no to using my eyes, for some reason it just makes me go eeeuuuww)

7. msr

msr LE

8. "doctors will be expected to identify potential donors earlier and alert donor co-ordinators as patients approach death."

as far as i'm aware they already do this, putting the transplant co-ordinator on stand-by if a patient is seen as having injuries etc deemed to be 'not compatible with life'

9. Me too. I just cant bear the thought of that; irrational i know.
    The rest of me is pickled and probably useless though too......

But a good idea nonetheless.

10. i know...it IS irrational! Especially coming from a medical background, but i just couldn't do it! Same with my children, God forbid if anything ever happened to them, I'd donate their organs, but they couldn't have their eyes!!!

11. The Gov't can hardly claim this one - it's been around for a while and IMHO a good idea. Why, in a compassionate society can opting out not be the default?

And yes, I'll be dead. Sign me up for the whole mixed grill. What's left gets burnt and that surely has something of a carbon footprint. The more re-use the better.

And If someone wants to transplant my brain into the needy head of, say, a member of the cabinet then I'm even better placed to make a difference.

12. Having an opt-out system is much, much better than an opt-in system: people simply don't like to think about their own death / feel squeamish about organ donation. These aren't reasons, IMO, for those who need organs to suffer and die. As long as there's no question of compulsory post-mortem donation, I fail to see the problem: the implication that doctors will compromise treatment of potential donors is laughable.

13. Artemis
    the implication that doctors will compromise treatment of potential donors is laughable.

If somebody had told me 20 years ago people would be refused treatment if they smoked I would have laughed.I have always carried a donor card for all my organs but if this comes in I will definitely opt out.IMHO this should be left as it is

14. Why do folk have a thing about eyes ? I know quite a few people who are pro Donation but not eyes ? It's only your cornea & you will be Potato Bread. It does not hurt. I can't see the rationale. My GP suggested that the best place for my organs were Doner Kebab rather Donor Transplant.

[​IMG]